Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help: Ignition problem with 914-6 in Sunnyvale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bfrymire
Hello,

I am stuck. I have a 914-6 that will not start. It was running and started running poorly, and I replaced/upgraded several components.

I am now using:

Brand new: Pertronix coil (3 ohm), Ignitor module (still have the old one.), and a Second Stike digitial control unit. No spark at all.

I have wired out the second strike, hot wired the car directly from the battery to the coil, and strapped the - side to engine ground to be sure it wasn't getting the correct power. (I wired it the regular way, through the harness, I did the above to troubleshoot.)

Any ideas? I have missed two Autocrosses now! wink.gif

I have checked eveything else also, such as gas to the carbs, and fuel pressure. (Not related to no spark, but just being sure.)

Help!

-- brett
911quest
When you say no spark where are you checking it at the coil wire or the spark plug? If at the plug don't rule out the coil wire or the cap.
bfrymire
QUOTE(911quest @ Mar 16 2008, 07:14 PM) *

When you say no spark where are you checking it at the coil wire or the spark plug? If at the plug don't rule out the coil wire or the cap.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I should have also added" new plugs, new rotor and new cap. Old plug wires, but they look in good shape. I checked at the coil.

-- brett
bfrymire
Fixed it. Back on the road again. piratenanner.gif

Turned out, I didn't understand how the pertronix worked. I thought it was acting as a shunt across the coil and collapesed the field through the current loop to ground. Oops.

Removed the ground strap to ground, and it runs great now.

Doh! Sometimes, you can overthink things... headbang.gif

Now, I might be able to make the breakfast and autocrosses coming up!

For those, who might be interested. I am using a Ignitor, flamethrower coil, and the Second Strike ignition box. What is had before, was an ancient Jacob's box, and ignitor. I believe the coil was a jacob's also. (1.5 ohms, which is incorrect for the ignitor.)

-- brett
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.