Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where to buy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RJMII
That covers it. I am contemplating roller lifters. Only, I haven't been able to find any. Anyone know where they are available? (I saw a set for sale somewhere, and they got SOLD already) grrr.
Dave_Darling
I'm surprised you found any for sale at all! As far as I know, those are still quite experimental. Expect to pay big bucks for them when they're ready for prime time, as it sounds like a whole lot of work has gone into making them. (And work == money...)

You may be able to adapt roller lifters from some other sort of engine. (Dunno if anyone makes them for Type Is?) If you do, it'll be a fun engineering project, but you have to be able to face the possibility that you'll blow the motor at least once or twice getting everything to work the way you want it to...

--DD
McMark
I'm assuming 4 cyl, in which case, there are not roller lifters and never have been. If you saw some for sale, it was probably a one-off, custom project of someone's.
charliew
For the type 4 I would think if anybody attempted this it would be Jake Raby. Keeping the lifter straight with guides is really tough in that congiguration.If you mean only roller rockers that is quite easier. There must be a rocker already made that is a close enough ratio to work. Don't know about cover clearance though. Why not just double the number of valves and add a radiator?
Charliew
sww914
Jake said he was working on roller lifters about a year ago.
Jake Raby
Our development with them is still ongoing.

To date the testing has not been satisfactory to release any engines or components for use by the general public. At minimum we have another full year of alterations and development to the program before we;'ll be ready to release the first roller street engine. From that point the actual parts are at least 2-3 years away from going to market.

Making the TIV accept this development without compromise has proven to be the single largest development I have ever attempted.

Here is our arrangement:
IPB Image

IPB Image

I have an experimental Land Speed race engine that will be using the RAT roller technology for the first time in competition coming up in April.
RJMII
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 12 2008, 09:07 AM) *

Our development with them is still ongoing.

To date the testing has not been satisfactory to release any engines or components for use by the general public. At minimum we have another full year of alterations and development to the program before we;'ll be ready to release the first roller street engine. From that point the actual parts are at least 2-3 years away from going to market.

I have an experimental Land Speed race engine that will be using the RAT roller technology for the first time in competition coming up in April.

If you want to run one in an experimental street car to see if they are idiot proof, I'll volunteer to be the first idiot. driving.gif

The pics look good.

Which Land Speed race?
Jake Raby
We campaign this car in the ECTA speed trials at Maxton NC. It currently has a 1500cc, 180HP Type 1 N/A engine installed and holds the current H/GALT record at 132 MPH and change.
IPB Image

here is a video of the most recent test session for the baby Type 1 engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irnnTvn_iW0

We are swapping classes to the 2.0 class for more competition and will be running a 69X96mm TIV N/A engine in the G class this season. The 1996cc engine will run the roller lifter arrangement coupled to LE 200 "Tight wedge" heads at 14:1 CR.

Thanks for the offer of an experimental guinea pig... I never use customers as our experimantal researchers... I have an entire fleet of my own MassIVe equipped vehicles that get the technology first :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.