Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Detailing - Do's & Don'ts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
If this thread is large enough, I'll nail it.

Let's here your witches brew for making your beast "acceptable" to the public, or just acceptable to you.

Warning to all - there will be no personal slams (including towards me - well OK I can take it!) because of selected methods or products. Snakeoil products welcomed.

Go for it - who wants to be first?
Pat
auerbach
I'm a big believer in Griots products. I try to keep well ahead of the major problem areas by doing a little cleaning very frequently. Interior 2-3 times a week when driving and a solid wash every week or more frequently if necessary. Full wax and polish are done three times during the season with touch ups as needed. I justify the time spent as falling under my weekly exercise requirement.
pin31
Wow...I wish I had your motivation. I'll make a point of being better this year.

BTW...nice area code !!
pin31
What do you guys do for the targa top?

I've read some use back to black. Does anyone wax the top too?
tod914
PO on my car used shoe polish on the roof, pia to remove. I like the PS21 products, the wash, paint cleaner and wax for the body. The wax is white/clear so it wont tint the paint like the other darker waxes do when it's on. Lexol Vinalx applied on a damp cloth for the interior, Glass plus for the windows; doesnt streak like windex. The allum. window trim I use the PS21 cleaner and wax. Still looking for a good rubber care product. I would not use PS21 wheel cleaner on the alloy rims, it will stain them if left on too long. For degreasing I'm pretty happy with ZEP citrus degreaser for the engine etc. Can get that at home depot. Wet down 1st, then apply. Dont leave it on long and you should have good success with it. It can stain paint if left on for a period of time so be carefull.
dw914er
ditto on the shoe polish on the top

never dull on the bumpers and aluminum trip about every 6 months or so

meguires quick polish for right before the show, or when you dont have enough time for a carwash
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 17 2008, 12:47 PM) *

PO on my car used shoe polish on the roof, pia to remove. I like the PS21 products, the wash, paint cleaner and wax for the body. The wax is white/clear so it wont tint the paint like the other darker waxes do when it's on. Lexol Vinalx applied on a damp cloth for the interior, Glass plus for the windows; doesnt streak like windex. The allum. window trim I use the PS21 cleaner and wax. Still looking for a good rubber care product. I would not use PS21 wheel cleaner on the alloy rims, it will stain them if left on too long. For degreasing I'm pretty happy with ZEP citrus degreaser for the engine etc. Can get that at home depot. Wet down 1st, then apply. Dont leave it on long and you should have good success with it. It can stain paint if left on for a period of time so be carefull.

Hey Tod!

Agree with most of your list of products, though I' more prone to use the the things I've used for - forever.

My choice of wash is a gallon of water with 7-10 drops of Ivory Liquid. Cleans & rinses off quickly. Does no damage to wax.

Like Vinalx too.

Don't like any PS21 products. I know everyone else does, and they may work well on newer finishes, but I can't work fast enough to keep them from leaving marks on my old beast. YMMV!

Then, there is the top. I've used Turtle Wax Black Vinyl Top Dressing since day one. Does an excellent job, but has 2 problems. 1) Isn't available anymore ( the major problem) and 2) requires you to rub the crap out of it.

Rubber.....oh yeah, they biggest problem in my estimation (check the costs for replacement parts$). In my opinion, there are 2 major things that degrade rubber parts. Sunlight & ozone (could be construed to come from the same source). Way back in the early 70's, I used Armorall products. They did more harm than good. Then, departed friend told me about glycerine. Been using it since the mid 70's. For the most part, my rubber pieces have been kept intact since using glycrin twice a year, but not all. This past weekend, as I was changing my engine tin screws, each time I brushed against a fuel injector boot, they crumbled. Guess that 36 years just caught up with them, as thin as they are.

Still a believer in glycerine for protection, but the time comes when you have to face replacement.
Pat
tod914
Pat, here's the trick to using the ps21 cleaner and wax. have 2 two soft cotton t-shirts or what ever you use ready. 1 to apply and the other to wipe off/buff with.
you work in a very small area at a time. maybe 1 1/2 ft square or less. put a small amount of the cleaner or wax on the tshirt, then rub into the area till you get the cleaning effect you like. then immediatly, start to buff with the other shirt before it has a chance to dry. this will prevent any type of streaking. waxing is the same, but i use the foam applicator. John and Ray Patterak had a concours seminar on this a few years back. was fortunate enough to be there. got alot of good info from them.
I would think you would get great results with any wax doing it their way.
tod914
Here's a of shot of the PS21 wax on. Just have the engine bay to finish up.
Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 21 2008, 11:48 AM) *

Here's a of shot of the PS21 wax on. Just have the engine bay to finish up.
Click to view attachment

I'll give it s shot! Like to try new things (like PS21 is new!).

Don't want to hijack this thread, so please Tod, PM me. Have you had ANY luck regardinf 1.7 intake seals?
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.