Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: I need a PPI in Allentown, PA for a VW bus
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
There is a a 74 VW westy for $600 in the nothern Burks County area near Allentown that I could use some help checking out.

http://allentown.craigslist.org/car/600100419.html

For the price I could afford it and could get Scotty B to fix the body work smile.gif

HELP!!!
plas76targa
Bump ..

"Spoke" is from up there. IM him or hopefully he'll see this.

any one from the Jersey side that's close to Allentown?
Spoke
Evil PM'ed me yesterday about this. Location is upper Bucks County so not sure how far away from me. It will be at least 20 miles. Find the address and let's go.
pavpav12
Where in Bucks County? I drive alot for work I could stop by.
Dr Evil
I also contacted Wilcheck as he lives closer than me, but probably not closer than Jerry. I emailed him to get an address, but I will try to call him later when I am done with running errands.

This place continues to rock smile.gif
Dr Evil
Here is the town it is located in. I havent had time to call him, so I will try to tomorrow. Too busy with surgery dry.gif

Kintnersville, pa near Allentown
wilchek
I can go Saturday. It is near the border of NJ about 1:15 for me.
KaptKaos
It's just south of Easton PA. Can't be more than 15-20 mins south of 78/22. Some really pretty country out there. Some great driving roads there.

I miss my old stompin grounds. sad.gif
type11969
Mike-

I could jet up 476 on Sat to check it out, never need much of an excuse to hit the roads I used to tour while going to Lehigh. Plus there is a great sandwich shop in Bethlehem that makes the ride worth it.

-Chris
VaccaRabite
I have some friends in Easton that I'd really like to visit. If I had the time, I'd hop over this weekend, if only as an excuse to say Hey to Kass and Bob.
Dr Evil
Spoke was going to see it today, until work got in the way wink.gif He will try again tomorrow. If no joy on Fri, then I am open to have anyone who wants to look on Sat. I can make it up on Sun, but would hate to waste my only free day to see a crappy teaser if I dont need to.

More to come! smile.gif
Spoke
I'll try again tomorrow. Wanted to go today to take the 914. Might rain tomorrow so I'll be stuck with the a6.

My buddy picked up tickets tonight to see Robin Trower at Penn's Peak Restaurant.

Later, Spoke.
cgnj
Hi,

Going to Lafayette Saturday morning to pick up the student. I drive right past Kintnersville on Easton Rd. If you need me to stop by, forward me the info. If there is a ppi guide on the web for these vehicles, could you point me to it?

Carlos
Dr Evil
Everything is dependent on if Spoke got to see it today. If not then I think that Chris (type11969) will be my best bet as he knows these busses. We shall see. I have to be back at the hospital at 6am tomorrow. dry.gif
Spoke
Did anyone stop by to look at it yet? If not, I'm heading that way now. Just spoke with the folks there and plan to be there within the hour.
Dr Evil
Nope, you will be the one, then. smile.gif
type11969
Just got back from checking it out, sorry guess we should have coordinated better. Pics to follow . . .
type11969
Details

Pass side wheels have sunk into mud, pulling it out will be a challenge. Dunno if any of the wheels are free to spin or locked. Tough to get underneath it because it had sunk down, plus I didn't feel like getting wet and muddy, so I don't have the best idea in the world about the undercarriage. Rockers on both sides are shot, pass side ft outrigger is shot, others probably as well. Lots of surface rust on the underside, some more advanced, but other than the areas that are really gone, it generally looks solid. The front beam has surface rust but the mounts (critical) look okay. Pass side dogleg is shot, drivers side looks okay. Rust under the windshield doesn't look too bad but who knows what is hiding underneath. Rear bumper mounts are rusted out as are areas in the rear quarters. Sliding door doesn't open (I didn't try particularily hard though), tracks are rusted for it but I don't know if they are too far gone. Belly pan is missing.

