Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which tranny? 901 or 915
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JRust
So I have my new 914-8. It has the buick 215 as stated in my other post & above. I need to replace the clutch as it is slipping badly. The shifting also is extremely sloppy. I have a good 915 along with an complete 5-lug set-up I want to use. The rear 5-lug has the early 911 hubs & uses the thicker 911 axles. I pulled these out of a six conversion that had a engine fire. So although I don't have a history on the tranny I am sure it is good.

My question is the 915 a good transmision for this set-up? Or should I have a good 901 rebuilt for my purpose.

I know a sideshift is a better tranny anyway. Is the switch easy enough? I'm a little concerned with the engine mount for the buick being in the way?

Thanks
LvSteveH
I would think going to a nice side shift with an H gear 5th and taller 3d and 4th (free thanks to flipping of other gears) would work very well.

The 215 doesn't have the torque of a healthy 350. You probably don't have the torque to want to start off in 2nd all the time, so just take it easy with 1st gear. If shifted properly the 914 trans can hold up to a 350 V8 surprisingly well.

Going to the 915 is a pretty big deal. The stock ratios aren't really any better than the 914 trans, so by the time you flip the ring gear, install taller gears, and get a shift solution you'd be looking at $5000 without breaking a sweat.
PRS914-6
I would think the "big picture" If you plan on ultimately going for more HP I wouldn't invest a lot of money in the 901 since you will just have to repeat it for the 915. If the 215 is what you are going to stay with, the 901 is probably up to the task.

It's easy to pour a bunch of money in a 915 if you go WEVO, re-gear etc.
JRust
Here are a couple pics. This came off a 2.7 6 conversion. Since the axles were thicker & the flanges are a little bigger than my stock ones. I just assumed it was a 915. Can you tell by the pics what it is? I'm a little confused. It sure seemed like the sideshift was the same as my 4 screwy.gif I've been told it is a 901. Guess I am little confused why the axle flange is bigger than my other stock tranny. Just changed to match the thicker axles?
jimkelly
looks like running a 930 upside down is the way to go?

http://www.geocities.com/byndbad914/week09.htm

or right side up with flipped RP

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/indexx.html#
PeeGreen 914
That is a 901.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(LvSteveH @ Mar 8 2008, 08:10 PM) *

I would think going to a nice side shift with an H gear 5th and taller 3d and 4th (free thanks to flipping of other gears) would work very well.

The 215 doesn't have the torque of a healthy 350. You probably don't have the torque to want to start off in 2nd all the time, so just take it easy with 1st gear. If shifted properly the 914 trans can hold up to a 350 V8 surprisingly well.

Going to the 915 is a pretty big deal. The stock ratios aren't really any better than the 914 trans, so by the time you flip the ring gear, install taller gears, and get a shift solution you'd be looking at $5000 without breaking a sweat.

agree.gif

Or you could change it back to a Type IV and send me the 215 for my Healey/ av-943.gif shades.gif
JRust
I think I will stick with the motor blink.gif .

I guess they just changed the flanges to strengthen the overall rear end. Make sense I just assumed wrong. Shocker dry.gif Still I think it is destined to go in this car. I do want to go 5-lug & this is the perfect time to do it. I need to pull it to replace the clutch anyway. Now I just need find someone with a 7x15 chrome Fuchs to complete my set. Then I can do the swap. I'll be curious to see what clutch is in there. One from Kennedy or just?
PeeGreen 914
Yeah, when running higher hp engines it is best to change the CVs. I think the 901 will work well with the engine. The car looks good with the wheels it has, but your're right in it looking much better with Fuchs biggrin.gif
JRust
The Empi's do look okay. The 185's that are on it are about all that will fit with the stock body. Switching to the 5-lug will at least give me more options on wheels & tires. At least I know the offsets are better. Here is a pic of the 5-lug front end
LarryR
well I would say 915 ... that is ~ a 3.6 car so I would think a 915 would be about perfect.
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(JRust @ Mar 8 2008, 08:28 PM) *

Here are a couple pics. This came off a 2.7 6 conversion. Since the axles were thicker & the flanges are a little bigger than my stock ones. I just assumed it was a 915. Can you tell by the pics what it is? I'm a little confused. It sure seemed like the sideshift was the same as my 4 screwy.gif I've been told it is a 901. Guess I am little confused why the axle flange is bigger than my other stock tranny. Just changed to match the thicker axles?

Yours is a 901.
This is a 915 converted for mid engine use
Dr Evil
A 901 will be fine for your engine. I just built and shipped a tranny for a 215 buick. It was converted to 4spd and has a F, N, X, HBf gear set. the flanges you have on your 901 are from an early 911 901 box which allows you to use the 911 axles with the 901 tranny. They are a desirable thing to have as you can also use the 944 CVs that are more abundant and less expensive. You have a fine set up and you wont have to dump lots of money into the 901 to make it nice. You can upgrade to a bigger engine and tranny later when you win the lottery poke.gif wink.gif

Ask Michealt55 how he likes his box when he gets is installed. If the 4speed is an idea you like, it also saves you a LOT of money as you dont need to buy a 1st slider or parts. It cuts the rebuild cost in half.
JRust
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 8 2008, 11:12 PM) *

A 901 will be fine for your engine. I just built and shipped a tranny for a 215 buick. It was converted to 4spd and has a F, N, X, HBf gear set. the flanges you have on your 901 are from an early 911 901 box which allows you to use the 911 axles with the 901 tranny. They are a desirable thing to have as you can also use the 944 CVs that are more abundant and less expensive. You have a fine set up and you wont have to dump lots of money into the 901 to make it nice. You can upgrade to a bigger engine and tranny later when you win the lottery poke.gif wink.gif

Ask Michealt55 how he likes his box when he gets is installed. If the 4speed is an idea you like, it also saves you a LOT of money as you dont need to buy a 1st slider or parts. It cuts the rebuild cost in half.

