Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AAR - need alittle clarification on how to test
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
Hey guys, been through a bunch of threads on the AAR. It wasn't clear to me how to test it when it's off the car. There was mention of hooking up a 12v sorce to it so it heats up and closes. How exactly do I do that? Do I hook up a + line off my car battery to the wire off the AAR? Does it need to be grounded when I do that?

Thanks,

Tod
TheCabinetmaker
Yes and yes
Rand
I gave mine the float test. It sunk. laugh.gif
tod914
thanks Curt. lol Rand. So If i drive my car in a lake and it has a good aar it should float? Was always wondering how they did that with beatles.
Rand
laugh.gif
IPB Image

No, just the AAR. tongue.gif
Mine is without, and I like it that way.

If yours is sticky, maybe squirt some good penetrating lube through it and test again.
p914
I have 2 045s available if you decide you want one.
Hammy
Where do you put the ground? AAR case?
roadster fan
Yep case.

I just took two faulty ones apart and fixed em two weekends ago. If you cant get it working send me a pm and I will post he procedure I used.

Jim
JeffBowlsby
Its just a simple heater circuit. Red wire to +12V, case to ground. Shaft rotates on bi-metallic spring to open/close airway with heat.
tod914
So when I hook it up to the car battery and ground it, how long should it take before it closes?

Thanks for the replies.

I seen the rebuilt article by Mr Anders. Was rather interesting. The one I have now, is a rebuild from AA. I can see where the lip was cut off then epoxied upon repair. I have the original that went bad do the wire shorting, think I'll try the repair on that being it's toast any way.
JeffBowlsby
A few minutes. Engine heat alone is enough to close it even without power.
tod914
Jeff Im still trying to locate that 75 engine sticker for you. Haven't forgot about it. If I locate it, I'll be sure to send u a digi photo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.