Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gas tank sealing washers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
What should I use as a replacement for the fiber washers that seal the flanges for the supply and return lines on the gas tank? Aluminum or copper crush washers maybe? Anyone BTDT?

I am hoping it is something I can find at ACE. smile.gif
Evill Ed
I used some aluminum crush washers I got at the foreign auto parts store, they work fine.

The factory fiber ones are NLA.

Ed
mightyohm
Thanks Ed, that is my plan as well. Copper should work ok too, right?
Evill Ed
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jan 14 2004, 08:30 AM)
Thanks Ed, that is my plan as well. Copper should work ok too, right?

Right.

Ed
Elliot_Cannon
I used nylon on mine. So far so good.
Cheers, Elliot
mightyohm
I found some copper sealing washers that fit at Kragen. They are in the HELP kits and intended for brake line seals. I will hopefully get the tank hooked up tomorrow and will check for leaks.
mightyohm
Well that didn't work. Both fittings leak. And I found out after putting the tank back in. sad.gif I guess the copper washers weren't good enough. I think maybe they were too thick and did not crush enough. What I really need are some of those thin aluminum crush washers like used on the oil drain plug. But where can I buy them in the right size??

HELP!
Evill Ed
Well, I wound up eliminating them completely. I found that the I.D. of the tank bungs is just about the right size for a 3/8 (or 1/4 maybe,forgot which one?) NPT tap. So I threaded the insides of mine and then added threaded 90° elbows with fuel barbs on them. They have been that way for 3 years now with no leaks. You may wanna try that .

Ed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.