Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Race seats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
Going to replace my Scheels. Interested to see what people like the best for race seats. Corbeau and Sparco seem like they are priced the best. Do they all fit in our cars?
bfrymire
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 17 2008, 11:44 PM) *

Going to replace my Scheels. Interested to see what people like the best for race seats. Corbeau and Sparco seem like they are priced the best. Do they all fit in our cars?

I have a kirkey. I will take a pic and upload it later.. Sorry I don't have a picture now. sad.gif

I had to fab the seat bracket, but it fits, and I fit in it. I don't think the seat would be good for long distances.

-- brett
PeeGreen 914
I'm kinda liking the FX1 and the Forza II
sww914
I have a cheap Monaco steel framed seat. I bought it because I knew that I could weld the 914 seat rails directly to the frame and get the seat really low without all the aftermarket brackets and rails. It's not a Cobra brand Monaco, it's a Monaco brand. It was the last one in the country, GPR was the US distributor and they quit selling them for some unclear reason, so I got it for $100.00.
I would really recommend that you go someplace where they have some seats in stock, take a book, and spend 10-15 solid minutes in any seat that you're seriously considering buying. I only sat in this one for a couple of minutes, I bought it for the price. After my first 20 minute run the pain in my back was unbelievable. I had to cut open a seam and stuff a folded towel in the lumbar area of the backrest so that I could drive the car again. Everything's fine, now. That towel has been in there for 6 years. I guess I should check on it sometime.
yarin
I went with (2) Corbeau Forza Seats
IPB Image
Bought them used. The guy welded custom rails for them that bolt to the factory mounts. I think I paid $350 for the pair. Used to have a Kirkey shell seat, really crappy lower back support, not comfortable at all.

Overall i'm happy with the Corbeau seats. Can't use the seating pad as i'm 5'10". Lower back support could be better, nothing a little pad can't fix. Construction isn't the best, but then again you get what you pay for. After a long drive or track event my legs get a bit tired from all the support from the front pads.

Try to test fit the seat you want to buy first. Your butt/back will thank you.
tango-52
I have the corbeau FX1 Pros in my '73. They are snug and comfortable, but I sit too high. I'm 5'8" and I have them on the original brackets. I cut the rear mounting pads off of the seats and I cut the front ones in half. The top of the windshield still blocks about a third of my visibility.
PeeGreen 914
Soooo... if you're 5'8" and I'm 5'10" those would't work for me?

Anyone else... Ideas?
tango-52
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 18 2008, 09:35 AM) *

Soooo... if you're 5'8" and I'm 5'10" those would't work for me?

Anyone else... Ideas?

They might work IF you didn't use the stock brackets but bolted to the floor or roll cage.
chris914
Ultrashield seats are all metal, you can bolt them to the stock rails, and you end up at the same height as a stock seat without the cushion. You then get all of the adjusts of a stock seat as well.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 17 2008, 10:44 PM) *

Interested to see what people like the best for race seats.

i've got a set of Evo's ... not mounted yet, so i can't comment on them much, but the "L" fits my big butt nicely and the height is right.

i will remove the stock crossmember on the floor and weld in two square tubes to mount the sparco seat brackets to.

that will move the seats a bit lower than the stock seats, which is just what i wanted ...
shades.gif Andy

IPB Image
PeeGreen 914
Do you have a good contact for those Andy? I would like to not spend more than 1k for both seats with brackets.

So far the Corbeaus are looking good.
TravisNeff
You ought to try before you buy. Speedware in Redmond carries sparco and recaro.

http://www.speedwaremotorsports.com/index....mp;Category=114
PeeGreen 914
Been there and sat in the seats. I like the Sparco seats. The Recaro seats are over priced I think. I have sat in many seats, but not too many that are actually mounted in the car.
drew365
I use a Sparco Evo in my 914. It's snug even for my skinny butt. I mounted it to the floor with Sparco brackets. I'm 6'1", no problem with headroom.
I bought a new model, Sparco Pro ADV for my Boxster spec race car. I haven't used it yet, but it was nearly as comfortable to sit in as a Recaro for 50% less.
Click to view attachment
byndbad914
QUOTE(chris914 @ Mar 18 2008, 09:10 AM) *

Ultrashield seats are all metal, you can bolt them to the stock rails, and you end up at the same height as a stock seat without the cushion. You then get all of the adjusts of a stock seat as well.

Cheap, but don't have that more "street car" look you might be after. These are all business, but I paid something like $220 each or $250 for these. Covers are replaceable which is nice, so you wear 'em out or stain 'em, etc just buy a new cover and snap into place for $150.

Click to view attachment

sorta get an idea of height seeing the tops of them in this shot - mounted as suggested by Chris - I bolted the sliders directly to the seat bottom.

