Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wire Gauge Sizes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stephenaki
OK, I found the info on converting the metric wires to AWG. Got that. My Haynes has some information in the current flow diagrams for 73 and older on actual sizes of wires but nothing for 1972.

Is there any reference or does anyone have the actual sizes of the wires in the diagrams or is it safe to say that the sizes in the 73 current flow diagrams are also applicable to the 72 harness?

After initially tackling the car's electrical system last night, I hate doing wiring work, it was immediately apparent that I need to pull the dash to better access the wires and start building a sub-harness but, I need to know what sizes to order. Some help would be appreciated.
JeffBowlsby
Steve...stand away from the car...thats a 10 lb. solution to a 1 oz. problem.

No need to pull the dash just for a few wires. You can disconnect the dash branch of the harness for access if necessary (probably not) and its a whole lot easier than pulling the dash. Just disconnect the wires you need access to and no more.

The 72 wire sizes should be similar if not identical to the 73, but verify it with inspection. I have noted wire size changes for a couple circuits between the years, so they may not be identical.
stephenaki
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 12 2008, 06:24 AM) *

Steve...stand away from the car...thats a 10 lb. solution to a 1 oz. problem.

No need to pull the dash just for a few wires. You can disconnect the dash branch of the harness for access if necessary (probably not) and its a whole lot easier than pulling the dash. Just disconnect the wires you need access to and no more.

The 72 wire sizes should be similar if not identical to the 73, but verify it with inspection. I have noted wire size changes for a couple circuits between the years, so they may not be identical.

OK, when you say "inspection" what are you using to determine what gauge it is? I did some research on the issue and all I could come up with was that I had to count the strands then measure them with a micrometer. headbang.gif

An easier methodology would be appreciated if there is one. PUlling the dash is a project in of itself and partially related to the wiring problems. I do think I found why the horn doesn't work, could be the wire that goes to the switch is hanging down below the dash not connected to anything. slap.gif
Cap'n Krusty
The sizes are printed on the wiring diagram. The Cap'n
stephenaki
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Mar 12 2008, 09:58 AM) *

The sizes are printed on the wiring diagram. The Cap'n

OK, I know i'm not near as young as I used to be and some of the tiny print in the Haynes manual is hard to read but the only place I can find sizes are in the current flow diagrams. This being said, there is no current flow diagram for the 1972 wiring diagram. I was also mistaken earlier, the current flow diagrams start with 1974 models not 73 as I previously thought.

Unless I am totally oblivious you're going to have to help me out with where the sizes are located on the wiring diagram.
JeffBowlsby
Yep the wire gauges in metric are only on the 74 and later diagrams. They should be close if not identical to the 72 wire gages. the true test with what you will need is to ID which specific circuits need repair and just match a new wire to that gage. Visual inspection. You can mic it too, but its not too hard to see the size.
stephenaki
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Mar 12 2008, 06:55 PM) *

Yep the wire gauges in metric are only on the 74 and later diagrams. They should be close if not identical to the 72 wire gages. the true test with what you will need is to ID which specific circuits need repair and just match a new wire to that gage. Visual inspection. You can mic it too, but its not too hard to see the size.

I was afraid you were going to say that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.