Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 engine w/2.0 throttle body?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scrz914
My engine has the engine code "W" (early 70's) but has the square air cleaner and the vertical TB. The upright TB is for the 2.0, right?
Is there a reason the PO did this other than he just threw together what he had in his back yard.
Honestly, it seems strong enough. But I don't see why he didn't add a bigger exhaust as well. I haven't checked the other components such as the ECU, MPS, Injectors, but wouldn't they have to be 2.0 as well to work with that TB?

Where do I go from here? Thought I had a 2.0. Damn. ar15.gif
southernmost914
You may not have a GA case but it could still be a 2.0, look at your heads, intake manifold - heads, 3 or 4 bolt?
scrz914
4 bolt.
I thought maybe bigger P/C were put on and the heads were reworked. But that's just wishful thinking on my part.
scrz914
So, has anyone heard of this combination? Is there an advantage/disadvantage?
914Sixer
They may have used 1.8 914 or 2.0 bus heads, that way you do not have to change the exhaust. Yes, the valves could have been opened up and the crank and rods replaced There is only a little difference in the exhaust system. All the cases are the same. W case is usually in better shape than a GA case according to Jake.
r_towle
I guess if I was faced with this I would do two things.

First, either borrow or buy a wide band O2 sensor to determine what your
Air/fuel ratio is as right now.
You can go to a gas station and have them hook it up on a dyno to test this also.

Then, if that checks out and you are not running to lean, you can drive it.

The second thing I would consider is drop the motor and pull one of the heads.
Measure up what you have, pistons, strok, and valve size.

You may have a 2.0 liter, just not in the original case.

Rich
r_towle
As I was writing this, it occured to me.
Pull the number 3 plug, take a clear picture of the plug.
Post it here.
We should be able to tell if you are running to lean.

That may be the easiest first step.

Rich
scrz914
Rich,
Are you saying that the 2.0 TB in combination with 1.7 heads could cause unadjustable mixture? Or would it be the 2.0 TB with an early ECU.
Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to get part numbers off all the FI components. This might give me a better idea of what's going on.
If this motor is a 1.7, I can't wait to drive a 2.0 (or 2056).
I'll check the plugs like you said.

Tony
Bleyseng
RichD is running a 1911 with 2.0L injection that I tuned the MPS on. It works just takes a little tuning.
orange914
check the numbers on:

1] mps
2] ecu
3] distrbutor

check the injector body color

check the exhaust to see if they curve upward at the point each side connets to the muffler

mike
914werke
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 11 2008, 09:11 PM) *

RichD is running a 1911 with 2.0L injection that I tuned the MPS on. It works just takes a little tuning.

My setup started as a 1.7 updated P/C's to 96mm units then applied 2.0 heads and a complete FI & induction off a 73 (or 74) 2.0 including HE's & exhaust.
Geoff tweased on the MPS & it runs STRONG!
driving.gif aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.