Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have not had a problem in a while but...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
por73914
74 914/4 2.0 Original FI. Here's the deal. When I get in the car and the engine cold ( outside temp makes no difference) if I do not hold the pedal to the floor before I try and start the car it will flood the engine with gas-alot of gas, to the point that it drips from the exhaust. Also if I drive the car and let the engine warm up and then let it sit for 30 minutes- it does not matter if I hold the pedal down or not. It will not start for a couple of hour because it will flood so badly. The cold start valve has the power unpluged from it. Any ideas?

Thanks
Paul driving.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(por73914 @ Mar 13 2008, 07:15 AM) *

74 914/4 2.0 Original FI. Here's the deal. When I get in the car and the engine cold ( outside temp makes no difference) if I do not hold the pedal to the floor before I try and start the car it will flood the engine with gas-alot of gas, to the point that it drips from the exhaust. Also if I drive the car and let the engine warm up and then let it sit for 30 minutes- it does not matter if I hold the pedal down or not. It will not start for a couple of hour because it will flood so badly. The cold start valve has the power unpluged from it. Any ideas?

Thanks
Paul driving.gif

head temp sensor
por73914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 13 2008, 09:21 AM) *

Thanks
Paul driving.gif

head temp sensor

That was fast-what does the sensor do? Is it hard to find and replace?

Thanks Paul
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(por73914 @ Mar 13 2008, 07:27 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Mar 13 2008, 09:21 AM) *

Thanks
Paul driving.gif

head temp sensor

That was fast-what does the sensor do? Is it hard to find and replace?

Thanks Paul

Needed for cold running enrichment. It senses the temp of the engine and increases or decreases resistance to the control unit causing it to increase or decrease the duration of injection. When it miserably fails the duration is increased dramatically causing flood out

por73914
Thanks George!
beerchug.gif
73Phoenix20
The CHTS is located on the Passenger side of the engine. You should see a wire coming out of a 1/2 inch hole in the sheetmetal, between sparkplug holes...

You will need to make a tool to remove the CHTS...

I bought a 13mm deepwell socket, and cut a slit into the side of the top of the socket, to allow the wire to go to the side, when the socket extension is inserted into the top of the socket.

Slide the socket down over the wire, thru the slit, and insert the extension, and then carefully work the socket down over the top of the CHTS. You have to do this by feel, while standing on your head (practically). Break it loose and it will take about four turns to completey release from the cylinder head. Not a lot of threads on it.

Reverse the process to install... I assume AA or someone has the replacements in stock for your '74 2.0???
por73914
QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Mar 14 2008, 08:58 AM) *

The CHTS is located on the Passenger side of the engine. You should see a wire coming out of a 1/2 inch hole in the sheetmetal, between sparkplug holes...

I bought a 13mm deepwell socket, and cut a slit into the side of the top of the socket, to allow the wire to go to the side, when the socket extension is inserted into the top of the socket.

Slide the socket down over the wire, thru the slit, and insert the extension, and then carefully work the socket down over the top of the CHTS. You have to do this by feel, while standing on your head (practically). Break it loose and it will take about four turns to completey release from the cylinder head. Not a lot of threads on it.

Reverse the process to install... I assume AA or someone has the replacements in stock for your '74 2.0???

Great info thanks! I have one on my parts motor that I am going to try first. It was 75 here yesterday and it will not start at all! chair.gif
type47
QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Mar 14 2008, 05:58 AM) *

is it possible to "stuff" the wire of the CHT into the cavity of the deep well socket?
tango-52
...I really should read the other replies more carefully before I post. pray.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(type47 @ Mar 14 2008, 06:25 AM) *
is it possible to "stuff" the wire of the CHT into the cavity of the deep well socket?

Yes. That works quite well for removal, less well for installation. The sensor will tend to slide up into the socket. If you can get it started, then use the deep well socket, and then fish the wire out, everything is fine.

I prefer to knock one square corner off of an extension to leave room for the wire to come out. That lets me grab the wire to make sure the sender doesn't slide up into the socket...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.