Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another piece of the puzzle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
Added another piece to my 3.6 conversion puzzle today, picked up a 915 tranny with GT LSD, spray bar, pump, cooler and new bearings/syncros. Hopefully it's not junk? Now I just need to flip the R&P and buy a Wevo side shifter kit.

Here's a pic........
East coaster
Oh yeah........I need 915 stub axles to work with 911 axles and hubs. As you can see in the pic, it came without stubs. Oops, I need the 911 axles and hubs too!

Anybody have a set kickin' around??
SirAndy
sweet! wub.gif

that pump won't fit tho, unless you want to cut the trunk ...

i'd love to see the finished product!
Andy
boxstr
East, Hope that was a good buy, I emailed seller "no paperwork on rebuild" I had to back off.
Good lick.
CCLINTRANSMISSION
East coaster
Yeah, I figured on having to mount the pump elsewhere. I don't know how necessary the pump will be on a street car, but I figured it wouldn't hurt either. Maybe just switch it on for prolonged drives?

boxstr - I hope it was a good deal too! I've been looking for a while and this guy is local to me. For some reason that made me feel better then trusting one that was a couple thousand miles away or out of a boneyard. I guess I'll find out??
davep
Can you actually use the 911 axles? I thought they were the wrong length. I recall that some vendors offered custom axles to work with 911 CV's and the 914 length.

DaveP
turns out you need a spacer between the bearing and the hub - ok i guess for street, but for track.... no dice.
East coaster
Does anybody have a recommendation on what output flanges I should use with what axles? I'm assuming a need '69 - '73 stubs and hubs and I'm not sure what options I have for mating those to the tranny. I don't want to buy output falnges till I know what axles they need to mate up with.

I was originally going to beef up a 901, but was convinced here that was was not the way to go with a 3.6 in front of it. Now I already have 914-6 stub axles and I'm guessing those are no longer of any use for me? Do I just sell these and buy 911 stubs or can they be used??

Thanks in advance for any info!
East coaster
Yeah!!!! I finally picked up my tranny and tore into it. It looks like it's as advertised. It's spotless inside and does have the ZF limited slip and all seems in perfect condition. Unfortunately the rear oil line fitting, which is welded on to the rear cover, will have to be refabricated on the Wevo tail cover.

Does anyone know the details of what need to be machined to clearance the flipping of the ring & pinion? Also, when shimming the ring gear for mesh do the shims go between the bearing and carrier or between the ring gear and carrier?? Looks like it would be alot easier to setup a 915 R&P when it's not flipped, with the R&P flipped it looks like I'll have to pull the shafts each time I need to add/delete shims.

Last question, Is there anyone in the NJ tri-state area that anyone could recommend to perform the R&P flip for me? If I can't find someone local........it's comin' your way Brad! Although I know you have alot on your plate right now!
Joe Bob
You need 911 axles and hubs? I might have a source....PM me....
ChrisFoley
Check with Musante Motorsports. Ph.# (860) 291-9415
I know Chris M. pretty well, but I can't say whether he has specific experience with the 915 R&P flip.
East coaster
Bump........Anybody with the details of flipping the ring gear and shimming it??? Is there any resource on the web illustrating this procedure or even a 915 rebuild?

Chris - Thanks for the tip on Musante, I'll keep them in mind if decide not to tackle it myself.
East coaster
Bump?? Damn, I haven't been on the bbs since I went Snowboarding for a week in Utah and still nobody fessed up on how to flip the R&P?? Come on...........some of you V-8 guys must have done a ring and pinion flip on a 915??? Throw me a frickin' bone number two!

And for all you 914 guys who live in Sandy, UT I'm jealous it must be great to cruise the road to Brighton in the summer with your teeners!!! I had a woodie just thinkin' about taking a 914 through that 360 degree switchback ascent/descent at the halfway point.
TimT
ok the shims go between the bearing and the carrier..... the ring gear bolts to the carrier..

I have 911 axles and hubs..
jtf914
Here a 915 rebuild article by one of the local NoVA guys, still a work in progress:

915 Rebuild

-Justin
East coaster
Thanks Justin! I hope they add the re-assembly soon. My tranny seems to be in perfect shape, I just need to flip the R&P and add the Wevo tail cover. Looks like the R&P flip will be a pain in the ass since it looks like I'll have to pull the shafts out each time I have to check/change shims. I should probably send it out, but foolish pride makes me want to do it myself unsure.gif
Brad Roberts
We only charge 250$ to flip the Ring gear. It takes about 5k dollars in new shims and setup tools to properly set one up. Most people dont have the tools. You should be able to have this done at Translog. I know they are on the east coast. The owner races SCCA GT2 Porsches and is very familiar with the 915 box. He can also install the WEVO setup for you if need be. I dont have his name, but I do know that Grassroots used him to rebuild their 901 box in project 914.

B
ChrisFoley
Gary Wigglesworth. I believe he owns an original 914-6GT race car. Translog has an ad in Classic Motorsports, or whatever the sister publication to Grassroots is called.
Brad Roberts
Yes !! That is him. He also bought whole bunch of 914GT fiberglass moulds a few years back. I can never recall his name.

Good guy. Good work. Nice people.

B
East coaster
Thanks guys! I guess I'm better off sending it out.

Brad, I wanted to send it to you, but figured with all you have going on right now you wouldn't have time??? If you do have the time I'd still be interested in the Wevo goodies and a flip. I hope all is well with your new venture!
Brad Roberts
Send it to us. Tranny's are easy. They dont take up much space and they look nice on engine stands.

I received 2 tranny's this week for complete rebuilds. Both are being torn apart and a estimate being created for the customers. It is engines that take forever (many machine shops involved). I will forewarn you that the 915 wont leave this shop if the pinion bearing races are loose in the bores. I cant take the chance. It is a 800$ fix to correct the problem and install the 930 pinion bearings/races. It also takes 4-6 weeks (lots of precision machining). HOPEFULLY your box is fine.. but 80% of the 915's we take apart have loose races causing premature failure of the R+P.

B
East coaster
Cool..........I need an address and shipping instructions. Hopefully the cooling mods it has will work with the Wevo tail piece. It has a fitting welded to the stock tail piece to connect to the spray bar? I'll ship it ASAP. Do you need any of the cooling crap with it (see pics above)?
Brad Roberts
Send it complete.

High Performance House
2431 Spring st.
Redwood city Ca. 94063

Crate it up and send it via Forward air. They are cheap and located at every major airport in the USA. SFO is about 30 minutes north of us (where Foward air is located). They only except money orders so deliver it and get the shipping costs and grab a MO from a place close by (they will know where all the places are located) We are 1 exit down the freeway from WEVO so getting the pieces/parts is easy. I stop by WEVO 2-3 times a week for various projects/parts/pieces.

B
East coaster
Brad, I got a quote from UPS for $126 bucks, is Forward air that much cheaper?? I have about 3 hours driving to do an airport run, if it's not much cheaper I'll just UPS it. Can you PM me a quote for the Wevo goodies (side shift and gate shift)?? Don't know if I can swing the gate shift, but if my tranny is in good shape and doesn't need too much additional work maybe I can??

I'm getting enthused about this project, I spent the weekend machining pulleys and P/S cam block off plate. It's so cool to have a lathe and a Bridgeport!

Thanks!
East coaster,

If you have 'never' shipped a 915 trans via a small pkg
carrier, I suggest you take Brads advice.....
Because, you may get unwanted damage IF you do not package it PROPERLY !

i.e. If the trans were to be place on it side- your cooler lines
could be damage.

P unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.