Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Koni Sport coilover kit with threaded perches
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Michael N
I am getting ready to install Koni sports with a Rebel Racing 2.25" ID spring coilover kit. I have Eibach 8" 200lbs springs to go with the set up. Using the search function I see that most coilover kits with the threaded perches are using 10" springs. Will the 8" springs I have still give me the same results by adjusting the collar?
John
As long as you can run the nuts up high enough on the threaded collars, they should work fine.

One thing that I do is tie the spring up to the upper spring "hat". This keeps the spring seated in the "hat" when the car is in the raised position so that when you set the car back down on the ground, you don't have to worry about it not being seated.

DanT
Michael,
those will work fine...just going to give you the opportunity to get the car low like my Puttputt. biggrin.gif
Michael N
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Mar 11 2008, 10:24 PM) *

Michael,
those will work fine...just going to give you the opportunity to get the car low like my Puttputt. biggrin.gif

I already lowered the front of the car of the car but may have gone too far. By lowering the car seemed to respond much faster but it scraped twice on my test run on Hicks Rd at Camden to New Alamaden last Sunday. Currently the front measures 22.5" ground to bottom of the fender lip. I will raise it slightly to avoid the scraping. The back of the car is going to be lowered to match the front and make the car level.
db9146
I have not installed the coil-over front suspension on mine yet but I believe from the research I've done that most of the time, 8" springs are also run with helper springs - most times with a rate less than the main (8") spring.
DanT
Michael,
the Puttputt sits at 22 and 3/8s front and exactly 21 rear.
this is with the 195x60 street tires.

It sits a bit lower with the 205x50s on.
Borderline
Hey Mike, good to see you're workin on the car! I just had to go down and measure my car and see how it stacks up. Front-21.25, rear-20.62 on 205-50's.

I don't know, but I may have gotton carried away with the fronts biggrin.gif I may have to jack it up some, but my short shocks may not have enough travel. I've been trying to go for a test run, but my rev-limiter is working way too good----max rpm=0. Had to tow the thing back up the driveway twice yesterday. Looks like no AX for me this weekend. sad.gif
Michael N
Thanks Dan and Bill for the height measurements. It'll give me a ball park on where I need to be although I will raise my front slightly due to the odd sway bar set up my car currently has.

I went to install these with the help of my almost 3 year old son, Nolan, today. He said it right by saying bummer when I went to install the new shocks and realized that the top trumpet looking nut on the top of the shock is not interchangeable between the old Koni reds and the newer Koni sports. I took the old assembly off the car and then removed the top trumpet nut to transfer it over to the yellows. It has different threads. Bummer...back on the old assembly goes on the car until I can track down the nuts with the correct threads. I bought the Yellow Koni's from a guy on a Mazda RX 7 forum. Apparently the Mazda guys use the 914 shocks as well but somehow do not need the trumpet nut. So I called Koni to buy the nuts to install these on my car and the are going to send them to me at no charge. I was blown away by the service level from their warranty department. Hopefully this Sunday I can attempt the install again. I did get to drill the new caps so I could run zip ties in keep the caps and the springs from separating.
Joe Ricard
I run 8" long 200's and or 8" 300's just fine.

I never measure from the fender edge as my flares are probably not even. I always measure under the car 4 3/4" seems to work for me.
Michael N
Received the 2" trumpet nuts from Koni this week and finished the install today. I had to re-adjust the front and back multiple times to get the car to sit just right. I would jack the car up adjust, down on the ground quick drive around the block to let everything settle then re-adjust again. My neighbors must think I am absolutely nuts. The car now has Koni sports front and back. It is unbelievable that a half of a turn (180 degrees) can make a difference on the handling of the car. The car was running too light in the front I stopped and tightened the fronts by half a turn and it changed the entire feel of the car. I will have fun with these shocks. I should have done this long ago but I am a CSOB.

The 8" long springs are just fine. I thought I would have to run the spring perch up too high but it sits at about the middle of the threaded collars.

Final height ended up at 22.625 in the front and 21.25 in the rear running on 205/60/14.

The alignment is slightly off and I need to get that fixed. I have heard that there is a great alignment only shop in Mt. View. Anybody have any idea what the name of the shop is or know what I am talking about?
elmonte
http://www.customalignment.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.