Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who's going to Alameda next weekend?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr. Roger
=)

piratenanner.gif
SirAndy
i'll try to get my car ready by then ...

driving.gif Andy
ConeDodger
Leaving for Chicago at 0-Dark-30 to teach a seminar at the Hyatt OHare... I will be wishing I was at Alameda... sad.gif
Dr. Roger
I raised the rear of my car, to change the camber from waaaay negative (guessing -3) to about -1.

I went out yesterday and it's like night and day. Where there was once obvious over steer, there is now more balanced cornering. Now I have to really throttle-induce the over steer which is actually how I like it.

This is great having all of these adjustments on a car. =-) cheer.gif

Chris Pincetich
1 in 20 chance my 914 will be put back together. While trying to figure out one problem, I just tore into another upgrade... but if I work a lot this week it may all get done. Once I'm rollin I can't wait to race again. beerchug.gif
Borderline
Not sure. It will depend on the weather, my fair-weather car doesn't like the rain. My f/g deck lids aren't done yet, but I am anxious to check out the new front suspension and added neg camber to the rear! biggrin.gif
DanT
just get a good set of rain gear Bill happy11.gif

weather report has gone back and forth from clouds to sun to showers....so until we get closer we are still guessing. sad.gif

I will be there regardless, since I am course designer and have to be there for set up.
If it is wet, I will probably run the old Hankook 211s, they still have deeper grooves than the brand new 710s.
Keep the new 710s for a sunny day.
Borderline
My experience has been that one-week away they are gonna get the weather forecast wrong, for sure. I'll need good weather both Friday and Sat. I'd be coming up Friday and spend the night. It's too far, too early, too dark to drive Sat morning. I'll probably be there...just don't know if the teener will be there. smile.gif
DanT
smilie_pokal.gif
cobra94563
I may try to get there.... look for an orange car and say hi !
DanT
the more 914s the better.... biggrin.gif
Dr. Roger
Andy, wadda' you need to get done?
Dr. Roger
Dan, I have a thought.

Do I need to be a member of the PCA to play on Saturday? (Like some had to join the Empire Car Club for last years Ramble A/X)

Thanks,
DanT
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Mar 10 2008, 11:50 AM) *

Dan, I have a thought.

Do I need to be a member of the PCA to play on Saturday?

NO biggrin.gif
biosurfer1
Dan,

My teener is in no shape to AX, but if Justin and I make the trek out, can I have a ride in your 2056?smile.gif
DanT
Unforturnately, when two people are in a car on course, one of the people must be an instructor. The other rule is that both persons must be registered, paid, participants.
This was done years ago due to the insurance that we have from PCA National.

sorry, being the competition director and also the safety chair for all competitive events, I have to make sure we follow the rules. smile.gif sad.gif
biosurfer1
I didn't mean on the track, I meant just a ride anywhere.... I'm trying to figure out what size engine I want to build and have not had a chance to ride in a 2056 yet.

smile.gif
Chris Hamilton
Had the red car repaired, it's just about perfect, just needs some bodywork now. I'll be there anyways, even if the rear fenders look kinda funny.
Andyrew
I am hoping to take the 944 turbo out.. I might even take the audi for a last hura in the stock turbo.. (Stage 3 280+hp coming this week)

Andrew
SirAndy
i'm officially out ...
sad.gif Andy
Dave_Darling
I'm out. Damn flu...

--DD
Chris Hamilton
Looks like we're gonna need some rain tires. biggrin.gif
Dr. Roger
My Pilot Sports suck in the rain.... but I'm still going. =)
Andyrew
I have work, and neither car is ready...

Take pics roger!

RAIN?? Aww now I really wish I could take the audi.....I have been dying to autox in the rain...
Dr. Roger
Geez, don't everybody post their pics at the same time. biggrin.gif

Well my first AX was very educational... and great fun. driving.gif

I got teamed up with a 4 time class champ who drives this bad-ass, winged, black, newer 911 looking beast with slicks. Got a spin in that thing and "Wow".
Then got 2 1/2 laps in my car.

Yes 2 1/2 laps. dry.gif . first lap did a 1.23. Second lap 1.28. Third lap was going fine until I decided to throttle up a little too much going through the turn-around... then spun out and killed a cone. The cone yanked on one of the cooling lines going from the remote water pump to the engine. headbang.gif (both pump and fitting are aluminum) I didn't tap the threads very deep so the fault is my own. Not the fitting or the pump.

