Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slight Head pop 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EyeTrip
My 1.7 had a slight head pop in the morning for a few seconds then it ran just fine for months untill..... I was A little hard on it going up hill and it started to sound like the rockers starved from oil (My first thought). Well after it cooled I started it again and it's sounding like I blew a head gasket. This thing is the original engine that was resealed @130k miles and then 40idf carbs now has 140k. I have a 1.7 low miles original 411 that I pulled out of my 65 notchback that I had installed in the early 80's. I want to build the best motor after the notchback build is done but right now I need to get the 914 running. One car garage and the vw is in it.

Enough history,

What cam should I use for milage in a 1.7? (carbed)
And What mods do I need for a 411 long block to put into a 914 (besides tin and dipstick)
Jake Raby
Sounds like the head was a tad loose and finally blew the head gasket- thats why these should always be removed at any rebuild.

carbed small emgines love my 9530 or 9590 cams, either might be a great way to go.
EyeTrip
Thanks for the reply I'll be contacting you - I'm not new to aircooled but it's been only T1/T3 setups. I had my own shop in the 80's (that should date me) Dragged race for 9 years, but the T4 is not all familiar to me. I know what they are just not in detail.

Again enough of the history.

I replaced the head gaskets after lapping them 10k ago with loctite on the nuts and studs (not a something I have loctite in the past) I am still puzzed with the failure. It's only a 1.7 daily driver (trying to be) After being parked for 20+ years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.