Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Harness Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KevinP
The search didn't come up with anything so I'll try you guys! I'm finishing up on my complete repaint and it will soon be time to put the harness back in. I am thinking about eliminating the old harness and going to a kit set up that may of the hotrodders have been using. I've got a friend thats a Electrial /Engineer whos done a few on street rods so, I had him look at my car and see if it would work.

He told me after looking at the wiring diagram that it "shouldn't be a problem". I trust the guy and I have seen his work- he's one of those guys thats really sharp and knows his stuff.

I have had an onboard fire from a 914 harness while I was driving before and I truly don't have much confidence in them----get the picture!

The Question, do we have any of you members that have done a complete rewire using a kit setup. This would use a different alt. and pretty much based on a GM wiring setup. I would have tied up in this my labor time and about $150 in the kit, not to mention the new alt.

Tell me what you guys think?

KP

SLKWrx
I like where you're going with this. I'm also almost done with a complete repaint and I've been toying around with the idea of doing it. I've never really given too much mind to it, but are all the harness plugs readily available?
KevinP
QUOTE(SLKWrx @ Mar 12 2008, 11:44 AM) *

I like where you're going with this. I'm also almost done with a complete repaint and I've been toying around with the idea of doing it. I've never really given too much mind to it, but are all the harness plugs readily available?

Steve,

I'm not sure, but I know that some of the items are-such as FI connectors for the injection sustem thru Wurth and the large(electrial) plugs from VW. I'm sure I will need to reuse items such a the headlight relay sockets.

I'll keep you up to date as I will need to make a decision soon.

KP
Joe Owensby
I started to use a new wiring harness when I redid my car. I even bought a complete harness for about $125 or so. It had a neat 21 fuse block, blinkers, and connections for a chevy hook up. This would have basically replaced all the main wires for everything except the FI. After looking at my wires, I decided they really didn't look too bad, so I ended up giving the new harness to a friend to use on a Chevy Nomad he was rebuilding. The biggest thing is that the lights are configured differently than on the Porsche, so you have to do some "marrying " of the two systems. I had it all figured out, and decided that it wasn't that bad to do, but since my wires themselves looked prettty good I decided to leave them in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.