Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: difference between Massive4 kit and turnkey
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
weekendfun
I have been searching the massive4 site and if I am starting from scratch, completely stock engine and have to buy new carbs, ignition, and everything else for a 2270 engine kit, how much difference would that be then if I were to just get a 2270 turnkey, and what would the difference in HP and TQ between the 2?
wilchek
First, welcome to the club and the slippery downward spiral into 914 ownership.

Touch base with Jake at massivetype4 and he will give it to your straight. All his engines are built to customer specs so there is not set price for turnkey. The kits and turn key engines all require you to buy carbs and the rest of the set up stuff. He set up the kits trying to help with the cost and that fact that he has a waiting list, that some people don't want to wait for. The bottom line is the turnkey will be ready to run with Jake putting it on his dyno and tunning it. You pay for his time. If you can afford Jakes engines go for it but it can be expensive once your are done. BTW this is just my two sense, talk to Jake he will give it to you straight and honest. You get what you pay for.
davep
Turnkey will be a more advanced version than the kit form in addition to what was said above.
ConeDodger
There are tricks of the trade that get put into the turnkey motors that don't get into the kits. Plus the options list is almost endless. Coated bearings, pistons, ARP everything, Jake even has some process that makes the crank and rods look like polished chrome. I guess it makes the oil slick right off???

The kit is the kit. Jake would have to know you and trust you to vary from the kit much. His name is stuck to the motor. You screw up, the shit still sort of lands on him.

The turnkey comes to you on a crate broken in a controlled setting on the dyno, the first oil change and valve adjustment done. You install and abuse.

The kit requires break-in in the car while driving public roads at the mercy of public traffic. Always a compromise. Then after a 1000 miles, you change the oil, adjust the valves and abuse...

The turnkey motor can cost as much as you can imagine...

The kit price is right there on the page. Not a penny more. It is so complete I sent Jake an email because I was sure that the six pack of beer was left out. Everything else was there though...

(I am not advocating intoxicated engine building. Engine building while intoxicated is illegal in 33 of the 50 States. Please don't drink and build engines drunk.gif )
McMark
Two differences:

1. A turnkey is ready to install, a kit needs to be built first.
2. The kit motors are based on 'older' engine designs, so the turnkey offerings have all the 'latest and greatest'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.