Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Might have been asked before.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
Is there a difference in the cases between a 1.7 and a 2.0 bare case? If so..can the 1.7 be modified...

Also...I have a 2.0 I think I can make run....but it is missing two injectors...can I just use the 1.7 injectors to make it fire up...not gonna drive it...just dont want to ruin the brain or anything else....

Thanks...

Quad
SirAndy
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Mar 16 2008, 02:34 PM) *

Is there a difference in the cases between a 1.7 and a 2.0 bare case? If so..can the 1.7 be modified...

yes and yes ... smile.gif

the 1.7 case is actually the better of the two and only needs minor modifications to be used with the 2.0L jugs ...
bye1.gif Andy
Dave_Darling
Or no modifications at all? Last I heard, the only real differences were the serial number, and the fact that many early 1.7s didn't have the boss for the windage tray...

The 2.0 crank, rods, pistons, and cylinders will drop right into a 1.7 case.

--DD
Gint
Really? I sure would like to get a definitive answer on this. DOes soemone out there really now for sure?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 16 2008, 07:11 PM) *

The 2.0 crank, rods, pistons, and cylinders will drop right into a 1.7 case.

i thought the 1.7L case had to be machined slightly to accept the 2.0L jugs ...
idea.gif Andy
quadracerx
Yikes.... confused24.gif Now Im really confused....LOL Actually thats normal for me....but it would be cool to get the difinitive....(Spelling?) answer...Maybe Jake would know?

What about the injector issue...can I use the 1.7 ones...just to fire the 2.0 off...without hurting the injection brain?

Quad
RoadGlue
I just built a 2.0 off a 1.7 case and I had clearance issues just as Andy described. You have to do a little machining to let the piston skirts clear when they're at the bottom of their strokes. If I recall correctly, it was just the most fore and after pistons that wouldn't clear. It's been a year, so it's fuzzy in my mind now. smile.gif

I don't think you'd hurt the ECU or injectors by using 1.7 injectors with a 2.0 system. However, I'd be worried about your running the motor lean, which could cause some real damage? Why half ass it? Just do it right from the start.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.