Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lack of motivation ..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
i was only a few days away from having my 914 run again when it was stolen. i had all the parts to fix it, new engine harness, new alternator etc. McMark even stopped by to help me with the starter and harness (i have no real tools or jackstands at my house) ...

but ever since i got the car back from the police, i have been avoiding it. dry.gif

i somehow still feel violated ...
sheeplove.gif Andy
chris914
I get mad at my stupid car all of the time. Go off and do something else for a while. Then when you come back it will fun again.
blitZ
Perhaps you and your car should take a hot shower together and get a clean start.

I go through phases of serious work to be followed by a period of procrastination. Keep at it, racing season is starting.
porschecb
Andy. I felt the same way when I got mine back. But since then i have had the dent fixed and primed now need to get the paint sanded down and ready to go to paint but like you i am not in a hurry for some reason. sad.gif

Michael
r_towle
Andy, remember how fast it is....huh

Pick a target event, like an autox, and get it done for that event.
It will give you a target.

Tell everyone you will be at the event, brag about how fast the car is.

Then you HAVE to fix it by the event or you will not be cool.

Rich
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 18 2008, 10:11 AM) *

i was only a few days away from having my 914 run again when it was stolen. i had all the parts to fix it, new engine harness, new alternator etc. McMark even stopped by to help me with the starter and harness (i have no real tools or jackstands at my house) ...

but ever since i got the car back from the police, i have been avoiding it. dry.gif

sheeplove.gif Andy

I'm usually not such a vengeful person BUT.... I'd seriously like to bitch-slap every person that ripped me off. ar15.gif Mother *uckers.

I've taken a couple days off of Bebe before repairs to the pump. Just can't get down to the garage yet. Zero motivation. I guess it's not uncommon. drunk.gif

I'm free today. What needs to be done? poke.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Mar 18 2008, 09:21 AM) *

all that's left is to put the upper intake back on, hook up all the sensors, clean out the oil sludge from the oil filler neck, put in the new battery and she should start right up ...

wanna come over and hang out?
beerchug.gif Andy
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 18 2008, 10:33 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Mar 18 2008, 09:21 AM) *

all that's left is to put the upper intake back on, hook up all the sensors, clean out the oil sludge from the oil filler neck, put in the new battery and she should start right up ...

wanna come over and hang out?
beerchug.gif Andy

Sure.
VaccaRabite
I go through phases too. I will be uber motivated for a few weeks, then won't want to look at it for a week or so. Burnout cycles I suppose.

Zach
toon1
I'm gettin that awy(even lost the motivation the spell "WAY" right) myself! it sometimes seems like it never ends with these cars.

I have to pull the motor for the third time! it does get frustrating.

i just think of how much fun it is to drive the car and the weather is getting nice, that keeps up some of the motivation
rick 918-S
I have all the motovation in the world. But I got called to assist with claims over in Wisconsin. So I'm either traveling to and from or sitting here until midnight writting estimates and reports.

Then before I can get back to mine I need to finish my friends Mercedes... screwy.gif With the way things are going my car will sit all summer with a seized engine. confused24.gif Talk about depressing! sad.gif
biosurfer1
dont let the theives get to you... if it hadn't been for them, you'd be driving and enjoying the 3.6 right now.

F them and get that thing running... then drive around with your middle finger out the top and hope they see you:) finger.gif

edit: on second thought, if you live in a questionable area, the middle finger thing might not be the best course of action
GTeener
Bummer your car got stolen but excellent it was found!
My car has been sitting in the garage for a long time. I've driven her a couple of times. She seems to be running strong. I'm a little afeared of pressing my luck now that I don't work with a bunch of mechanics laugh.gif The weather has been nice though...
Gint
It happens. I've had stuff stolen from a car before and that was bad enough. I know the feeling... and I would miss a 914 badly if I didn't have at least one that was running.

I'm gearing up to drop the motor, swap the transaxle, fix the oil leaks and do a valve adjustment on the driver.

I still need to get off my ass and get the /6 finished. I have most of the parts.
sww914
It happens. My neighbor has a real 356 Speedster that is just a shell right now. He completely disassembled the car and sent it off with a rotisserie for body & paint work. It took the body guy 4 1/2 years. It's been sitting on a rack with a perfectly restored body and a perfect paint job for 2 years, untouched. I'm trying to motivate him some, but he says that all of his enthusiasm is gone after getting screwed and screwed around by the body guy for so long.
I've found that I'm very motivated when I have a perfect balance of anti-depressants, caffeine, anti-anxiety medicine, ginseng, and nicotine in my blood.
Other than that, I'm pretty much screwed. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
dw914er
im sorta the same way now

i fixed my intake seals and stuff (ended up as 90 bucks in parts) and the shop located the 'leaks' so that was another 150

so ive already spent more than 200, and i spent about 5 hours fixing the gaskets and boots

guess what, it didnt make the car run any better

i am just tired of that bs now, so hopefully i can get it to the shop and see what really is the problem, now i just need to wait for when im back at home again ( i live in redlands, but go to school in san luis obispo)

but i will get my car fixed, and so will you, just sh*t happens, and it throws off your intended plan
cuca914
QUOTE(sww914 @ Mar 18 2008, 04:20 PM) *

I've found that I'm very motivated when I have a perfect balance of anti-depressants, caffeine, anti-anxiety medicine, ginseng, and nicotine in my blood.
Other than that, I'm pretty much screwed. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif blink.gif idea.gif
KaptKaos
You are in a gumption trap. You need to identify what's bugging you and fix that and the rest should fall in line.

