Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Silver gray goo used to seal my /6 oil tubes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Title says it all. I am wondering what this silver gray goo is that was used to seal my oil tube seals. It is very viscus, but non hardening.

Thanks!
wilchek
Sounds like a personal problem that should be in the sandbox. av-943.gif
914Sixer
Sounds like anti-seize compound. The tube of Permatex I have would fit the description.
rick 918-S
A picture would help but it sounds like Yamabond. Greatest stuff since sliced bread.
iamchappy
Threebond 1104 ? The green viton seals should be all you need though.....
jimkelly
here is an alternative

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...65297&st=40

The secret: Toyota transaxle packing compund - AKA 'red stuff' --- it is non hardening and will move with the tubes as the flex --highly viscous, it pulls and fills in voids --
Dr Evil
I was thinking it is the thread locker stuff. Its not 1104 as that is white and 1204 I hear is gray. I need to find something that will work that I can get locally if possible. About the seals, if the green are the viton, then what are the orange? I just replaced the green ones I had with new orange ones since it was out. Shall I expect leaks in the future? I could have sworn that I ordered viton when I ordered these as I know they are better.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Mar 9 2008, 08:01 PM) *

here is an alternative

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...65297&st=40

The secret: Toyota transaxle packing compund - AKA 'red stuff' --- it is non hardening and will move with the tubes as the flex --highly viscous, it pulls and fills in voids --

Hmm, I have dealers here that will likely have that stuff. Thanks!
J P Stein
The preferred goop is silicone *grease*. Sil-Glyde is one brand name....at your local FLAPS. Any oil based product will wash off with exposure to oil. Both the orange & green O rings are good, installation with the "right stuff", and your O ring seats need to be smooth.
Cap'n Krusty
35 years using plain old oil and not a leaker yet ................. The seals are designed for a seal/metal interface. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.