Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My next project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
twoskinuts
All this creative talk got me in the mood to share. This is in the development stages yet but I got alot figured out on paper. An the lids I have hookup already to open this far with out changing the moving part of the motor is all done with the lid. Tell me what you think!!
KaptKaos
I dig it.

I always thought that the lights were a weak styling point.
boxstr
Reminds me of the early Miata light changes. Looks good.
CCL
dw914er
that is pretty cool

another idea, something similar to the old datsun zed cars, where the headlight is in the back, and so you mold a piece metal to hold the lights, and it slopes back up with the hood (a way to sorta remove pop up light feature)

hmmm, i should see how that would look

thanks for inspiring another idea

anyways, good luck on the design work, i am curious to see how it develops
dw914er
btw, looks like you might do an hd light for it

that would be pretty sick, and def work better than our standard halogen light
914Sixer
Keep in mind the age of the cars wiring. Depending on the type of lighting used, the voltage draw may cause wire heating. Make sure you have some sort of relays installed.
twoskinuts
My intensions is to make it halogen right now to upgrade little down the road to HID just because of the cost of the HID systems that will fit in the headlight bucket for hi/lo beam setup is $2000 right now. The halogens I'm going to use are 55watt lo beam projector an a 65watt hi beam reflector setup so the original wiring should be ok at these wattages if not I have a extra fuse block in f.trunk aready if need be. Then upgrade to HID high beam and ending up with dual projectors! An a headlight mount hook to all the original mounting points & motor so if I want I can switch back to original no problem!!
charliew
Looks like a interesting idea. what front end treatment are you using?
Charliew
PanelBilly
I'd like to see a molden piece around the lamps, so it had a finished look. Something simple painted in black. That way it wouldn't stand out too much.
Katmanken
I like it...

If it only opens that far, there will be less drag and less blocked visiblility....

Ken
r_towle
I love the idea.
What are the larger lights that you are using?
Can two of the larger lights fit in that space?
I have always thought that two lights, maximum size for
the space, like 4 inches, would look really cool.

I love the lower opening of the lights...cool.

Keep posting picks so I can copy your ideas...

Rich
twoskinuts
I have access to a racecar shop we built dirt modified bodys out of sheet alum. so it will be wrapped in alum. prepaint black. No way I can test for drag but they ownly stick up about 4 inchs tops so definitely less to look at from the driver seat biggrin.gif The ones i'm looking at the lens is 3 1/2" but you can't get two of them in there the bucket to small!!
dw914er
i wonder for the turnsignals if there is just a longer, 1 piece rectangular one to use instead

idk idea.gif

anyways, keep workin on the idea, i think it will add a new, more agressive look to the car with that light set up
twoskinuts
There 911 turnsignals going in the f.bumper the ones that are in the pic. I hooked them up like that so I could drive the car this past summer!
PeeGreen 914
Your work is very nice.I love the look of the headlights myself, but what you're doing is amazing. It's always fun to create something on a car that becomes your art. Keep it up and please keep showing it to us.
Twise
I had that same idea - So, you do all the work and then I will buy them from you....

NIce...
Betty
Heck yeah! ANYTHING at all that you can do to see better at night - and be SEEN better at night is great.

I've always thought the headlights were a real weak point on 914's.
championgt1
Looks nice. I always wondered what it might look like with plexiglass light covers over the headlight. Like the 924 carrera gts cars.

Something like this.
Click to view attachment
Dude im loving the pop up lights. that is freaking genuis. hey would you mind if i used it on my car? but i would leave the stock fenders on mine. i like the stock front blinkers.
dw914er
that gts idea was sort of what i thought

keeps everything low, and the new fenders would probably make it look mean ass hell
914pipe
4 years ago tough to do a low rise pop up lights…… then I went like this.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I love the way your getting with this.... AWSOME aktion035.gif
geniusanthony
The only error in using the 924GTS lights behind plexi is the vertical height of the teener flaps vice the 924's, only a few inches if memory serves. I am loving Dan's solution though and can't wait to see it finished. He does some nice fab.

Dan, you mentioned using alum as the "Bezel" around those lamps, and not knowing your vision of the final product I would still like to suggest some molded bezels. kind of like how lowrider guys will build a wooden frame and drape the compsite over it. Looks really smooth when they apply it to their umpteen subwoofers. Just a thought and best of luck on your vision.
QUOTE(nukepipe @ Mar 10 2008, 07:29 PM) *

4 years ago tough to do a low rise pop up lights…… then I went like this.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I love the way your getting with this.... AWSOME aktion035.gif

nice i may do something similar to get rid of the popup mechanisms. less weight!
twoskinuts
I like that gts look also but i think the hood line is to steep an it wouldn't allow the light to shine down the road an there's really not alot of room in the headlight bucket to work with. An if you want to use my idea go ahead have fun!
sixgt
The fixed Carrera GT headlights can be done, you can carry the front of the headlight bucket down lower into the top the front bumper. It would have a similar profile to the GT headlight covers, having 2 angles and not just the flat lid.
twoskinuts
Hey Tony, The lights im looking at come with a bezel. An the alum. is to inclose the light fixtures.
twoskinuts
An I almost went with no popups but change my mine.
twoskinuts
Reneage has a video of a pop-up spoiler really cool stuff!!! http://www.renegadehybrids.com/PressReleases/PR06.html
purple
I Love this idea! It looks great and projector beam headlights are awesome! I had HID's on my miata and it was the best set of lights i've ever had on a car.

