Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's the difference between...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BMXerror
Well, you read the title. I noticed that the gaskets are different for the two, but I thought they were interchangeable. What am I missing? Thanks.... Oh, yes... I had another similar question. Is the case bore for the cylinders bigger on the 2.0 than the 1.7? I know the heads are different, but I'm not sure about the case. Thanks again.
Mark D.
SLITS
Yes No, the case does not have to be bored for 2.0 cylinders

Difference ....night and day ... 2.0 larger diameter pipe, no up sweep at the muffler end, different support on the tranny, different muffler.
BMXerror
Okay, so why do sellers of aftermarket headers never specify 1.7 or 2.0? If the gaskets are different I would think the headers would need to be different.
Mark D.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 12 2008, 05:33 PM) *

Yes, the case has to be bored for 2.0 cylinders

Difference ....night and day ... 2.0 larger diameter pipe, no up sweep at the muffler end, different support on the tranny, different muffler.

What? confused24.gif the case bore is the same for a 1.7 or a 2.0L its the head register that needs to be enlarged to fit the 94mm cylinders. chair.gif
BMXerror
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 12 2008, 06:13 PM) *

What? confused24.gif the case bore is the same for a 1.7 or a 2.0L its the head register that needs to be enlarged to fit the 94mm cylinders. chair.gif

Both the case and heads are different bore, I guess.
Mark D.
Dave_Darling
All stock Type IV cases have the same spigots for the cylinders. The registers in the heads are smaller on the 1.7s, but that's it.

The 1.7 exhaust (also the 1974-only 1.8) is smaller diameter than the 73-74 2.0 exhaust. The muffler ends of the pipes are also a different distance apart.

That said, any of the 914-4 exhausts will fit any of the 914-4 motors.

--DD
jimkelly
2.0 and 1.7/1.8 style heat exchangers will fit on any engine but you will need a 2.0 muffler and 2.0 muffler hanger to use 2.0 he's - and a 1.7/1.8 muffler and a 1.7/1.8 muffler hanger to use 1.7/1.8 he's.

there are several dimensions of difference between the two styles at the muffler end - at the heads end they are the same.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...blogid=312&

as for headers - because they don't use a 2.0 or 1.7/1.8 muffler or associated muffler hanger - headers can be used on all engines.

as for cylinder head exhaust gaskets - pelican does sell two styles - the difference must be extremely minimal ??
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca...p_pg1.htm#item3

rhodyguy
the flange bolt pattern is slightly dif on the 1.7/1.8 vs the 2.0. that's why the gaskets won't interchange.
race914
Here's a great diagram. Not mine but someone posted it here previously. If my memory worked... I'd remember who!

Click to view attachment
Cap'n Krusty

Uhhhhhhh, Slits? NO, THE CASE DOESN'T HAVE TO BE BORED FOR 2.) CYLINDERS.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming. Can't we put answers to questions like these in some sort of FAQs? The Cap'n
SLITS
So I fuched up ... you obviously mistook this face for someone who gives a shit.

I do have an eraser on my pencil.

Next!
BMXerror
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 13 2008, 05:54 PM) *

So I fuched up ... you obviously mistook this face for someone who gives a shit.

Next!

av-943.gif Thanks guys! Yes, Cap'n. An FAQ section would be great.
Mark D.
orange914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 13 2008, 05:54 PM) *

Next!

thats not an eraser in gumbys mouth smoke.gif happy11.gif

ALSO the stainless steel 1.7/1.8 and the 2.0 I.D. is the same, never confirmed that though

mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.