Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Harbor Freight Leakdown tester
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
So I took out the new HF leak tester to play with it.

I just put on the 3/4 bank of pistons/cylinder and torqued down the head. Get N03 to TDC. Pull the tester out of the box, and the leak gauge is showing about 40% leak before I even plug it in.

OKay, so I read the instructions, as this looks like it works differently from the last tester that I used.

Directions say to hook it up to the engine. Then depresurize the regulator until the leak dial hits zero. Then it should give me a percentage loss.

Huh? There has to be somehting else I do to show the percentage loss. I have not changed the tool from setting it to zero.

Tool 1, Zach 0
Someone that has used one of these things please pipe in. What am I not doing.

Zach
SLITS
As I remember, you set it to zero before hooking it to the cylinder. If you are using 100 psi feed, you will see about 15 on the guage when it is "zeroed". Then you plug it in to the engine and it will read leakdown as a percentage.

Before you disconnect from the engine, bleed the air pressure down with the regulator on the leakdown tester. If you don't the needle will slam into the stop and beome permantely set at 45% (unpressurized) which may have already happened. After I discovered this, I bought a new one and returned the old one.

Hey, it's just numbers .... a cheap tool ..... all the engines I have tested (most not run in a long time) run between 25% to 35% leakdown. One of the days I may try it on an engine that has been run recently.
sww914
I had the same one and I had the same results as SLITS, 35% - 40% leakdown on an engine with a fresh valve job and new rings. I kind of treated it like a compression test, relative numbers not absolute numbers. I got a better one for 3X the money.
Yes, set it to zero before you hook it up to the engine.
Gint
I haven't tried their leak down tester. I did have similar results with their compression tester. They're both in the total junk HF tool category.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 16 2008, 01:26 AM) *

Before you disconnect from the engine, bleed the air pressure down with the regulator on the leakdown tester. If you don't the needle will slam into the stop and beome permantely set at 45% (unpressurized) which may have already happened. After I discovered this, I bought a new one and returned the old one.

I think that is exactly what happened to mine. I have a feeling I got one that had been returned.

Zach
VaccaRabite
I took it back.

What should I look for in leak down tester?

Zach
scotty b
IMO Harbor Frieight is in the total junk catagory as a whole. NEVER trust anything mechanical to cheapo tools. Zach I bought this one. It isn't a Strap On but it works well and costs about 1/3 what a strap on will.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Dual-Ga...sspagenameZWDVW
biosurfer1
I wouldn't trust anything important to a HF tool, but as far as simple/disposable tools, HF can't be beat.

Just last week I got a hammer, 3 paint brushes, 5 wire brushes, a mini screw driver set, clamps and bungie cords for less than $7. Couldnt beat that anywhere and I don't see how any of them could fail, and if they do, oh well.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(scotty b @ Mar 16 2008, 04:44 PM) *

IMO Harbor Frieight is in the total junk catagory as a whole. NEVER trust anything mechanical to cheapo tools. Zach I bought this one. It isn't a Strap On but it works well and costs about 1/3 what a strap on will.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Dual-Ga...sspagenameZWDVW

Cool, bought one.

Zach
Dr Evil
I needed my dial gauge today (that I let you use and you still have, Zach) and figured I would go to HF and see what they had. $7 and it was perfect smile.gif You just got to be wary. I like that they take things back pretty easily.

Zach, the engine should be ready to go in next weekend. Are you free Sun?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 16 2008, 08:56 PM) *

Zach, the engine should be ready to go in next weekend. Are you free Sun?

Probably.

Erin decided that the nursery needed to be repainted. mad.gif At least she made this choice now, and not the week before she popped. I move furniture in on the 29th, so the paint has to be done by then.

Oh, and it is Easter, and I might be pulled away for familial obligations.

Sunday morning would be way easier to lock in then Sunday afternoon.

On the other hand, it is Easter. Which means I have 4 days off. Which means I should be able to get free and come up to help sometime between Friday and Monday.

Zach
Dr Evil
Oh ya, Easter (duh). I am also freeish on Sat after about 12. I think I have to round in the AM on my patients.

Repainting the nursery? dang....dry.gif
plas76targa
Mike, PM me if you end up doing this on Saturday. I'll try to come up - but need to check wif da boss 1st. dry.gif
VaccaRabite
Well the leakdown tester that I got from Ebay showed up today.
The guy must have put that sucker in the mail the same instant that I ordered it. Its a really nice kit, I can't wait to use it.

Zach
Dr Evil
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Mar 17 2008, 09:18 AM) *

Mike, PM me if you end up doing this on Saturday. I'll try to come up - but need to check wif da boss 1st. dry.gif

Sorry man, Zach just told me about your reply. I did not get a notice of it in my email. We finished and he has left, but I may be able to use you for something in the near future. PM coming.
plas76targa
confused24.gif No problem. We did some family stuff today and the kids and I watched NCAA basketball. Next Sat is AutoX school and I'm hoping K will go with me. Lemme know what yer thinking.

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 22 2008, 02:14 PM) *

QUOTE(plas76targa @ Mar 17 2008, 09:18 AM) *

Sorry man, Zach just told me about your reply. I did not get a notice of it in my email. We finished and he has left, but I may be able to use you for something in the near future. PM coming.

LS6/914
Dont forget to lock the flywheel in TDC as the air pressure will usually counter rotate the piston giving a false reading headbang.gif Larry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.