Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worked on the car today...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stephenaki
So, didn't really get to do much this past week and I went to the Stuttgart Retro-Classics Auto show yesterday, will post another thread with some pictures.

Got back yesterday and decided to put the battery back in. OK, roll her out of the tiny German garage, plop in the battery, hook up negative, pull the positive up to hook it up...WTF? Damn cables just fell out of the terminal clamp! blink.gif

OK, no problem, lets take a look...crap, the terminal clamp is pretty much toast. Its past 1700 so any store that would have what I need is closed. headbang.gif That just blows.

So I went to the Autocraft shop this morning and after about 1/2 an hour of looking at the beater donated cars and in several bins the manager of the shop was able to find me a brand spanking new one in still in the package! And he didn't charge me anything! On a side note, the bay he found it in was the one that had Scotty's (other mechanic that works there) 69 Camarro Z28 up on the lift and it was almost perfect! Sweet car!

Too make a long story short, I spent about 3 hours re-splicing wires on the passenger side of the car from the headlight compartment to the turn signal and side markers. Also cleaned up both grounds and made sure they were good. Still no headlights and the left side marker and turn signal don't come on. Its not the bulb, I swapped them and they work fine on the other side. The PO did a hack job on the wiring and all the rhino liner crap has all the wires BLACK! I don't know what is what!!

I did check the driver side socket for power, nada, nicht, zilch. So I decided that it was time for someone who knew what they are doing to mess with the electrical issue.

On to pulling out the tank. Easiest thing I have done yet. Unfortunately, in the process of pulling the tank what I believe to be an overflow tube on the brake reservoir snapped off. Picture is attached. The underside of the tank was caked with dirt and I clawed it out of there then vacuumed the area. I pulled the fuel lines that connect to the main line and will take them in to the parts place tomorrow to get some new lines.

My goal now is to clean and rebuild the carbs once the rebuild kit comes in and get her running. Then driver her down to a guy that really knows the 914s here in Stuttgart and have him fix the electrical problem. Once that is done then all I have to do is put in a new exhaust stud, hook up the heat exchanger and new muffler I ordered and she should be able to pass inspection. After that is done I will start working on the little things. I have pictures below so you can see the area under the tank, the brake reservoir (someone tell me if that tube breaking is a BIG issue or not) and the passenger side light motor all nice and rhino lined. Actually the lining is a cheap after market deal.

I do have the heat exchanger parts in the van to drop off at the powder coaters tomorrow. Will have to clean the flapper boxes up myself but the rest I will give to someone else to do.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
biosurfer1
Fixing electrical wire connections is annoying and time consuming, but totally worth it to know you fixed it right and don't have to worry about the connections falling off going 80 on the autostrade!
Dave_Darling
The hose is just an overflow hose. Not a big deal. It'd be better if it were there, but it's not at all critical. It'll be important if you spill a little brake fluid while filling the reservoir, or if it overflows a touch when you push the brake pistons back to fit new pads.

Don't know how that affects inspection over there, that'd be the thing I'd worry about.

A replacement reservoir should have the hookup for it. It's a pain to fit the new hoses onto the bottom of the reservoir, but otherwise a very straightforward R&R.

As long as the tank is out, you might consider using some naval jelly or other rust converter to deal with the little bit of surface rust that is there.

--DD
Bleyseng
Geez, why do idiots spray that black crap all over everything! Makes making any repairs a nightmare besides lookin S T U P I D.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 16 2008, 05:22 PM) *

Geez, why do idiots spray that black crap all over everything! Makes making any repairs a nightmare besides lookin S T U P I D.

Hear, hear! That stuff belongs on the BOTTOM of the car and, aside front the rockers & valenses - nowhere else. Idiots!
stephenaki
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 16 2008, 01:34 PM) *

The hose is just an overflow hose. Not a big deal. It'd be better if it were there, but it's not at all critical. It'll be important if you spill a little brake fluid while filling the reservoir, or if it overflows a touch when you push the brake pistons back to fit new pads.

Don't know how that affects inspection over there, that'd be the thing I'd worry about.

A replacement reservoir should have the hookup for it. It's a pain to fit the new hoses onto the bottom of the reservoir, but otherwise a very straightforward R&R.

As long as the tank is out, you might consider using some naval jelly or other rust converter to deal with the little bit of surface rust that is there.

--DD

I saw the replaement on PP; the 'black crap' has made the plastic brittle so I will have to replace the whole thing.

I also have some german rust stuff that I plan on using once I decipher the directions. Treating the surface rust was an immediate concern as soon as I cleaned up the area well enough to see it.
rhodyguy
pm sent.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.