Hah! I knew you would chime in eventually. I was hoping anyway. Michael told me he had you do a tranny for him. I may do the same with this one. What would it run to get mine rebuilt to the 4 speed you speak of. Pm with me with some details on the build & what it changes. Thanks Evil I'll look forward to your pm
PRS914-6
I really don't understand the concept of removing first gear except that it removes the temptation to use it. The problem with using a stock 2nd gear for 1st is heavy traffic situations with stop and go and hills. It can be really annoying when you are creaping along at 0-10 mph and very hard on the clutch. I would leave first in there just for that reason. Just don't stand on it in first. Why give up a gear on 5 speed box for 4 ? (930 the exception of course) Most days you won't use it but it's still available.

I have a re-geared 915 except my first is slighly lower than a stock 901 2nd. I use all 5 gears though. 98% of the time its awesome. The 2% of time stuck in traffic or on hills, it can be annoying being so tall even with a 3.6.

My vote, leave it in there. Just my opinion though.....
Gary

Looks like your 901 has the coarse-spline 915 output flanges, which measure ~108mm diameter. I cant tell if they're 4 bolt/2pin or 6 bolt flanges. They'll mate up fine with either 944 or 911 CVs.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Mar 9 2008, 09:32 AM) *

I really don't understand the concept of removing first gear except that it removes the temptation to use it. The problem with using a stock 2nd gear for 1st is heavy traffic situations with stop and go and hills. It can be really annoying when you are creaping along at 0-10 mph and very hard on the clutch. I would leave first in there just for that reason. Just don't stand on it in first. Why give up a gear on 5 speed box for 4 ? (930 the exception of course) Most days you won't use it but it's still available.

I have a re-geared 915 except my first is slighly lower than a stock 901 2nd. I use all 5 gears though. 98% of the time its awesome. The 2% of time stuck in traffic or on hills, it can be annoying being so tall even with a 3.6.

My vote, leave it in there. Just my opinion though.....

Your opinion is valuable smile.gif The good thing about removing 1st is that it is easy for the novice to put back in if they want to. Its not permanent and replacement of the 1st gear is easy.

Dr Evil
QUOTE(Gary @ Mar 9 2008, 09:46 AM) *

Looks like your 901 has the coarse-spline 915 output flanges, which measure ~108mm diameter. I cant tell if they're 4 bolt/2pin or 6 bolt flanges. They'll mate up fine with either 944 or 911 CVs.

This is true. I mistakenly typed that they were from a 911 901 when they are from the early 915.
PRS914-6
There is a coarse spline 108 mm that came in early 901's that will fit the 914-901. I had a set out of a 69 911.

The size difference:
Click to view attachment
Installed:
Click to view attachment
michaelt55
As far as the first gear and the 215's torque, while not as obvious, the 215 (1962) in stock form (Buick or Olds) has a 10.25 to 1 CR and in stock form makes and easy 185 hp with 230 ftlbs torque at 2800 rpm. Mine has a tad more oomph due to the fact it has redone heads with better flow, larger valves and a different cam produced by Shadbolt Cams in Canada. I am told my runs about 240 hp and power band is flat from about 1800-4500. Actually my compression ratio is just a tad lower @ 10 to 1. So I can actually take off in 2nd easily and with a little extra throttle can smoke the tires in second. The car will never beat a SBC with power cause nothing beats cubic inches BUT the weight..at 350 lbs..its lighter than other V8's and almost the same as the 4 cylinder..
I will never miss the 1st gear here in Texas, no hills to start off on but it would be helpful in places like SF or West Virginia... if it becomes an issue..maybe the doc makes house calls? laugh.gif

But I need a class by Paul or Mike on the transmissions...cause I don't know squat about them..

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 9 2008, 10:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Gary @ Mar 9 2008, 09:46 AM) *

This is true. I mistakenly typed that they were from a 911 901 when they are from the early 915.
charliew
Michaelt55 I watched a little pontiac for about 20 years setting beside an old beerjoint on Hwy 31 or 84 east of Waco. Many years ago I got out and went an looked at it. The hood was up and the windows out or down. I thought it would make a neat project but was worried about parts so forgot about it. Seems like a few years ago I noticed it was gone. Do you worry about parts? And is it the same outside dimensions as a sbc just lighter?
Charliew
JRust
[/quote]

They are 2pin / 4bolt flanges. I'm not to worried about pulling first. I think I am going to put this 901 in my car soon. I want to get my 5-lug setup on it soon. I may send off another tranny to get redone. I'm not real sure at this point how I am going to go with everything. I appreciatte all the advice as it helps me decide.
michaelt55
QUOTE(charliew @ Mar 9 2008, 10:53 AM) *

Michaelt55 I watched a little pontiac for about 20 years setting beside an old beerjoint on Hwy 31 or 84 east of Waco. Many years ago I got out and went an looked at it. The hood was up and the windows out or down. I thought it would make a neat project but was worried about parts so forgot about it. Seems like a few years ago I noticed it was gone. Do you worry about parts? And is it the same outside dimensions as a sbc just lighter?
Charliew

slightly smaller in size, not much, cause its the basis for the 300. Parts are actually easy to find due to the Rover...in fact there are two parts place on line that I frequently that has some really great go fast stuff...

Michael
JRust

[/quote]
slightly smaller in size, not much, cause its the basis for the 300. Parts are actually easy to find due to the Rover...in fact there are two parts place on line that I frequently that has some really great go fast stuff...

Michael
[/quote]

I'll be interested in some go fast stuff eventually. I'll be happy with how fast it is right now for at least a month av-943.gif
Once I get my tranny & suspension all set I'll be ready for go faster aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.