Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GEX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EyeTrip
Anyone deal with these guys?

http://www.gex.com/content/productSearch/onlcat.htm

My spare 1.7 engine pull down went better than expected, all I need is a cheap cam and lifters to get me by for about a year. Then I will be able to do the monster motor. driving.gif

It's a bitch having a 914 and a one car garage with a project in the hole 60% completed.
Bleyseng
cheap? just have your old stock one reground along with the lifters...never buy from GEX.
Pat Garvey
popcorn[1].gif

I'm intrigued!
EyeTrip
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 15 2008, 06:12 PM) *

cheap? just have your old stock one reground along with the lifters...never buy from GEX.

Ok, My spidy sences are telling me you have a story about them. Is it service or product that you find not good? If you don't mind me asking.
sww914
If a GEX part is free it will still cost you more when it fails. Does anyone have a GEX success story? I haven't heard one.
davep
QUOTE(sww914 @ Mar 15 2008, 05:42 PM) *

If a GEX part is free it will still cost you more when it fails. Does anyone have a GEX success story? I haven't heard one.

I hear they make good anchors..., but not for use in bodies of water where leaks are a source of pollution.
EyeTrip
HAHA, thanks for the inputs. Point taken.
brer
I had a GEX motor in my 67' Westy and it ran beautifully, I put 25K on it before I sold it. Best, and strongest running VW Bus I ever had. That was in 1989 though.

When they were out here in the West.. I would stop by to see how they work.. Saw some workers using an impact to secure the rod bolts.... some times you get what you pay. They have move ..so I don't have any recent knowledge,may be they have changed smile.gif
Mark Henry
Pure junk hackers, better stuff comes out of my dogs butt.
Joe Bob
They would have to IMPROVE to just suck.....
JPB
Shop around and find another engine. There are still some available out there that will bolt right in and do the job for as long as you want for much less and keep the other for a rebuild with good parts. beer.gif
Midtowner
GEX had a bad reputation when I was selling reman engines and transmissions in the 1980's. I've heard bad stories since then too. wacko.gif
sean_v8_914
GEX is fine. just rev it harder to beat teh valve seats back into the head
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.