Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering shaft bearing replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
My steering shaft bearing (the one closest to the driver) is worn. There is play between the inner and outer races. I plan to purchase a replacement bearing from Pelican Parts. Is a shim needed or does the inner race of the bearing fit tight on the shaft?

The PO had installed a metal shim on the steering shaft. I'm not sure why as I can't imagine the inner race getting worn against the shaft.

I've read on other posts about a plastic shim on the car originally getting broken. I can't find this part on my parts catalog anywhere but there were remnants of this piece when I took the column apart. Is this part needed with the PP replacement bearing?
jesiv
This should help you out.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=80465

Regards,

James
Cevan
Thanks, I read that one before. But it still doesn't answer my question. Is a shim/sleeve needed when using this bearing or does the bearing's inner race ride right on the steering shaft?
jesiv
Sorry for not directly answering.

As I recall, the bearing's inner race rides right on the steering shaft? You use the shim/sleeve when the bearing's "plastic" inner race fails.

Cevan
Ahh, the OEM bearing had a plastic inner race. That would explain it. Thanks jesiv.
ericread
I replaced the steering wheel bearing in my 74 2.0 a few weeks ago. When I put the new bearing in I found that there was some play between the outside of the bearing and the steering wheel protective tube (column). I used some folded tin foil as a shim between the bearing and the column. This casued the bearing to seat firmly, and removed any play. I don't have a problem with the fit between the inside of the bearing and the steering shaft, which is more common.

Good luck!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.