Click to view attachment

edit - oh yeah, forgot to mention I find them comfortable as can be! It looks like they shouldn't be, but the covers are great. I sat in one for 1/2 hour before buying and couldn't believe how good it felt (a bit better than the Kirkey IMO but that is probably mental, like Coke v. Pepsi since they are essentially identical seats from what I can tell visually).
BKLA
I, also, went with the "ultrashield" due to my fat a$$ being unable to fit in the nice recaro seat that was in the car. Bolted it to the floor and cage. had to remove the ebrake sheet metal cover to fit properly.
Fits fine for an old fat guy!
GaroldShaffer
Racecar came with a Sparco Evo II. I like how it fits my fat bootyshake.gif It is monuted to the floor with the brackets that came with the seat. While I can't slide the seat forward or back, just 4 bolts and I can adjust it for the correct height for me.

dug
My spec miata came with an aluminum ultra-shield road race seat. I hated it.
I got a pair of Momo Cup GT seats that I love. Soooo much more comfortable.
I am going to keep them when I sell the Miata.

I highly recommend sitting in the model of seat you are going to get. They are all different widths for different parts, butt, shoulders, lower back, etc. Make sure it fits you right.

dug
degreeoff
I love the Momo Course seats so far.....I am a 34 waist with 36 love handles and I fit like a glove biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
Richard Casto
Could anyone who has a Kirkey or Ultrashield post some photos of them in the car? I realize they come in different widths, but I am curious to see how close the bottom is to the center console, e-brake lever and if you had to make any modifications to the crossmember brace that the seat rail adjuster attaches to. I am 6'5" and am looking to bolt directly to the floor to maximize headroom and expect I will need to cut out part/all of the cross member to get the seat to bolt in without rails.
byndbad914
QUOTE(dug @ Mar 19 2008, 03:31 AM) *

My spec miata came with an aluminum ultra-shield road race seat. I hated it.

and that is the conundrum with a seat purchase, I had Corbeaus and absolutely hated them, and I think the US seat is fantastic. I also took every measurement that US asked me for and gave them my body dimensions, so the seat is built to me. THAT is probably the difference - dug bought a car with them already so they weren't built to fit him. BTW, no extra cost for giving US dims to build to. My dims matched an existing "off-the"shelf" setup so I didn't have to wait to get them, but the only diff between OTS and custom sizing is the wait time, not price (at least not 1-1/2 yrs ago when I bought mine).

Which brings me back to this statement...

QUOTE(dug @ Mar 19 2008, 03:31 AM) *
I highly recommend sitting in the model of seat you are going to get. They are all different widths for different parts, butt, shoulders, lower back, etc. Make sure it fits you right.

I said it earlier and so did others, but really want to make that a clear theme. I have been involved in racing for quite a few years in some form or another and I can assure you everyone likes a different seat, helmet, driving shoe brand, etc than the next guy. If it contacts your body, make sure it contacts your body before you buy it. I had the luxury of going to a large automotive race show and sitting in every seat mfr imaginable including some I have never heard of before, and only one particular Sparco fit me, one really expensive bastard, and the US. Recaro, Kirkey, etc I didn't like.
PeeGreen 914
SO I went to Speedware Motorsports with my helmut and sat in every seat they had. I ended up getting the Sparco Evo2 Plus. Very comfortable seat. The Recaros pushed my head forward too much. The other seats I was interested in do not even come close to how comfortable this Sparco is. For the passenger seat I just got a Sparco Sprint. Good seat that isn't too comfprtable. That way I can give people rides but they won't want to stay in for too long biggrin.gif
purple
I probably am not going to help you much, but the most comfortable, yet supportive seats i've ever sat in are in my own 914, and they are no longer made. the company was NEX and i think they are out of business. they are a little wider than the other seats pictured in this thread,just perfect for my big ass.
PeeGreen 914
Yeah, I have sat in NEX seats before. The seats I ended up getting are not for the bigger person in mind, but then again I am rather skinney. I want ones that fit me well. The Sparco Evo2Plus is perfect as it is a little taller than the Evo2 and most of the people that drive my car are as tall or taller then I am. Most have a similar build as I do and so the seats should fit well for them too. I was trying to keep that in mind as well.
purple
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Mar 20 2008, 01:28 AM) *

Yeah, I have sat in NEX seats before. The seats I ended up getting are not for the bigger person in mind, but then again I am rather skinney. I want ones that fit me well. The Sparco Evo2Plus is perfect as it is a little taller than the Evo2 and most of the people that drive my car are as tall or taller then I am. Most have a similar build as I do and so the seats should fit well for them too. I was trying to keep that in mind as well.

okay, i'm not THAT big, i have a 34'' waist... but it's nice to not have to shimmy into a seat like my buddy's 993 recaros
Root_Werks
My avatar shows me sitting in the GTS seats I bought from CAMP914 over a year ago. I love them, although not racing seats, they are great. You have to be pretty thin to fit in them. They do a great job of holding a person in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.