Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission Q!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
Greeting!

About 1 month ago I replace 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear syncro's. This wasn't my first time pulling the gear stack and all went smoothly.

I did have some difficulty getting the shift forks properly align as I did all of this WITHOUT any type of alignment tool or jig. It took several tries using a spare tranny case, but I eventually got them aligned such that I could shift into each gear.

I now have about 100 miles on the tranny, but occassionally, (every 1 out of 10 shifts??) I have trouble getting into either 2nd or 3rd. When I say trouble, I mean I push up into 2nd (for example) but it just won't go into gear. When this happens, I simply pull straight back (no side to side motion) and push back into second and it goes right in. Same thing happens in 3rd, but like 2nd it only happens occasionally. I can find no pattern to when this happens. It is just as likely to happen on upsifts as down shifts or going across the pattern vs staight up and down.

Do syncro's need break in time? Are my shift forks still out of wack? Other than this, all is well with the tranny. No grinding, no whinning....

Oh yeah, I would characterize my 2/3 gear slider as in VERY GOOD condition.

TIA
beer.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Get the fixture and the little spacer. Use 'em. The way you did it is just too imprecise. The Cap'n
charliew
Can I make a fixture out of a old 914 spare tranny and won't it work on a 911/901 also?

Charliew
toon1
how where the dog teeth?.

Mine had the same prob.(1st to 2nd) , if I waited for the rpm's to slow down a bit it would go in. I replaced the sycro's, dog teeth and sliders.

Can't say yet how it is on the road
dw914er
double clutch it lol
jr91472
QUOTE(toon1 @ Mar 8 2008, 09:09 AM) *

how where the dog teeth?.

Dog teeth are good too. I was just hoping to avoid pulling the gear stack....again...

I will be borrowing Clay's "special cut tranny case jig tool thingy" tomorrow.

thanks all
beer.gif
Dominic
QUOTE(charliew @ Mar 8 2008, 09:44 AM) *

Can I make a fixture out of a old 914 spare tranny and won't it work on a 911/901 also?

Charliew

Yes, and it will work much better than the tool that they sell to do the job. I'll see if I can find the picture of my set-up.

Dominic
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.