I overheard someone say something about surge tanks on vasser pumpers but my car never sees the temps required to blow water and I installed higher pressure caps at the front and rear tanks. I had a plastic tank on the rear tank for a year and it never surged or purged a bit so I never reinstalled it after this engine rebuild. Still don't see water come from it.

I did feel guilty for laying down some water/coolant on the track and the officials stopped racing for a few minutes until it was identified as not oil. Coolant is still slippery when wet and I felt pretty bad. headbang.gif

So the modifications I need to do on Bebe now are:
Re-tap my fittings deeper into the water pump.
Double clamp all hoses.
Relocate my water pump higher. Probably at the level with where the rear relay board used to be.
Make all my hoses, lines, cables, bullet proof from killer cone threats.

One zip tie will not protect my speedo cable from a killer cone.

My instructor did say he was surprised with my cars handling and power. happy11.gif

And "No", I didn't pay him to say that. beerchug.gif

Anyone take any other pics? I didn't get one pic of her in action. wacko.gif

BTW, the track dried out quickly and was totally dry by the afternoon.
DanT
Sorry you broke Roger, but glad it wasn't anything too bad. biggrin.gif

there are some pics of your car posted on Club. smile.gif

glad you finally came out and gave it a go. Hope you don't get discouraged because of the break down.

we had about 10-12 914s, which is a pretty good turn out considering it was wet out....to start the day.

914s did pretty well in the overall standings. results should be on the GGR website sometime this week.

the coolant you put down, dried up pretty quickly, (thanks for getting off the line and pulling off course so quickly cheer.gif )
Dr. Roger
Dan,
Thank you for your words of encouragement. Times are tight for me right now but there's no reason why I can't make it to the next local gathering. I'm not going without making some mods to be better prepared for next time though. smile.gif
Cone-proofing, ya' know? LOL biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

I highly encourage anyone who has not tried this before to give it a try.

Heck, if this beater can race, why not you?
driving.gif

DanT
I believe that was a 24 hours of Lemons car being sorted out for that event.

glad to hear you will be back for more biggrin.gif
Chris Pincetich
I'm bummed I couldn't make it, but with a 901 in pieces and fighting a cold it was not a good day for racin.
Roger - you will find that AX racin will help identify the weak points on your car. You'll keep pushin and things will come to the surface. My first 3-5 races had some sort of minor repair involved, from loose and sticky throttle cable, loose battery, unhooked clutch cable, to broken alternator belt. After that, everything stuck and I've done 5-7 races without needing to do anything but safety check and adjust the radio station beerchug.gif
Hose clamps are stronger than zip ties wink.gif
Dr. Roger
Big "Thanks" to NoCones for my one token action shot. piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif

koozy
Hey Roger,

Sorry about your car. I was driving so I didn't have much time for photos but my pops was there with me and got one action shot. I did take the pic of your car in the morning though. It was my first AX so I was not paying enough attention to what was going on around me or I would have come up to say hi.

Mike

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
koozy
It was a beautiful morning and the day turned out to be very nice.

Click to view attachment
koozy
I had a blast. Now to take care of this body roll...

Click to view attachment

koozy
Lots of cones.....

Click to view attachment
koozy
More photos and a little write up in the April issue of 914 Magazine
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(koozy @ Mar 18 2008, 12:23 AM) *

Hey Roger,

Sorry about your car. I was driving so I didn't have much time for photos but my pops was there with me and got one action shot. I did take the pic of your car in the morning though. It was my first AX so I was not paying enough attention to what was going on around me or I would have come up to say hi.

Mike

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks Mike,

The whole thing with the action shots is that I want to gain insight into how the car performed and my camber adjustment at the front and rear under load.

NoCones pic looks like I could use some more negative camber at the rear turning right, but your pic looks like it's about right turning left. Dunno... =)

I'll bring the video cam next time fer sure
Just another lesson learned.... popcorn[1].gif

Geez, I gotta' paint over that rainbow looking scheme on the sail panel.... someones gunna' think I'm something I'm not. =-O
koozy
Remind me next time and if we are not running in the same group I'll shoot a bunch for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.