Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Measures for flare installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sechszylinder
Hello folks,

I'm in the progress installing flares on my current project car. I've browsed thru the various threads describing the installation processes itself, but I found only one picture with some rough measures (it's a hand sketch, with measures for 916 and 914/6 GT) for the positioni of the flares to the fender.
The problem is that I'm not able to adjust the flares against the wheels or against the front valance cause the car is completely stripped down, so I have to rely on pure measures.

It would be absolutely fantastic, if someone could provide me with the dimensions for the distance A and B (only front fender this time ;-) ), which I've marked in the attached picture.
Based on those dimensions I would prepare an exact sketch, which could be used in the future .

best greetings from Germany smilie_flagge6.gif
Benno

Click to view attachment
PRS914-6
The problem is that every rocker brand, front valance, flare etc. is slightly different. I found the best way is to have all parts in hand and mount the flare where it will require the least amount of work to make them all fit properly and flow into each other the way they should. Not an easy task and if not adjusted accordingly, you could spend hours (or days) making the other components fit.

The measurement you ask would be different for every situation.....
Click to view attachment
degreeoff
agree.gif Thats what I did and I still had a boatload of stuff to address. You should have all the parts available.
PanelBilly
I spent days trying to find just the right location. I concluded that there was no perfect fit. I modified the body panels in places to fit the flairs because I found the flairs to be more alike than the original quarter panels.
John
I think they look best when they are centered on the wheel. To do this, it sounds like you would have to bolt up the suspension parts to check. If they are still on the car, you could also center the flare on the original wheel arches.

I would not want to go through the flare installation based on some dimensions and then when you put the car together find out that the wheels are not centered inside the flare. (That would look real bad.)

As far as the rocker panels and the front and rear spoilers matching the flares, I would fit them to the flares. The fiberglass parts that I have seen are going to need to be fitted anyway. (I would not base flare placement on any of them.)

I could measure mine, but I can't guarantee that they will work on every car.
Wes V
I agree with everybody else; there just isn't any "correct" placement.

I'd recommend just going by the wheel placement, which is what you will notice on the finished car the most.

Then modify everything else to match.

Wes V
chrisw
as being an individual stressed about doing this myself, and just completing it. agree.gif with the above, put em on, then make eveything else match.
Jeff Hail
OEM flares and rocker moldings. Even the factory stuff has about a 1/4 inch variance
John
QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Mar 16 2008, 06:25 PM) *

OEM flares and rocker moldings. Even the factory stuff has about a 1/4 inch variance

That's good to know.

Did you create this picture or where did you get it?
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(John @ Mar 16 2008, 07:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeff Hail @ Mar 16 2008, 06:25 PM) *

That's good to know.

Did you create this picture or where did you get it?

The base diagram is from the factory body manual. The flares are photoshopped.
Measurements taken from a factory built 914/6.

Diagram title translated to english "Do these flares make my ass look fat"
sechszylinder
Hello folks,

many thanks for all of the replies. piratenanner.gif

I understand, that I have to mount the front valance and the rocker panels, or better to mount the complete suspension to find the right location of the flares.

Due to the fact that the parts that i have fit like crap I will mount the complete suspension ... that will take some time ... blink.gif

Jeff, thanks for the sketch, that's exactly what I've had in mind.

But besides that, it would be very helpful if some could provide me some real figures of a flare installation.

best greetings from Germany

Benno
pffft
Here's what I have

patrick

Click to view attachment
Krieger
Well Jeff and pffft's results are within the .25 variance listed Jeff's Big ass diagram. Thats something. Anybody else have a Homo 916 like pffft? I have to put flares on at some point.
John
QUOTE(pffft @ Mar 20 2008, 04:23 PM) *

Here's what I have

patrick

Click to view attachment

Is that from AA? I recall seeing that exact sketch before.
pffft
QUOTE(John @ Mar 20 2008, 04:57 PM) *

QUOTE(pffft @ Mar 20 2008, 04:23 PM) *

Is that from AA? I recall seeing that exact sketch before.

Yep, I am pretty sure that is where it came from.

Right now I am on sleeper/low profile kick for the v8 so the flares
live in the rafters, but I am having so much fun welding in the engman longs
and Tangerine console stiff kits I may have to just keep going.
sechszylinder
Hi folks,

two weeks after i've posted my questions regarding the right position for the flares i've mounted the suspension parts to my car to adjust the flares according to the wheels.
My opinion is now that there is definitively no other way then mounting all the parts to get the right position for the flares.

In my special case the numbers, which have been posted for the front fender, were completely off.

Now everthing sits in it's place and i can start welding. welder.gif

Again, many thanx for the valuable hints !!

best greetings from Berlin smilie_flagge6.gif

Benno
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.