Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: what bike to look at?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crash914
Ok, going to look at bikes..

I am thinking about BMW and Triumph.

will commute about 35 miles each way, some freeway and / or through town.

What should I look for?

Last bike was a '72 380GT, two stroke triple...

so cruiser or sport....

??????
Ferg
I had a BMW F650GS and loved it!

Ferg beerchug.gif
Rand
QUOTE(crash914 @ Mar 10 2008, 02:11 PM) *

so cruiser or sport....?????

Wow. In my book that is a personal decision that nobody else can make for you. Once you figure THAT out, then deciding on a model is easier.

As for me, if I'm thinking "sport" as an option, I want no part of "cruiser" in my decision.

What is your riding style?

I mean, "two-stroke triple" and "commuting" don't exactly go hand in hand in my thinking. (Well, unless you ride like me!! lol)

wink.gif
ws91420
Find a bike that you are comfortable with. Personally I like a standard but they are hard to find nowadays. Older bikes may be hard to find parts for if you need them. Get one with enough power that you can accelerate away if needed.

Personal opinion if you haven't ridden for awhile the MSF courses are great.
JPB
Get this one bro, ya!! beer.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-BMW-F6...tem160216084734
crash914
I agree... commuting to college and work with the 2 stroke was fun. I rode that bike hard for 4 years.

then my wife to be dropped it. She wanted to ride it one day...????

handled like a slug. but was cheap to keep. I used to run from phoenix to Tucson at 100+ mph at night... My back says cruiser now....sad.gif..

of course I drive like a bat out of hell....lots of bikes when I lived in NH, not so many in MD.

I hope the good doctor will chime in.

root
I'm gonna commute on this one if I ever get it finished! biggrin.gif Click to view attachment
crash914
how are you going to drive the rear wheel? 2 chains?

I do have a spare engine....no I will use my 2.7 big 4......smile.gif
Rand
Nice Root!!! You must paint it satin black of course. wink.gif

While I like your styling better, this reminded me of another TIV bike I've seen:
RoadGlue
You could always buy my '04 Triumph 955i Daytona:
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207410

smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Doesn't Dr. Evil have a K75 for sale? I'd grab that in a minute if I
needed a bike .............

The Cap'n
root
QUOTE(crash914 @ Mar 10 2008, 02:59 PM) *

how are you going to drive the rear wheel? 2 chains?

I do have a spare engine....no I will use my 2.7 big 4......smile.gif

loooong chain and weldup the spidergears in the tranny!

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Nope, Brando bought my K75. If you want classy, I would go for a 74 or newer R75 to R90. I love my R90 and parts are not hard to come by. I also like my 96 K1100RS, but I need to put the handle bars up and back so it fits my physique more correctly (tall upper half). BMW K bikes are hardy and dependable as are the R bikes, but the K bikes are more modern. I have a front fairing set for an R bike if you are interested. It would turn any R bike into a great cruiser.
There is nothing wrong with Jap bikes, they are just so vanilla wink.gif I am also planning on getting a Moto guzzi in the future (some day). They make cruisers that look cool and last. I like shaft drive over chain, too. It is just my preference.
zx-niner
Having ridden a wide variety of bikes, I've found the sport-tourer to be the most all-around comfortable. Cruisers put far too much stress on my tailbone, the old standards left me wanting to lean forward into the wind, the new sport-tourers with or without clip-ons seem just right. The key is to get something you can move around on-- slide up a little, slide back a little, put your weight on one butt cheek or the other. Any bike that locks you into a single position will eventually become uncomfortable. Also make sure it has good mirrors since you will be commuting on it. You don't want to be turning your head too much or looking through the mirror under your armpit.

The Suzuki SV650 V-twin and Kawasaki Versys parallel twin get great press. I personally like my Kawasaki ZZR-600. It falls on the sportier side of the sport-tourer spectrum but is all-day comfortable and can be loaded with soft saddle bags and a tailbag for touring. And I have as much fun with it on the backroads as on my Ducati.

Plan on replacing the seat with a Corbin or equivalent regardless of what you buy.
Dr Evil
I have and like the corbin seats smile.gif

I dont know what your budget is, but the best long distance and most comfortable bike that I have ever ridden was the newer R1100RT. It is the one they use for the CHP and my friends owned a pair. Big seat, lots of storage, adjustable windshield, heated grips and great handlebar position.
effutuo101
BMW. Boxer or K series. Parts from 1945 ( and some prewar parts) onward are still avalable from the factory. So, you won't run into having to make your own gasket. I was at the BMW store doing a little research on a boxer that a buddy bought. The parts guy reached into the the gaskets parts bin and pulled out the factory gasket for a 1971 bike. Brand new.
Sparky
If I were to buy something new I'd think outside the box and get the new Can-Am Spyder. Made by SkiDoo and they go like stink!
crash914
Lots of good ideas...

I think heated hand grips, seat and for sure a saddle bag or box...

I do like the sport bmw's.. They look like fun.

guess its time for the butt test...
ConeDodger
You could buy the one in my signature so I can buy a new one. This one has 22K miles on it. Just like the CHP...
Marv's3.6six
Sounds to me the bike you are describing is the BMW R1200GS, fits the needs you describe. I just purchased (in January) an 06 BMW HP2, (hot rod version of the GS) what an incredible machine. Check out ADVrider.com
geniusanthony
Since you included "sport" in your original description I can only add that having a pure sport bike would be nearly unlivable. Add that to the fact that the poor thing would never stretch its legs out(the bike).
I bought a new Buell Firebolt 1000 in '03 and used it for everything from limited touring to commuting to canyon runs, loved it, smooth torquey motor etc..the same chassis holds several configs as well..only 250 mile range which seems short.

If I was to get another bike it would be another Buell from 03 on or an old Honda CB750 with clipons and single seat, cafe-ish. I guess that there is alot to say for having something a bit unique, minimal maintenance and relaxing. Still having the ability for a quick boogie, mountain pass, etc... is just a bonus.
PanelBilly
I have a BMW 1200LT and love it. It's kind of a GoldWing, kind of a sports bike. I can go fast and haul my work papers in the top trunk and two side hard bags.

Be sure to plan some of your budget for cloths. The right jacket, pants, boots and you'll need diferent ones for different seasons.

billy
geniusanthony
^^^^^^^^^

Great advice, Don't know how many times has good gear saved me from rash. Too many I'm sure.
Dr. Roger
I rode one of those 380's one day for a quick spin 'round the block back in '80.

Came back 2 hours later..... what a blast.

I'd find another Suzuki 380. 6 speed, oil injection, ram air cooling, modern digital gear display.... high tech. =)

IPB Image
crash914
Thats the bike....lots of fun times on that bike. cold days holding my hands on the engine to warm them up...I bet I put 30,000miles on that bike all over arizona...
JPB
QUOTE(root @ Mar 10 2008, 06:55 PM) *

I'm gonna commute on this one if I ever get it finished! biggrin.gif Click to view attachment

Cool scooter! beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.