Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.7 engine charging question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fuch toy
The relay board regulator is a Bosch.....the volt meter and a multi meter show 16 volts at 3500 rpms. I replaced the regulator with a new like superceeded Bosch unit. Still getting 16 volts.....

Would a French alternator....dunno what's in there.....cause 16 volts if a Bosch regulator is used?
si2t3m
Hi Mike,

This is of no help but I do know that some Paris-Phone units were internally regulated. Seems like the voltage regulator isn't... well regulating...

You know that something is wrong and you should'nt be seeing 16v @ 3500rpm.

I'd start diging into the electical wires and recheck the connections.

Might be good to keep the link to KRK's thread about getting to the ALT without taking the engine out??? It's a PITA. Well, not that bad after all. Just unbolt the manifolds and take the carbs/manifolds out as one unit. Just in case smash.gif

Marc-André
Ferg
I'm getting close to the same reading on my 2.7 as well. I pulled my regulator off the board with no change... This will be one of my winter projects. And put in the correct battery, I have a yellow top deep cycle by mistake, but was told it would do no harm.
Now for the dumb queston:
Is there a known way to tell if you have a internal regulator? I know I have a 11 blade fan. I can count rolleyes.gif

Ferg.
Joe Bob
Joe from Novato posted....

You can adjust the regulator for the right voltage by removing the cover and bending the tab to reduce spring tension to lower the voltage and increasing tension to increase voltage.

Cheers,

Joe

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Anyone done that?
mightyohm
Does this mean off the shelf regulators are putting out the wrong voltage? That would be a big deal.
si2t3m
Just to mention it,

when i installed my 2.2 I kept the /4 voltage regulator. Alternator on the 2.2 Was a Marshal or Motorolla (don't remember). Btw on my /4 i had installed a solid state regulator (wells Vr650 or Vr850 don't remember) on the relay board instead of the Bosch unit.

But now with the 3.0L and the alt with internal regulator, I said bye bye to the relayboard.

Ferg, best bet would be to look behind the alternator.

Marc-André
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.