I can suggest maybe instead of dropping t M notes on some HID's you could find some standard bulb projectors. Mazda uses them on everything but the top of the line cars (grand touring) so i know they exist. I bet they'd be a lot less spendy and you'd get a very similar effect. And you wouldnt have to install the transformer that the HID arclamps need!
twoskinuts
The low beams are halogen projectors here a pic an the hi beams are just like the ones in the pics on top of this page. Then when I save up some $$$ I'll upgrade to HID high beams to match the low beam projectors for a full set.
PeeGreen 914
So Since you have all this access to aluminium haev you thought of making them fixed and manipulating The aluminium over them to make it look stealthy rather than boxy? Kinda to match the look of the one on the top of the page.
McMark
HEY!!! You crawled into my brain and stole my idea... aktion035.gif

Lookin good! Keep us posted!
plymouth37
QUOTE(twoskinuts @ Mar 10 2008, 10:01 PM) *

Reneage has a video of a pop-up spoiler really cool stuff!!! http://www.renegadehybrids.com/PressReleases/PR06.html

That is my car, and yes it was a pain in the ass to design! sawzall-smiley.gif
To address the head-light issue, I just welded mine shut and put small round headlights in the fog light holes.
twoskinuts
Dana, Nice to meet you kinda. I did alot business with renegade building my car I talk poor Scott's ear off & Mike acouple of times to when I doing was doing my motor job. I really like your fab job on your wing is excellent man. I was looking at your pics I can't put one on my car all them bars that work the wing go right where my golf bag fits laugh.gif An my lights I like the popup thing I'll get them in there!
Cevan
I saw your avatar in an episode of Top Gear.
Rand
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Mar 10 2008, 07:12 PM) *

I always wondered what it might look like with plexiglass light covers over the headlight. Like the 924 carrera gts cars.

Reminds me of one of our member's cars in New York....
purple
QUOTE(twoskinuts @ Mar 11 2008, 02:11 PM) *

The low beams are halogen projectors here a pic an the hi beams are just like the ones in the pics on top of this page. Then when I save up some $$$ I'll upgrade to HID high beams to match the low beam projectors for a full set.

It would be better to have HID low beams because of the ways hi beams are used.

Hi beams are normally blinked or change from off to on to off to on.

HID's really dont like this kind of thing. They are like those streetlamps in that they have to 'strike' and then come up to temperature.

The strike is what is hardest on the bulb and the transformer and using them as a 'blinking' light will burn the bulb out very quickly. Using them as headlights is fine because they are on and stay on for a prolonged period, which is fine for them.

Just FYI new HID bulbs run ~$250
championgt1
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 11 2008, 03:36 PM) *

QUOTE(championgt1 @ Mar 10 2008, 07:12 PM) *

I always wondered what it might look like with plexiglass light covers over the headlight. Like the 924 carrera gts cars.

Reminds me of one of our member's cars in New York....

Exactly what I was thinking of.

Thanks for the pic. beerchug.gif
twoskinuts
Purple, Thanks for the info new at this HID thing didn't know that maybe I'll just keep hi beams as is and upgrade the low beam to HID.
twoskinuts
Update: I got the basic frame work done on my headlight project I got it all hooked up with all the original hardware! I got the lid mounts on I have the hi-beams once I get the low beams I'll weld mounting plates for the lights on the frame here some pics!!
twoskinuts
Update continued from last page: couple more pics
twoskinuts
So, it's been a while since posted here as you can tell by the dates on this post lol and I'm back at it again.

And I have LED projectors for the headlights now but first I have to wait for it to get out of the body shop they started painting yesterday and I'm really liking it!!

More pics to come!
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Damn, 15 years later!

Welcome back ...
beerchug.gif
Cairo94507
Holy thread resurrection Batman! Welcome back- a nice coat of color always helps. beerchug.gif
twoskinuts
Here it is with a few hours work yesterday.

I used the Chalon kit but cut the sail panels off and had the accordions taken off the bumbers never liked that about the kit to fill the void cutting the sail panels off had some custom scoops put in there not functional yet alot more work to be done.

Click to view attachment
barefoot
QUOTE(twoskinuts @ Sep 5 2023, 06:37 AM) *

I used the Chalon kit but cut the sail panels off and had the accordions taken off the bumbers never liked that about the kit to fill the void cutting the sail panels off had some custom scoops put in there not functional yet alot more work to be done.

Click to view attachment

My Chalon kit had been altered similar to yours deleting the accordions and adding oil cooler vents in front of the rear fender openings. Just fits a small oil cooler back here.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
twoskinuts
Nice, I at one point was going to go with red but changed my mind to yellow.
burton73
QUOTE(twoskinuts @ Sep 5 2023, 03:37 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Dan,

I really like where you are going on your car. Keep it up. There are custom body haters, but I dig it. A unique Car. The yellow is also right on

Bob B I guess I missed your early postings so:

welcome.png
twoskinuts
Thanks Bob love your car btw and the color. lol
And dealt with the custom side of it here in the past have no problem with it.
AZBanks
I went with BiXenon HID fixed lights on my 944.

My plan is a one piece header panel to eliminate all of the headlight gaps.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.