Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fat Performance Type IV
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
An advertised Fat Performance 2.5L Type IV motor. Would it be any good? I have no idea myself. The name sounds vaguely familiar.
Joe Bob
Long time high performance shop in SO Cal....mostly Type Is and offroad. They used be pretty pricey back in the day. Then I started seeing what Jake was asking... biggrin.gif

I dunno if they have the same rep as before......
Gint
THis motor would probably be at least 5 years old (I'm guessin) and only has 3500 miles on it. I'll know more tomorrow when I see it in person and talk to the current owner.
toon1
A buddy of mine has a freind who just had a motor built by FAT. The performance specs. where good.

the price was higher than Jake for the same hp output.
sww914
They've built a gazillion Baja whatever winning motors, type 1, type 4, and Toyota. They've been building these engines for a long time and they know what they're doing. As far as I know, they were the first to build a 911 style fan shroud to fit a type 4, for instance. Their quality as been proven over many years.
Elliot Cannon
I bought an engine from them five years ago. 2.2 liter type IV. It produced 147 horsepower @ 5,500 RPM. I've put over 6000 miles on it since new and it runs strong. They have been building VW racing engines for a long time. They also build Toyota engines. They built the engines for Ivan "Iron-man" whatsisname of Baja fame. I had some valve lifter issues but solved that with ceramic lifters.
Cheers, Elliot
yarin
How much how much how much? Specs?

driving.gif
Jake Raby
As far as I know, they were the first to build a 911 style fan shroud to fit a type 4, for instance.

The first was the Willibald kit from Germany. It came out on the mid 1970s... :-)

FAT is a great competitor to have.. While we have totally opposite outlooks on engine design I feel they are the only other company that offers anything even close to what we have and that is a compliment.

They learned most of what they know from desert wins, thats an area where I don't do much at all and every call I hget for an offroad engine gets referred straight to them.
toon1
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 13 2008, 10:23 AM) *

As far as I know, they were the first to build a 911 style fan shroud to fit a type 4, for instance.

The first was the Willibald kit from Germany. It came out on the mid 1970s... :-)

FAT is a great competitor to have.. While we have totally opposite outlooks on engine design I feel they are the only other company that offers anything even close to what we have and that is a compliment.

They learned most of what they know from desert wins, thats an area where I don't do much at all and every call I hget for an offroad engine gets referred straight to them.

That's one hell of an endorsement!!
Twise
FAT performance - Good guys - Good motors...
ChrisFoley
An occasional customer of mine who races Vintage went through a lot of trouble with a 2liter race engine purchased from them. He eventually went -6 with the help of Aircooled Classics (I believe).
Gint
It was installed in this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...0200269671&

Very nice car. Not perfect, but really nice. The seller drove not I, but it pulled pretty well. I could find no rust at all. I was keeping quiet until I decided to purchase or not. AT this point it looks like... not. But that could still change.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Gint @ Mar 13 2008, 03:32 PM) *

Very nice car. Not perfect, but really nice. The seller drove not I, but it pulled pretty well. I could find no rust at all. I was keeping quiet until I decided to purchase or not. AT this point it looks like... not. But that could still change.

Why not? confused24.gif Looks beautiful. If it is really rust free and the paint is really that nice you would spend that much right there. Then if the engine is that nice .... sweeeeeeet driving.gif
carr914
I know that the 4cyl 914 that Brumos runs had a FAT in there. Bob Snodgrass would have it sent back to them after every 16 hours of run time.

T.C.
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 13 2008, 03:22 PM) *

Why not? confused24.gif Looks beautiful. If it is really rust free and the paint is really that nice you would spend that much right there. Then if the engine is that nice .... sweeeeeeet driving.gif

I saw that too. If I was looking for another 914, I'd seriously be considering that(assuming that the reserve isn't too much over-what?). But though $9K doesn't yet buy it, I think it's worth that and more.

Paul
Gint
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 13 2008, 05:34 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 13 2008, 03:22 PM) *

I saw that too. If I was looking for another 914, I'd seriously be considering that(assuming that the reserve isn't too much over-what?). But though $9K doesn't yet buy it, I think it's worth that and more.

Paul

It certainly is worth more than that. It's a very nice car. Not perfect, and certainly not a CW ride, but it is very nice. And while I didn't go poking surfaces with a screwdriver, the hell hole appears to be very solid (and actually Bahia Red) as are the jackposts and at the very least the entire longitudinals around the jack posts at least that I could see without pulling valances. And the rear trunk, and...

The paint is supposedly original. Most of it looks original, but some doesn't. What does look original has it's flaws, but it's in very good condition overall. I'd drive it as is rather than repaint. But that's just me. As I told the owner (nice guy BTW), everyone has different tastes, needs and opinions.

But I have two 914s already. Even still I was definitely considering it. I might still... here comes my wife... busted.gifdog.gif
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.