Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Race Rubber softener ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
SirAndy
Race Rubber softener, is there such a thing and if yes, where to buy it?

i've got a set of 9" slicks that still have plenty of rubber left on them but have been sitting in my closet (dark & dry) for over a year.
they seem to have hardened quite a bit ...

idea.gif Andy

drew365
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 13 2008, 05:14 PM) *

Race Rubber softener, is there such a thing and if yes, where to buy it?

i've got a set of 9" slicks that still have plenty of rubber left on them but have been sitting in my closet (dark & dry) for over a year.
they seem to have hardened quite a bit ...

idea.gif Andy

Formula V Traction Treatment. Yes it works. I usually treat my tires 3 times the week before an event with a day between treatments. Roll it on with a small roller. It definately adds grip. No, it doesn't bring the tires back to like new and I'm not sure it would work on old tires that are really dried out, but I figure I'm getting 25% longer life out of my tires which equates to about $220 a set of Hoosiers. I don't remember which online race shop I get it from right now, I'll try to figure it out, maybe Racers Wholesale Warehouse?
J P Stein
Yes, Racers Warehouse.
I find the stuff to bring tires back to about 95% on the first treatment (as Drew described). Further treatments (2 maybe 3) are progressively less effective till the point is reached where they aren't worth messing with. There is still maybe half the rubber left (per the dots) at this point.....this maybe the case with only the tire maker & compound that I use.
stownsen914
+1 on the Formula V tire treatment. I have used it for years. Grassroots Racing magazine actually did a before & after test a number of years ago with none other than a 914 track car using Goodyear slicks, and it did drop lap times measurably. You can get the stuff at www.racerpartswholesale.com.

Scott
SirAndy
thanks guys!

smilie_pokal.gif Andy
bjinright
I've also heard of skimming a little off has worked for some. Not a shave mind you just a little skim. Has anybody ever tried this. I've seen it once or twice on some 6 month old hoosiers but my friends are crazy so I'd like to know more about it.
914forme
Yep Formula V, good stuff, BTW, you can also wrap your tires in packing wrap. I run FV on them roll them up for storage and stack them in a cool dark place. I have hardboard spacers I place under and over each tire as I stack up. Pulled them out for the first race this year and they where still super sticky. Unwrapped, and went racing.

I have started wrapping now between events.

BTW, you will want gloves that stuff will make a mess of your hands.
Crazyhippy
used to put a bit inside the tires for drag racing. Used some stuff called trac-bite. smells like applejuice when you use it to do burnouts too...

BJH
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.