Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gettin a corner balance and alignment today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
When I set up the appointment they suggested I might save a little money if I set the ride heigth myself. Sounds good to me cause I'm payin real Porsche shop labor. So I start my car doin the automotive limbo.
"Hooow Looow can Yooou Gooo?". So I adjust and drive and adjust and drive. Lower one corner 1/2 turn then back up a 1/4 turn, over and over. (No one should tell a dentist to get it just right we get kinda picky) headbang.gif

I get all done and remember my new sway bar. ohmy.gif (It's still hooked up). So I check and it's preloaded so I had to adjust the heigth again. Second time went a lot faster.

Anyway I'm gonna see if I can take a few pictures today.

Dave
redshift
Wear a sweater, another sweater, a jacket, and two pairs of socks.. oh, and you may want to get out your Jester hat.. I hear the Arctic air is coming back on us!

sad.gif

M
DNHunt
Miles. What you talking about? Supposed to be in the mid 50's today here. If it's not raining (fat chance, that's why everything's green) I might take the top off for a while. It just doesn't get better than that here in the winter.

Dave
rhodyguy
an umbrella is the tool for the day, so i'm stuck in the jetta. there is nothing to do except look at a few cars at park place while your car is at fordahls. even breakfast at lenny's, er denny's is a lloonngg walk. i'm going to drive up and taxi dave around bellevue, seattle, where ever. i should be there aound 10-10:30. see you in a bit dave. your laptop is next to my keys so i don't forget it. is that stange noise still there?

kevin
redshift
Really? They were just talking on the radio.. (you know how they talk on the radio) and said you guys were about to get socked again!

smile.gif

Oh well! It's in the mid 50's here... right now.

M
rhodyguy
miles, washington state not d.c. laugh.gif

kevin
DNHunt
Maybe he thought we were from that other Washington. We be from that place way out to the left and up close to Alaska.

Dave
Neal
This Fordahls shop, I hear about it all the time. Whats the skinny are they 914 god's or something ?

Neal
Bleyseng
Its a race shop. Greg races a 914/6 and wins the AX around here and a the SCCA AX's. Jody his wife is the local PCA President and runs the local AX's in Bremerton.
I dunno if they are good at 914 standard repairs but they do good work.

Geoff
RustyWa
How much do they charge for an alignment?
DNHunt
Eric

Here's the bill

Weight balance chassis to Specs $95
Competition 4 way Alignment $125
Alignment shims $7
Total $237

The car's a money pit. Couldn't tell if it was money well spent yet. I had 50 miles of bumper to bumper traffic 2hrs. As far as I can tell it goes were I point it. It might be my imagination but I think the left rear stays planted better. I know it sure goes straight. I think I could comb all of my lovely hair and still be going the direction I started in. Hope to do a driver's skill day Sunday so I should know a lot more then.

Dave
redshift
Noone said "Washington" on the radio... they said PNW.. yeah, THEY are on crack... not ME.. smile.gif

I believe everything i hear on the morning drive show..

Still, bundle up, you never can be too warm!

heh

M
rhodyguy
dave, i forgot to thank you for lunch. thank you for lunch!!! yes, it was a fun drive home. the experience music project was interesting. emp is the museum that paul allen got rolling. miles, have you ever seen a Rogue Aluminator? a billet body. pretty wild. pus the odd les paul, fender, you name it. it's there. for you guitar worshipers the emp is mecca.

kevin
Bleyseng
Yep, EMP is waay cool. Did you make music upstairs in the studio booths?
It is slanted towards the Seattle music scene but still an incredible place to spend a day.
www.emplive.com

Geoff
swood
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jan 14 2004, 07:59 PM)
Yep, EMP is waay cool. Did you make music upstairs in the studio booths?
It is slanted towards the Seattle music scene but still an incredible place to spend a day.
www.emplive.com

Geoff

Geoff, I think its real cool too.

Check out what I just finished working on.
Walt Disney Concert Hall

The most intense, complicated construction project I've ever worked on. Way Cool Jr.!
RustyWa
Thanks Dave.
rhodyguy
there were a number of school field trips. all we ever went to was the museum of nat hist. i found it interesting how many people made their first recordings in seattle. seeing the names of the local bands from the 60's, the numerous venues, really took me back a few years. we ate at emp too. the food is very good.

kevin
DNHunt
Finally got a chance to drive the car when it was dry and traffic wasn't all backed up.

IT IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CAR. It certainly more competant than the driver. "ll have to do something about that.

I took it out over roads I have driven many times in hopes of getting some kind of input on what was different but since I made so many changes I really can't single out anything (I know for evaluation you should only change one thing at a time).

Turbo tie rods and alignment contributed to very precise steering. I was used to the old stuff and thought it was OK but this goes where you point it right now. I found that I was turning into the corners just a little early from memory (that was kinda scary). I am sure anyone riding with me or watching would have either sh*t or laughed. I'm sure seat time will help that. When you point it straight ahead it goes straight ahead with almost no input. Really cool. MDB2.gif

The car is much flatter do to the addition of a front bar and stiffer spring rates (19mm bar, 21mm t-bars, 150lbs rears and Koni yellows all 4 corners still full soft). I'm guessing but, the flatter handling and the rear alignment have really helped with right rear traction in the corners. Now I just need some new rubber. Only a few spots on the highway are noticably rough. All in all I think Jason helped me hit the combination just right for me. smile.gif

Braking has tightened up. It stops quicker and straighter even though I did nothing to the brakes.

I had no idea these cars could do this. I always knew mine could be better but I never expected this. boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

Dave
Bleyseng
Yep, pretty amazing little cars when you throw money at 'em!

Geoff
JeffBowlsby
Did Fordahl ever have or race a 914 Limited Edition Bumblebee? I heard a rumor that he did...just wanted confirmation from anyone that knew for sure.

JB
Bleyseng
I'll ask him next time but I thought he has been running this same 914/6 for years thou its evolved alot.

Geoff

Maybe the LE was the car Leeds was AXing for awhile.
DNHunt
Hell Geoff I didn't throw money at the car. It was a conversation with you that convinced me to do this. You asked me how long I've had the car and I said since 82. You then asked how much I had done to the suspension and I said strut cartridges and replaced a broken spring. You said I was due. Since then it's been more like the car is a money vacuum. It just disappears.

Dave
Bleyseng
Yeah, but if you spread the money across 20 years you still got off cheap! Plus now you have a great handling car that you can really enjoy.
Hows the motor budget coming! haha

Geoff
Mike T
QUOTE(Neal @ Jan 14 2004, 07:22 AM)
This Fordahls shop, I hear about it all the time. Whats the skinny are they 914 god's or something ?

Neal

I've watched the Fordahls drive around autocross courses at the SCCA Solo II nationals many times. Yes, they are gods. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif clap56.gif

Mike T
Bleyseng
Yep, I watch them and Leeds drive at every AX and always get my butt kicked big time. I do ask Leeds lots of questions where there is time. Plus he likes Blair as a driver.

Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.