Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optima's PC680... help please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
So I just bought a PC680 and am wondering about mounting. I know you can mount it on its side and I was going to do that in the original battery tray. Anyone have pictures of what you did? Also needing pictures of different quick disconnects and how you mounted those.

Thanks
Rand
Hey Jon, check this thread (assuming you mean Odyssey)...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=74834
tod914
I had mine on it's side for a while. Used a strap to secure it like some others did in the thread Rand just posted. If you want it upright, You will have to file off alittle on the bottom lip so it fits in the tray. You'll see once you try to set it in. There is a special clamp that will replace the oem one to secure it to the tray. Can't recall the model number, but I'm sure it's covered in the other thread.
PeeGreen 914
Thanks Rand, That's what I wanted to see biggrin.gif Now I need to go buy some stuff. So how does one use these? Does it matter what kind I get? I know I can get one at Action Auto for $20 but is that going to be fine? How did you mount it on your car?
tango-52
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 17 2008, 07:49 PM) *

So how does one use these? Does it matter what kind I get? I know I can get one at Action Auto for $20 but is that going to be fine? How did you mount it on your car?

It is basically a battery off/on switch. If this is for racing, check your sanctioning body to see if they have specific requirements on its location. It should be accessible and easily visible to rescue workers so they can shut the power off to the engine and primarily to the fuel pump. Make sure that the one you get is large enough in capacity to handle all the power that will be going through it. If it is only running the igintion, F.I. and fuel pump, then it won't need to be as big as if the starter also goes through it. Connect a lead from the battery to one of the posts, and everything that you want to shut off to the other post. Cover the posts with racers tape after you are done, to keep anything from bumping into it by accident. The red key on top is removable, so attach it to the car with a length of safety wire. If, on the other hand, you are using it for a security device, hide it somewhere convenient and route the ignition and fuel pump to it. Then take the key with you when you park it.
PeeGreen 914
So can I just take the negative cable to it and the from it to the battery? Would that work? I was thinking of going through the panel between the window and the mesh that matches the engine lid.... if that make sence.
tango-52
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 17 2008, 08:44 PM) *

So can I just take the negative cable to it and the from it to the battery? Would that work? I was thinking of going through the panel between the window and the mesh that matches the engine lid.... if that make sence.

Electrically, that would work. It's been 20 years since I was in the SCCA, so I'm not sure what the current rules require. I seem to remember that they had wanted it on the positive side, so check before you do it if you need to pass a tech inspection. And the location is good and easy for rescue to get to.
jd74914
I may be way off on this, but wouldn't disconnecting the ground on a running car still let the car run but just kill its alternator?
tango-52
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Mar 17 2008, 09:18 PM) *

I may be way off on this, but wouldn't disconnecting the ground on a running car still let the car run but just kill its alternator?

Maybe that is why they have all the comments in the manuals about not removing the battery while the car is running. But from what I've read, the same would happen by disconnecting the positive side as well. If you are in a situation where the rescue crew needs to shut off power to the car, the engine will probably already be off from the sudden stop, and if not, frying the diodes in the alternator will be the least of your concerns.
PeeGreen 914
I think the main point is to kill any current that is moving through your car. I don't know.
messix
you need to wire the switch to the positive side and the alternator must be wired to the battery side of the switch. all other power to the car goes to the switched side. this will make the switch an emergency power cut off shutting the engine and all other power to the car.
PeeGreen 914
blink.gif That seems like a lot of wiring.
messix
the only way to shut the engine off and all power to the the car is this way.

if you wire it to the neg side it won't shut off the engine and it will blow the alt. and many other electronics that you might have ie; tach, ingition box, stereos stuff like that doesn't like the huge voltage spike that cutting the battery ground to your charging system.
tango-52
QUOTE(messix @ Mar 17 2008, 09:52 PM) *

you need to wire the switch to the positive side and the alternator must be wired to the battery side of the switch. all other power to the car goes to the switched side. this will make the switch an emergency power cut off shutting the engine and all other power to the car.

Oh, I like that solution. idea.gif As far as being too much wiring, I think most of the wires that hook up separately to the battery (i.e. not the main red cable) would go on one side and then on the other side of the switch a cable then running directly to that post where all the others came off. Just check and make sure which one goes to the alternator. The main heavy one should go to your starter.
SirAndy
battery, alternator and ignition cutoff ...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.