Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carter fuel pump question......
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
degreeoff
is mine mounted too high? as it sits I am 3" or so above the tank and my pressure started to die on me 30 min into tuning my carbs. Does anyone have experience with a setup like this? Do I NEED to mount this pump lower than the tank or at least lower than it is or do I have a POS pump!

Thanks guys...

Josh the fire breathing monster man!!

Click to view attachment
Elliot Cannon
I think you would want it below the tank or as close to the bottom as possible, to unsure positive gravity forced head pressure to the pump. Nice tank, where did you get it and how much does it hold?
Cheers, Elliot
akellym
I have mine level or about level with the bottom of the tank. I think it will work better for you lower.
sww914
I have 2 Carter diaphragm pumps mounted 3-4" above the fuel cell without any issues.
I had one fuel pump with one pickup on one side of the tank and if it was less than 1/2 full I'd run out of gas on the long R sweepers. The cheapest solution was an additional pickup and an additional pump.
I used to have an expensive rotary pump, but it was always a problem, so I tried a less expensive silly sounding diaphragm pump and I'm happier.
degreeoff
I will try a couple of things in the am....one will be to check my fuel filter for tank debris and second (for peace of mind) is to mount the bastard lower in the bay...... I would think that the siphon effect will keep the line fuel once primed...?
jcd914
It has been great watching this come together! biggrin.gif

It would seem to me. if it worked at start up it should still work 30 minutes latter unless you burned a LOT of fuel in 30 minutes or you have a restriction in the system.
I have known several people that have had problems with the foam bits from a fuel cell plugging filters or pumps.
Is your fuel tank vented?

Good Luck.
Jim

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.