Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 valuation... little help from the experts
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
I'm looking at a local 914-6. About 80K milage. The body has no rust per say, just a few little spots here and there. Nothing of any consequence. But the paint is fair condition at best. Could use a repaint, new rubber, and had a small dent on the front fender. The engine leaked oil and smoked on start up when last seen. I'm trying to see if the owner will take it for a PPI for compression and leakdown. Without knowing the condition of the motor and tranny, what do you think would be a fair market price to offer for the owner. I'm trying to plan ahead in case it needs a reseal or rebuild. I believe he has 2 sets of wheels and tires for it as well. Too many unknows at this point, but was hoping you all can point me in the right direction of what a stock 6 rebuild and carb rebuild would cost as well as exhaust system if needed. I have an idea on brakes and suspension work. I'm guessing at paint work around 6K for an exterior respray if I strip off everything myself? Is that about right? The plus for the car is the rust free body and interior was in very good condition. This was seeing it 3 years ago. His asking price then when it had running problems was about 16500 if I recall (which seemed high being the state of the car at that time). I think one head was rebuilt, other than that the motor is original.

Thanks,

Tod
Ferg
Sounds like a 16,500 car to me, sounds like it also would take at least another 20k to make it nice.

Your paint and body work # may be ok for exterior respray, but you say it has a little spot here or there of no concern, I'm always concerned. And unless the trunks are real nice, would want to go all the way.

Figure another 6k on motor and carbs.

These project cars tend to surprise people... makes a real real nice six in the mid thirty's or even 40's look like a deal.

Ferg
tod914
Yah I hear yah Ferg, I dumped a chunk of change into my 4 banger and that car was hardly driven over the past 33 years and needed brakes, etc. That was a 40k milage car when I got it. That's exactly what I dont want to do is to get into a car that will exceed it's value by bringing it up to very nice condition. Always seems best to buy one that's already sorted out. Thanks for the input. He made mention the car is being driven now. Prior it was sitting a while. So not sure if the all smoke on start up is common on the 6's or not if they been sitting around along time. Regarding the rust, it was a spot about the size of a quarter on the sail area due to a paint chip. And also where the turn signal was due to the dent. Aside from that usually areas all checked out fine.
rick 918-S
Is this a conversion or a jennie 6?

There have been some conversion cars that sold recently for under $ 6,000.00 that would fit into the " needs paint and some work" catagory. Then there were a couple of cars that sold for 11,000.00 and under that were nice drivers needing some attension to stuff like wiring ect.

I would plan on a complete brake refit, struts, engine and carb rebuild, as well as paint and interior work. You can see where this is going.
tod914
Rick car is an original 1970 6. Interior is fine on it. No cracks etc. Carpet was in good shape as I recall. Was missing the vin decal on the door for some reason but the car had original paint.
davep
The decal and the windshield VIN tag are only on North American cars, so a Euro car would not have either. Engine serial #'s are a different series also.
Please get me the VIN, the paint code and the body # from the rear trunk floor.
tod914
US car, has the side markers and US gages. Just think the decal was removed.
rick 918-S
With the Bear Sterns development you could move your cash into hard assets to protect your money from the hogs. Best to get the best buy you can though as the dollar continues to grow weaker against foriegn currency. The six would be a shelter around $ 6-8,000.00 with a long term growth in the quadriple digits.
carr914
Right now, at anything below crazy, it is like money in the bank. Especially vs the Euro competitors. The only thing that I see with many cars coming on the market is how strong is the drivetrain? Alot of money to spend after the fact if you get the wrong car. I think the future is good for high quality 6 conversions as well.

T.C.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 17 2008, 12:58 PM) *

Yah I hear yah Ferg, I dumped a chunk of change into my 4 banger and that car was hardly driven over the past 33 years and needed brakes, etc. That was a 40k milage car when I got it. That's exactly what I dont want to do is to get into a car that will exceed it's value by bringing it up to very nice condition. Always seems best to buy one that's already sorted out. Thanks for the input. He made mention the car is being driven now. Prior it was sitting a while. So not sure if the all smoke on start up is common on the 6's or not if they been sitting around along time. Regarding the rust, it was a spot about the size of a quarter on the sail area due to a paint chip. And also where the turn signal was due to the dent. Aside from that usually areas all checked out fine.

Tod,

As the owner of a 100K+ mileage 911 (73), I'll tell you that - yes, they do smoke on startup, especially after being parked for a while. It should clear in less than 5 minutes (oil pooling on the tops of the cyliners). They are cantakerous beasts, but when driven regularly, those old sixes are soooo sweet!

Good luck, my friend!

Pat
tod914
Pat you keep an eye on things here. Any suggestions as to a fair price for both buyer and seller? I havent really been up on 6 prices the last couple years. When I was actively looking the extremely nice ones where in the low to mid 20s.
Gint
Tough call, especially without any pics. 16500 could be about right. Stock 2.0 motor?

Little rust spots have a tendency to turn into big rust spots as soon as you start stripping paint.

Most used early six motors smoke on startup. As Pat said, it burns off quickly. Most of 'em leak too.
tod914
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Porsch...tem300206094451

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...tem220212600117

here's 2 "restored" for about 25-26K. so it would seem 16-17 range depending on mechanics would be somewhere in ball park for that one.
carr914
Buy it quick
Ferg
QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 18 2008, 12:49 PM) *

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-Porsch...tem300206094451

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...tem220212600117

here's 2 "restored" for about 25-26K. so it would seem 16-17 range depending on mechanics would be somewhere in ball park for that one.

Those auctions are meaningless right now, that's what they are at now, but they always jump at the end. And confirming ebay sales is tough unless you know the buyer or seller. How many cars have we seen not meet reserve, and then never relisted (deal struck offline for ?? price) and how many sales that ended sold, end up back on ebay with BS reasons (guy bailed, wife said no, ect ect) shill bidders, on ebay, never laugh.gif

Where's the Capt, he'll tell you what it's worth laugh.gif

Todd, you need to focus on the rust aspect of this car first, before you even start talking #'s with the seller, look at Pete's (horizontally opposed) thread on his car, And the thread of Thomas B's car in the concour forum.

Ferg

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.