Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche Wins Sebring!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Todd Enlund
Penske won the 12 hours of Sebring... first time in 20 years for a Porsche.

They took the overall win in a P2 car...
blitZ
Sweet win, fantastic job. cheer.gif
Mugs914
Top three were all P2 cars - Penske Porsche 1st, Acura P2 2nd, Dyson Porsche 3rd. Awesome...

First P1 car was the Audi in fourth!

Get ready for some rule changes.... biggrin.gif
smg914
Unbelievable. We were talking in the Porsche Corral just before the start of the race how Porsche didn't have a chance against the Audi's. 12 Hours later.... driving.gif VICTORY smilie_pokal.gif

Here is a picture I took today of the winning car coming out of turn 10.
Gint
I had most of it going in the background today. We might go the the race in Utah in May. I could even drive the 914. idea.gif

Gotta go... F1 coming up.
Elliot Cannon
The Audis don't make enough noise to go really fast!

Cheers, Elliot
Rleog
The Peugeot whooshed by likely a bit more quietly than the Audi's. Late in the race it hunted down and passed one of the Audi's as Porsche was counting down their laps to victory. Ironic site: P1's relegated to also rans, grasping for a bit of glory by one-upping each other.

Rule changes? Pissing and moaning from P1 until they get their way, I'm sure.

I'll post some pics when I get back home.
rfuerst911sc
I was there with my son we had pit seats right above the Penske pit box. They are a very well run team and strategy is Rogers forte. All the P1 and P2 cars were quick but Sebring is one tough track. Next race is St. Pete I think and a street course is another venue where Porsche and other P2 teams will give P1 cars fits. In GT2 class Flying Lizard Porsches took 1st and 2nd. It was a great weekend beerchug.gif
Pat Garvey
Thanks for the update! I can't believe I watched 10 1/2 hours of the race, to be pulled away in the last hour for something inconsequential - dinner reservations!

It's rare that I have that much time to devote to a good race. Had my mini TV on the roof of the 914 while I was working on it. Then the call came to clean up!

Argggh! Mised the end!

Oh yeah, there will be some pissing & moaning about rules changes. But, endurance is the key (not that hp doesn't matter). The Porsches were about as close to rock solid as it comes.

Too bad the Factory refuses to field something of their own for LM. They aren't exactly cash strapped.
Mugs914
UPDATE: Porsche now 1-2 overall after Acura DQ...

According to Motorsport.com, during the post-race inspection, the Lowe's Acura ARX failed an engine restrictor test and was disqualified from second overall. This promotes the Dyson Porsche into second overall and second (obviously) in P2. The Audi TDI is promoted to third overall, first in P1. Porsches are now 1-2-3 in P2.

The restrictor test insures that the engines are getting all of their induction air through the mandated restrictor in the air box. A plug is stuck in the restrictor and the engine must quit running, or not start if it is already off. The Acura failed to shut down when the restrictor was plugged, indicating there was air getting through to the engine from somewhere else in the air box. The car passed the test prior to the race and the crew said the failed test was the result of the brutal Sebring track conditions pounding the car and causing cracks in the air box. No suggestion of anything intentional, just bad racing luck. Life's rough sometimes...
PBritain
i dont buy that it was caused by the track, none of the other cars had that problem. acura is trying to stop the porsche juggernaut.
Mugs914
Yeah, not sure I buy it either, but so far no official accusations are being made...
Gint
QUOTE(PBritain @ Mar 16 2008, 11:14 PM) *

i dont buy that it was caused by the track, none of the other cars had that problem. acura is trying to stop the porsche juggernaut.

Doesn't matter. If it's caused by the track conditions and they can't pass post race inspection they need to revise their airbox so they don't have that problem in the future. If they're getting air from somewhere other than the restricted opening they have an unfair advantage. Rules are rules and apply to everyone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.