Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder coating wheels - no PC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Just bought a new truck and I want to white the whole thing out, a la 1980's. I just ordered custom wheels - however for this particular vehicle the options are very limited. I found a style I liked ok, but they are only available in chrome. What will if take to powder coat them white? Is this safe? Is it really durable? We use mag-chloride on our roads here for snow/ice melt - it is brutal stuff. This is my daily driver and I want to be able to mainitain it, but not have to have the wheels re-done every year. Also, the center cap is plastic.

Thoughts?

Here is a pic of the wheel - thanks for any input!
Ferg
My guess is that you would not want to start with chrome... I would guess they would need to be blasted first ect.

I've done two sets of wheels powder, I have been told as long as it was baked in stages I would be OK.

I will ask my friend who is in the business and try and get some more detail.

Ferg

Also: are those wheels cast or forged?

That's gonna be one white truck w00t.gif
Ferg
Another thought, find out if the center cap to above wheel is actually metal? Many are plastic...

Ferg
Rand
If done properly, the powdercoat can absolutely be durable.
Scott S
Hi Ferg!
Thanks a million.
I just spoke to a company called applied plastics in Wheatridge. They will prep and coat all four for 200.00. Yes, the centercaps are plastic - he said this is very common now-a-days and they actually paint them to match the powder coat.

At 200 per wheel, I am pretty confident these are just another cast wheel. They are rated for the same loads as stock however.

I went with chrome because of wear - my last wheels on my old truck had 140k miles on them and still looked new. I figured if powder coating was not a good idea, then I would have the chrome to fall back on.

Yep - super white. I am putting in a billet grill with matching inserts for the other bumper openings. I am going to back paint it white, so the face is still aluminum, but the parts that are usually black (the sides of the individual slats) will be white.

I havent decided if I will do the wiper arms yet...... ha!
effutuo101
Scott going for the Bling factor.... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.