Methinks your fear is that you'll fix it and the fuchers will take it again. It's safe as long as it doesn't run. If it were running, they'd never have left it.

Get Lo-Jack, put the stickers on it and git er done!
iamchappy
Rick has all the motivation in the world, he got me out of my funk by driving down and spending a day working on my car with me, thats all it took, and i was ready to go at it again. I could never thank Rick enough for his inspiration.

You need to get assimilated. alien.gif assimilate.gif
Root_Werks
Keep your spirits up Andy. I go through spirts on my 914 all the time. Just step away for a while and you'll miss it. smile.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 18 2008, 11:11 AM) *

sheeplove.gif Andy

Bud! Get over it!

Yeppir, you've been violated. In any other case, you'd have a smile on your face!

Seriously, I had somthing like that happen - didn't want the Porsche, just the stuff inside. Cops caught they guy two miles away with 19 cellpones in his pockets and two radar detectors. He was on foot at 2 am & stupid. My wife's Passat was trashed inside - and I mean trashed!

Get back into life - these things happen & they pass. We depend on you to make the ultimate 914. Do it!
Pat
degreeoff
smoke.gif I found that when I quit smokin grass I got better....exept when it came to abstract art....but seriously..... happy11.gif

My car sat for the better part of three years to get it to where it is with a total of 6-7 months of 'ON TIME'.....so for what its worth ....throw the bitch together smash.gif and drive er like you stole er!
LarryR
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 18 2008, 09:11 AM) *

sheeplove.gif Andy

I actually think there is a common disassociation phenomena with a recovered stolen vehicle. My sister actually had 2 cars stolen from her. Both times when they were recovered she wanted absolutely nothing to do with them. The first one was an 89 blazer that was stolen from her back in 94 before it was stolen it was a 68K mile cream puff. It came back with a couple of scratches and not much else wrong (steering column of course) I had it fixed perfectly for her but she got rid of it none the less about 2 weeks later.

The same thing happened with the 93 chevy short bed step side truck she got after that ... that got stolen in 96 ... they stole the seats and wheels so I put new seats and wheels on it for her and she sold it right after that.

Theropy would be cheaper than starting over beerchug.gif
roadster fan
QUOTE(sww914 @ Mar 18 2008, 03:20 PM) *

av-943.gif

Yep sounds like you just needed a boost. I just read the thread where you and Dr. Roger got the car going, awesome.

Jim
championgt1
I read this thread and thought wow I should go work on the car. Went out to the garage threw a couple of parts on the car. I hooked up the 4 month old Optima battery and hit the key, nothing! Damn near brand new battery and it is only putting out 9.4 volts. WTF.gif Talk about a motivation killer. headbang.gif
krazykonrad
QUit working on it, don't read any Porsche articles, get off the websites, and just quit thinking about it. In a week or two, you'll get the itch back and you'll be ready to go.
Vielen Gluck!
Konrad
914werke
I know this exact feeling. Not related to haveing my car stolen but buy simply
being screwed by a vendor (Story) who had, then ceased supplying me parts. mad.gif
Went into a funk and didnt want to work on restoring it at all.
Just recently started getting the bug again ...so back at it.
Twise
When I get to feeling that way - I go work on someone elses car - That usually motivates me. Hang in there bud... Festival of speed is coming up...
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Twise @ Mar 19 2008, 02:22 AM) *

When I get to feeling that way - I go work on someone elses car - That usually motivates me.

Man, this is so true.

When my interest for the car is sitting for a while, helping someone else is always a huge shot in the arm.

Zach
GTeener
Maybe installing a secret kill switch will get you back in the groove idea.gif
angerosa
This kind of happened to me. I had done a lot of work on my Maserati and it was finally running pretty well and getting really fun to drive and dependable. I had spent a lot of money through one winter and in a strange twist of events, I had driven it somewhere and was whisked from that location to a surprise party in my honor basically one mile away. Later in the party people wanted to see the car which was at the other place they picked me up from so my girlfriend (now wife) and my best friend went to go get it. It was taking along time, they were literally five minute away and people at my party started to look funny. After about 20 minutes everyone was like " where are they"? At 25 minutes my best friend turned the corner and the car had front end damage. He had taken the one turn he had to make really quickly and crashed more or less head on into a high curve.

Long story short. After 5 times on different frame straighteners and trying to keep up all the maintenance as well, the car was never the same in my eyes again. Lots of money to bring it back to what it was before the accident. The accident happened in 1996 and I just sold the car last summer (2007). It sat in my apartment parking space and eventually in my garage under a cover for several years without me even looking at it. When I sold it last year I felt like a great weight had been lifted off my shoulders. My wife says she's glad to see me excited about a car again (speaking about the 914).

But Andy - I don't think this will happen to you. blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.