Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How low can you go?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Twise
Damn, gonna have to be careful. Was just noticing how low this sucker really is. Glad I splashed this beautiful front valance - I won't be as worried about scuffing it up.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
rusty914
plenty of clearance. biggrin.gif

She looks beautiful.
porschecb
Thats LOW! You will have to sneak into just about any driveway! Looks good though. biggrin.gif
914-8
Beautiful looking car! It's going to look awesome when you are done.

As to your question, How Low Can You Go? The answer is: Not THAT low! I don't think you'll be able to use the car on the street that low, with that front spoiler. No matter how careful you are, that spoiler is going to get wrecked, IMO.
Krieger
Front a-arms should be at least parallel to the ground, maybe slightly down sloping to wheel. Your track gets smaller after they are parallel.
dw914er
reminds me of how low my old front fiberglass spoiler was....

looks great, just make sure to watch out for broken tyre pieces in the road (we hit one, broke it, had it repared, next day, hit another, were gonna fix it, had the 914 towed casue of few problems, and it ripped off coming off the trailer, and decided, screw it)

i will get an le valence instead

anyways, looks great though, watch out with the dips, and debris, and it will look sharp
ahdoman
Make sure your car is reliable because that ain't gonna fly with AAA.
alpha434
Just cut a nice round hole in that pretty spoiler and mount a tow hook.

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Twise @ Mar 17 2008, 02:16 PM) *

Damn, gonna have to be careful. Was just noticing how low this sucker really is. Glad I splashed this beautiful front valance - I won't be as worried about scuffing it up.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Extremely cool! But, you've trimmed your eyebrows a little too much! pray.gif
Pat
PeeGreen 914
It is very low. I have scraped mine a few times. I made mine so I can take it off easily in case I need to.
LarryR
Dang my car has at leat 1.5" more clearence than that and it takes me a couple of minutes to get out of the driveway and I still scrape almost every time ... As gorgeous as that looks I would bump it up an inch or 2 to save the spoiler unless it is going to be track only ...

Really incredible looking car! beerchug.gif
PeeGreen 914
You will be fine. you can go over speed bumps with it as long as they are mild ones and not the ginormous ones. Just becareful when you go up anything that has a different incline.
Borderline
What are you running for front torsion bars? That thang is going to scrape under braking!!! Looks great though! biggrin.gif
championgt1
Looking good! I love it. Nice touch on the color matched bumpers.
914-8
Just to be safe, buy an aftermarket LE spoiler, and have 'em paint it while they have the paint mixed and the paint gun out!
PeeGreen 914
I am going to have an LE on hand once Dan gets it to me for that reason wink.gif
Joe Ricard
Here is how low you can go.
smg914
What is the name of the color?
What is the number you used to determine the color?
What brand paint did you select?
What type of paint did you use? single stage, single stage/clear coat or base coat/clear coat?
McMark
It looks sick! I bet you're on your bumpstops. BTDT. wink.gif It doesn't drive nice that way. Stick some airbags in it, so you can drop it when you park, but drive a little higher. happy11.gif Hey! Don't stifle me! happy11.gif
Twise
QUOTE(smg914 @ Mar 18 2008, 08:18 PM) *

What type of paint did you use? single stage, single stage/clear coat or base coat/clear coat?

Well its custom so: It dont got no name. So, How bout' "Socal Orange"

I started at L20E - No formula for L20E in two stage - So we wung it? Winged it?

We have been sprayin Glasurit for 30+ years in this family...

Glasurit Acrylic Enamel - Base Coat Clear Coat

***I got close with the match to L20E - and then just decided to kick it up a bit. Its close to tangerine, but way less red...

So, either you like, or your building a case??? It has not even been finish sand and buffed yet...
Twise
QUOTE(alpha434 @ Mar 17 2008, 06:09 PM) *

Just cut a nice round hole in that pretty spoiler and mount a tow hook.

Why???

