Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Concours prep revisited
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
It was suggested that we may want to revisit this topic.

The poll will dictate.
Pat
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 14 2008, 05:40 PM) *

It was suggested that we may want to revisit this topic.

The poll will dictate.
Pat

OK.......?

Apparently this idea was ill founded. I'll give it 24 more hours (9:25pm EST now) & then we'll just forget the question was raised.

Not my idea originally, but I thought it might me nice to hear about new products that folks are using.

That's OK, my feelings will heal. No problem, keep your little secrets to yourself!
Pat

the clock is ticking!
auerbach
Evenyone is watching Sebring -- a 914 just won -- at least it looked like one!
Pat Garvey
OK, response a little lean, but we'll do what we can.

Ask questions, provide tips - do's & don'ts. We have a sh_tload of experts here.

But.....since this poll will go away soon, post your responses to the new thread - "Detailing - Do's & Don'ts"

Pat
orthobiz
I think a new thread is a great idea.

Meanwhile, here's my little vignette:

I polished my car with a Porter Cable orbital buffer last summer. Taped the car off and everything. Left the door handles on but I removed the lights, trunk lock, fender/cowl strips, washer nozzles, wipers, "everything." This job wasn't especially hard and guys on this site encouraged me enough to try.

Watched a video about using Meguiar's products. Bought all the pads, etc. Even got my 14 year old daughter to help me.

While the car looks WAY better, it still has some spider-web markings in the paint. So, here's what I learned:

1. (It was on the video but I didn't listen!) Do a small area from start to FINISH and make sure the FINAL result is EXACTLY what you want. That means clay prep to buffing compound to polish/wax. Just like the video...

I buffed out the rear trunk, it looked good, so I did the whole car. But when I finally finished the job with wax, it still had lots of spiders. I would have been a bit more aggressive with the polishing compound if I knew that's how it would turn out. And I wasn't about to do the whole thing over...

2. Put paper over EVERYTHING that isn't a painted surface about to be buffed. I was smart enough to put newspaper over the tires and cover the bumpers, but I didn't put anything on the roof and upper windows. So the first time the buffer came off the paint, I spattered orange and it was annoying to clean it up.

This year I may have our local classic car paint guru do the job for me. I am happy that I didn't burn through the paint anywhere.

Paul

1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Mar 24 2008, 06:55 PM) *

I think a new thread is a great idea.

Meanwhile, here's my little vignette:

2. Put paper over EVERYTHING that isn't a painted surface about to be buffed. I was smart enough to put newspaper over the tires and cover the bumpers, but I didn't put anything on the roof and upper windows. So the first time the buffer came off the paint, I spattered orange and it was annoying to clean it up.

Paul

And I thought these guys were getting a little carried away with the tape and paper. This sort of thing makes my own manual efforts look pretty lame" huh.gif

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.