Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I clean rear lenses?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
Read somewhere toothpaste is best but thought I would ask. They have a little overspray and that general dull look.

Suggestions?
736conver
Tooth paste is what I use when I did mine. There might be something better but the tooth paste work pretty good. Not sure if the overspray will come off though.
StratPlayer
Try Novus products, scratch remover and plastic clean and shine.

http://www.novuspolish.com/
PeeGreen 914
agree.gif Good stuff.
Twise
Lightly hit the ovesprayed area with a rag and some thinner, it will dull the area, but the polish will bring it back. Any auto parts store should have a plastic polish in their detail section. Even if its the stuff for convertible top rear windows, that will be fine. It would be best to machine polish it in with a buffer, but you can do it by hand. These products are rubbing compounds with abrasives more suited to plastic. Apply it like wax, work it in, and then remove the haze. I like to apply a wax or glaze afterwards for extra protection. Once you do this you will have to do it like two or three times a year, depending on your climate. It will look great.
7TPorsh
Didn't think of the plastic window polish; may try that with the buffer.
burton73
Never use acetone! Paint thinner must be tested to make sure it will not melt the plastic. Most household paint thinners are fine but do not cut much. Novus polish is great stuff. #1 is very fine with almost no cut, #2 has a little. You can go through the grits with wet paper in ultra fine up to the very finest number they have and then polish out the vine scratches. A power wheel needs the right compound so it will not burn the Styrene plastic. It takes a feel and experience on the buffer.

Bob Burton / Burton Plastics buffing plastic since 1974
7TPorsh
Is Novus available locally, never see in FLAPS?

TravisNeff
an overspray clay bar may do the trick for removing the overspray.
dw914er
toothpaste???

i think i will try that this weekend

( i used a plastic cleaner (it think its called plastix, for lenses) and it worked a bit, but took many applications (nothing like trying to match an original usa rear light to a 10 year old usa rear light)
EyeTrip
I second the clay bar. It worked for me on lenses.
StratPlayer
Try this number 1(800) 548-6872 to find a local distributor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.