Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O.T. overheating an aircooled engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearhead1432
With out going into detail, because I don't have too many, a freind of mine ran a VW beetle with out a generator belt for a rather extended period of time, say 4 miles or so.

I looked at the engine tonight and first off the plug wire boots that seal against the cylinderhead tin are melted! I pulled the valve covers off and the rockers are dry with all valve lash being over tight. I couldn't fit any feeler gauge. So I replace the belt, plugwires, and set the valve lash at .006". The engine still feels like it has very low compression. I can not get it to fire at all. The only other thing I can think of would be changing the sparkplugs. Could the heat have killed the plugs too?

How bad could the damage be? Warped heads, burned valves.... rings.. ect? Can I get this engine running again?

I've never overheated one of my aircooled cars ( one 914 and three Beetles) so I don't know what to expect.
Brando
Do a leak down test. That will answer some of your questions.

Some you won't know unless you tear it down for an overhaul.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.