Are gonna get stuck - you need me to pull you out?
jasons
Its a great looking car. Assuming its not on the bumpstops..... Do you think it will come down more once you fully load the body? Full tank of gas, doors, all the glass, etc.
boxstr
Very nice. I love the LOFAT look. Looks like L32K Phoenix red color.I have to do another one.
CCL
RoadGlue
I think the front looks lower than it is because you have it parked coming off a curb. Let's see it on level ground instead of being on a "V". smile.gif
Twise
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Mar 19 2008, 10:05 AM) *

I think the front looks lower than it is because you have it parked coming off a curb. Let's see it on level ground instead of being on a "V". smile.gif

Folks we have a winner!!! Yep, that was basically my point, but everyone started going off in - [love it - bumpstops - articulation - drill holes in it - buy a spare - mount a tow hook] - so many directions, and not looking at the pics. I figured I would wait for someone else to point it out....

Its got a good 2 1/2 inches of clearance, when laying flat. Thanks for all the comments guys...

IPB Image
stateofidleness
how many sq. ft. of dynamat did you use? and did you do the floorpans with it also or just the firewall?
Twise
I only did the firewall - I scrapped the engine pad in the engine bay, and wanted to decrease noise and heat. Should work fine. My floors have the factory tar on them - no rust.
Rand
QUOTE(Twise @ Mar 19 2008, 11:18 AM) *

Folks we have a winner!!! Yep, that was basically my point,...

laugh.gif
Dude you have more patience than me. I was laughing out loud and wanting to shout DUH! over here. Sigh.
Nice car! Can't wait to see her finished. smilie_pokal.gif
McMark
You and your tricky pictures. tongue.gif
Shame on you for making us pay attention! av-943.gif
Eric_Shea
Sound proofing should be outlawed in a 914 with a 2.2S motor... tongue.gif
porschecb
I know it was in a dip! Its still way low! You will still have to sneak into any place that is not damm near level. My car is 4 1/2 up and I am so carefull its crazy! I have had to find my way out of more than one place to continue in my journey in the same direction! I like my car low! But it does come with some problems.

Michael

My car has 205-55-15 with front snow type spoiler.
smg914
QUOTE(Twise @ Mar 18 2008, 10:58 PM) *

QUOTE(smg914 @ Mar 18 2008, 08:18 PM) *

Well its custom so: It dont got no name. So, How bout' "Socal Orange"

I started at L20E - No formula for L20E in two stage - So we wung it? Winged it?

We have been sprayin Glasurit for 30+ years in this family...

Glasurit Acrylic Enamel - Base Coat Clear Coat

***I got close with the match to L20E - and then just decided to kick it up a bit. Its close to tangerine, but way less red...

So, either you like, or your building a case??? It has not even been finish sand and buffed yet...

Thanks for all your answers. I'm about to have my car painted and have similar decisions to make and I wanted to hear how you did yours.
Twise
I just thought it was funny how everyone just jumped to that last pic - and then started educating my ass. I love it. I knew eventually someone would look closer at the pics. I really do love sharing my car on here. Video of it running soon - I promise.

Sean was giving me alignment tips on the other board (and he has seen my car in person). Yep - I posted those pics on all 3 boards. I got all sorts of useless information. However - if its any consolation - The World figured it out first...

Pics of interior next week. I really need a build thread - they are just so much work...
914-8
QUOTE(Twise @ Mar 19 2008, 11:18 AM) *

QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Mar 19 2008, 10:05 AM) *

Folks we have a winner!!! Yep, that was basically my point, but everyone started going off in - [love it - bumpstops - articulation - drill holes in it - buy a spare - mount a tow hook] - so many directions, and not looking at the pics. I figured I would wait for someone else to point it out....

Its got a good 2 1/2 inches of clearance, when laying flat. Thanks for all the comments guys...

IPB Image

It was obvious that the car was on a slope. Of course you aren't going to drive a street car with 1/2 inch clearance on a fglass spoiler.

2 1/2 inch clearance on an Fglass spoiler isn't going to last long on the street, IMO. I'd still get a cheap LE spoiler and have your paint guy spray it while he is doing your other parts. Won't cost much, and at least you'll have it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.