Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sebring pics...and opinions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rleog
As I work through several gigabytes of images from Sebring I'll post some of the images here, moderators permitting.

Sebring is unique in American racing, historically and currently. It's likely still the best track for allowing spectators to view the action closely from so many different places on the track. With a decent camera, persistence and a little luck, good images can be had without the aid of a photographers press pass.

One of my favorite spots is turn 7, a right hand chicane approached from 6th gear speed, and, in late afternoon, complicated by having to drive directly into the setting sun.

Lizard 45 Flying at 7:05 PM:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r82/Rle...ar15096_800.jpg

IPB Image

Rleog
The inside line vs one of the Tafel 430's

IPB Image

1970 Neun vierzehn
Ooooooo, nice. Nice touch with the glowing brake rotors. Porsche vs Ferrari-classic rivalry, ya gotta love it. Thanks for posting.

Paul
davep
agree.gif And the Porsche brakes do not glow as bright!
Gint
You wouldn't have the rest of those pictures would you?

Edit: Found it. Thanks
Zimms
QUOTE(Rleog @ Mar 18 2008, 10:43 AM) *

Sebring is unique in American racing, historically and currently. It's likely still the best track for allowing spectators to view the action closely from so many different places on the track. With a decent camera, persistence and a little luck, good images can be had without the aid of a photographers press pass.

agree.gif I stayed on the north end this year. Did you get to see the Risi car go barreling into th hairpin?
Rleog
Fantastic shots, Zimms.

Though I spent a lot of time at turn 7, I was walking other sections of the course when things went bad for Ferrari. Couldn't believe I missed it when I got back to 7 and people were telling me what had happened. Just my luck!

Some more shots:

After Friday night partying, Saturday's sunrise carries along a unique alarm clock, the ALMS warm up to the 10 AM start.

IPB Image
Rleog
7:37 AM warm up laps.

The quickest way to improve the Ford GT would be to hire two professional drivers. It was often ludicrous to watch.

IPB Image
Rleog
7:53 AM, nearing the end of warm up laps. The shape of things to come:

IPB Image
Rleog
2:29 PM, the Risi Ferrari coming out of turn 5, gradually increasing its lead in GT2. This was one of my last sights of it.

IPB Image
Rleog
4:03 PM. Putting Tafel a lap down.

IPB Image
PeeGreen 914
swwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
ericread
Exceptional pictures! smilie_pokal.gif

Please post more...
Zimms
Thanks Bob. I really like all of the action shots you caught. Great stuff! Are you going to make it to Lime Rock or Petit? Another great track to shoot at.

What type of gear are you using?

Mark
Rleog
Mark: Lime Rock, probably. Petit - never been but would like to, work permitting.

Canon 20D with a 70 - 300 mm 1:4.5 - 5.6 DO IS. The low light evening shots at turn 7 rely on panning luck due to the relatively narrow aperature dictating slow shutter speeds. Fun just the same.

Yours?

More shots coming, but, like most of the stuff I work on, I can be really slow. (I think I hear Tangerine laughter in the background)
Zimms
Same body, 20D. I use a 300mm F4 IS USM for the longer stuff. I also have a 2x extender, but it takes away all of the auto focus. I have an 85mm 1.8 that I used in turn 16 that worked well.

Are you playing with the ISO in lower light situations? I pan like crazy, but if the shutter speeds lower than what I feel I can use to get a shot, I bump the ISO up to as much as 800 will negligable noise allowing me to use faster shutter speeds. I had the body set to shutter priority, and let the camera select the aperature based on the metering.

This year I stuck with shutter speeds between 1/125/s - 1/320/s. This seems to be a good working range.

The pit shots I took with no flash. I just increased the ISO again and had the aperature opened up to 2.0 on a 50mm lense.

Good stuff. Going next year?
FourBlades
Pardon me while I hijack this thread for some "action" shots from Sebring that aren't nearly as artistic.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
FourBlades
The access to the paddock and the grid before the race makes Sebring fantastic.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Getting a Porsche corall pass gives you parking right next to the main gate and has other fringe benefits like this car on display.

Click to view attachment

There was even a teener there for the historic races.

Click to view attachment

It always surprises me that I see more 356s at Daytona and Sebring races than 914s. Where are all the 914 owners in FL???

End of hijacking.
Rleog
Nice shots, FourBlades. Particularly of those curves!
Rleog
Mark

I also pushed to ISO 800 which just allowed me to encounter the same problem later in the evening. I just kept the aperature wide open and tried to pan as best I could with the low shutter speeds until I had to give up.

Here's Lizard 46 at 1/20 sec f5 and ISO 800

IPB Image

And the Fellows C6-R at 1/60 f5 and ISO 800

IPB Image

Zimms
Very nice! I love the blur and the glowing brakes.

Good shots Fourblades. I only saw that teener and the yellow series9 car this year. i was surprised there were none in the PorschePlatz.
FourBlades
Next year I plan to have my 914 there...hope to see more board members down in FL for the race.

Maybe I will sponsor a trackside BBQ if enough people want to go.... beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

John
Rleog
Trackside BBQ sounds great to me.

I'm sure you could get Mark and a few others to drop by if you invited those friends of yours
IPB Image
Madswede
Series9 and myself were also at Sebring, camped out on the infield side of turn 6 just past the drive over bridge. I have some decent pics I took with my old Minolta Dimage A1 to post ... will get to them when I can, they're on Series9's Mac right now.

My first trip ever to Florida, and I went straight to Sebring for the race. aktion035.gif What a great trip, what a great track!

Joe's 914 RS was there, got a lot of comments about that from people wandering around. Good times. We tentatively plan to debut my 914 Series9 project next year (will be a 3.2 version, so not quite as crazy, but should still be a gorgeous car by then ... and fast and loud).

Anyway, I got some neat pics of the 914s racing in the classic event as well as the prototypes and Flying Lizard's GT3 RSR cars. Not quite as nice as the others on this thread already, but ... well, I'll get 'em on when I can.

Hope to see more 914World folks there next year! Cheers!

- Nelson
Zimms
I'm in, Nelson. I saw Joe's car around the start/finish line Saturday morning, but never found you guys. I really want to check out his 914.

Looking forward to the photo's. I missed the historics.

Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.