Engine spins, looks like a bad oil cooler leak was the cause of the smoking judging from the oil caked fan. It has a proggy on it. Pass side battery tray is rotted. I’d expect to be replacing all mechanical bits on the underside, sitting in that quasi swamp can’t be good. With the belly pan gone too all that stuff is exposed.

Wiring looks messy, mice are definitely inside (smells inside, not overwhelming but bad nonetheless). Looks like it was a weekender judging from the table. Sink/icebox cabinent is missing along with the jumpseat. Rear bed and cabinents are there, cushions, etc should obviously be replaced. Didn’t think to pull up the carpet to check the floors but judging from the underside pics I think it would just be surface rust. Drivers and passengers seats need to be redone. It has a sweet hitech stereo, you can’t get those just anywhere.

Pop top looks good, needs to be resealed. Didn’t open it since it was under a tree. Cushions look good, dunno about the canvas.

$600 bucks, not a steal by any means. Rust replacement parts are generally cheap for buses but it is going to be a lot of work to replace it all. Plus all the wiring, interior, and other mechanical bits that will need work. I’d see if you can get it for cheaper if you are interested after looking at the pics, for the amount of work it is going to be just to get it out it should be free.

I’m on the fence, its not terrible but it also won’t be cheap to get it going. Definitely like this one more than the last one.

Pics (80 total, didn’t filter any out so sorry if some suck. Still loading them up):

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/type11969/evilbus/

What do you think?
Dr Evil
Yeek, a bit shittier than I was lead to believe. This is why he told people to "come look at it" so they can make their own opinion. I am gonna be making a deal with Scotty B to have what ever I get fixed up...after this one we may no longer be friends wink.gif He is looking at one by him for $400 that is complete but considered rusty. I cant wait to hear about that one. He hasnt been able to verify the year of it yet. I think I will pass on the $600 one, even if it was free it is waaay too much work.

Ah well, thanks for all the effort. Beer is on me at Hershey!
Spoke
I got the same feeling about the car as Chris. Car was in a swamp like environment. Gentleman of the house mentioned that the vehicle hasn't been run in several years.

If you don't want the bus, there's also other vehicles available.
Spoke
I got the same feeling about the car as Chris. Car was in a swamp like environment. Gentleman of the house mentioned that the vehicle hasn't been run in several years.

Car is very rusty around the edges. Looks like bondo and 'glass used in the last spruce-up. front doors and engine and rear hatch hoods all open and close very nicely and securely.

If you don't want the bus, there's also other vehicles available.

Click to view attachment

The bus parking area wasn't the only swampy area. The driveway wasn't too much better.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
Oh yeah, this dude was hanging in the tree over the driveway. Looks like he's been there a long time.

type11969
Ha, missed the victim. Almost got stuck in the muck in my Miata, left some nice ruts in the "lawn".

My guess is that bus will return to nature before it is moved.

Good luck in your continued quest.

-Chris
Bleyseng
Boy that looks rusty but most of the parts are available to restore it. I have been repairing the little bit of rust on my Westy and its even more fun than a 914...I still have to fix under the front windshield which is like a 914's hell hole. every bus is rusted there under the rubber.
type11969
Best thing is that the replacement panels, etc are readily available and pretty cheap.

I have rust creeping out from under the windshield seal on my Westy too, doesn't look too bad but I hate to think what I will someday find.
Dr Evil
I figure it is worth it to wait until I have some more money and get one that is about $2500 instead. Scott sent me a link to the one he was looking at and it was actually $750 and looked shittier than the $600 one, IMHO.

On a better note, I managed to install my left cam, time it, install the rockers, tensioner, chain housing cover and buy and charge a new battery for Noel's bike today. I also managed to catch up on my reading smile.gif It was a good day that you all allowed me to have by saving me the precious 4hrs of driving to look at a bus I would have passed on thumb3d.gif
type11969
Probably a good plan if you want to have one on the road sooner, plus I'm sure Scott will be happier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.