Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pushrod seals and other questions!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
So i FINALLY got my engine torn down to the bare case and ive got the new pushrod seals laying here so naturally I think to myself "you should do the pushrod seals" smile.gif

now to begin, i have NO engine experience whatsoever and the only things i know are from what ive learned from ya'll and my sh*tty haynes manual

im learning this stuff as i go and im loving every minute of it... yes theres frustrating times, but it's worth it!!

now to the nitty gritty...

i dont know what "TDC" means or how to adjust valves... during my searching, i failed to find useful pics of this process... ive come across "quick and dirty" how-to steps, but again, no pics... and my hi-def (sarcasm) pics in my haynes manual arent very helpful...

i already (most likely prematurely) flipped those arm things down and took off the "valve covers" (see im learning) to reveal more parts that i dont know the names of lol

can someone with a lot of time on their hands or someone who has "been there done that" lay it out for me in terms of step by step replacement procedure and some pics to go with it? (things like: places to clean real well, things to watch out for, tips for reinstall) i read a while back where pelican was gonna have a how-to, but its still nonexistent...

thanks so much
Dave_Darling
TDC is "Top Dead Center". It generally means that a given piston is at the top of its travel and that both valves for that cylinder are closed.

You find TDC by looking for marks on the fan and/or flywheel. See the "how to set your timing" tech article on Pelican for the fan marks; they are at the rear of the fan and you just about have to stand on your head in the engine bay to see them without a mirror. The mark on the flywheel can be seen through a notch on the bottom of the transmission where it bolts up to the engine.

So, you line up one of those marks by rotating the engine. I usually have one rear wheel up in the air and the other on the ground, put the transmission in 5th gear, and rotate the wheel that is in the air. It's good to have a helper to turn the wheel while you look for marks (or they look while you turn). Either that, or a bunch of mirrors.

Then go around and check to see which cylinder has both of the "rocker arms" (those are the things that rock up and down to push the valves open) loose, with a little slack to them. Whichever one has slack in both is the one that is at TDC.

Now you can remove the two nuts off that hold the shaft that the two rocker arms for that cylinder ride on. They'll take an 11mm wrench. You can remove the rocker arms and the shaft. Keep them together, and keep dirt out of them. There will be a bent piece of wire that is sitting in slots in the parts that the studs go through, just pull it enough to get it un-slotted. Oh, and make sure those parts that the studs went through stay in the right orientation. The spring on the shaft will push everything apart; make sure you can line it back up again the way it originally was.

Anyway, then you put on some heavy gloves and grab the pushrod tube from under the motor. Pull outward on it, and twist. It will come loose, and you will smack your hand into the cylinder head. (That's why you use heavy gloves!) You can also use pliers if you are very careful not to dent the tubes much. You don't have to pull the tube all the way out of the head, just leave it hanging by its middle.

You should be able to pull the old seals off the ends of the tube and put the new ones on at this point. (You'll have to slide the pushrod around a bit for the inboard end of the tube.) Clean up the bores where the tube goes as best you can, oil the new seals (or use "silicone paste lubricant"--not RTV goop!), and slide the tube back into the head. Repeat with the other tube.

Then you get the fun part of putting it all back together again.

On some motors, it can be a bit of a challenge to get and keep the inboard end of the pushrod sitting correctly in the concave part of the lifter. If you get the rockers back on with the stands seated against the head and you don't have any slack in the rocker arms, the pushrods aren't seated correctly. Futz with it until it is. (You can sometimes use assembly lube to hold the inner end of the pushrod in place.) I have used part of an L-shaped tool as the fulcrum of a lever so I could push the inner end of the pushrod upwards.

Getting the rocker arms, shafts, and the "stands" (the parts that the studs go through) all on there at the same time, in the right place, with the pushrods seated correctly, can be a bit of a challenge. I have sometimes wished for three or four hands to do that job.

Anyway, once you get it pushed up against the head, snug up the nuts you took off earlier (make sure to put the washers on before the nuts!). Once they're on finger-tight, use a torque wrench and torque them to TEN lb-ft.

Then hook the bent-wire thingie into the channels on the bottom of the rocker stands. Make sure that the downward-pointing parts of the wire sit on the shoulders of the tube, and do not go down inside the tube. If they do, they'll wear through your pushrods. Oops!

Once you've gotten through this whole thing, you have three more cylinders to go!

I think it may have taken longer to type this all out than for me to do it any more... wink.gif

--DD
krazykonrad
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Mar 18 2008, 03:33 PM) *

my hi-def (sarcasm) pics in my haynes manual arent very helpful...

No joke! those things are taken in the pitch dark in front of an imaginary Porsche!

Konrad
KaptKaos
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 18 2008, 07:25 PM) *

Anyway, then you put on some heavy gloves and grab the pushrod tube from under the motor. Pull outward on it, and twist. It will come loose, and you will smack your hand into the cylinder head. (That's why you use heavy gloves!)

agree.gif

Use heavy gloves and take your time it will wiggle out. If you soak the pushrod tubes in acetone, the old seals will expand and come off easily. Be careful with a screw driver or knife trying to get the old seals off, you don't want to muck up the groove the seals go into.

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 18 2008, 07:25 PM) *

Clean up the bores where the tube goes as best you can, oil the new seals (or use "silicone paste lubricant"--not RTV goop!), and slide the tube back into the head. Repeat with the other tube.

I used locktite 545 (if i recall correctly, search the forum for it). Its a silicon lube and doesn't break down over time.

BE CAREFUL WHEN PUTTING THE TUBES BACK IN! Check the seals as you push them in to make sure none of them have gotten pinched or have wiggled out on either side. Check it a few times, it will save you later. Please note that the seal kit I got from PP had a few different seals in it. Check, double check, post pix, whatever to make sure you get it right before you put the rockers back on.

Good luck and post pix of your progress!
G e o r g e
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Mar 18 2008, 08:28 PM) *

QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Mar 18 2008, 03:33 PM) *

my hi-def (sarcasm) pics in my Haynes manual aren't very helpful...

No joke! those things are taken in the pitch dark in front of an imaginary Porsche!

Konrad

I have a Haynes from 76 and the pictures are pretty good,

I also have a new copy i bought off eBay for 6$ and their horrible
euro911
QUOTE(George H. @ Mar 18 2008, 09:58 PM) *
I have a Haynes from 76 and the pictures are pretty good,

I also have a new copy i bought off eBay for 6$ and their horrible

You get what you pay for George shades.gif

Don't forget that you need to torque your head nuts back on in a sequence. You should find the torque specifications and sequence in any 914 manual you have.

I typically torque heads to roughly half-value, then go back and re-torque them to full value on a second go-around.

Ah-ha ... lookie what I found:
pete914
DD's explanation looks to be about all you need. But auto atlanta puts out a book with a DIY in it. Also, if you order their seal kit, they'll send you instructions. I need to do this but I keep putting it off...
Next oil change I swear
stateofidleness
dave i appreciate the help but i have the engine out of the car..
valve covers are off and the innards are taunting me...

how can i find this "TDC" without being able to "turn" the engine or whatever with one tire off the ground (doesnt apply)...

should i post pics of where im at?
G e o r g e
can you put a wrench/socket on the alternator, to turn engine?

stateofidleness
is that how its done? sweet... like i said, im a noob to all this... surprised i made it this far
SLITS
To find TDC ...

Pull #1 spark plug

Stick your finger in the spark plug hole

Have someone start turning the engine with a wrench (22mm?) on the alternator nut.

When you start to feel pressure on your finger (you're on the compression stroke), look in the timing hole while rotating the engine. If it's marked you will see the line on the fan come into view in the slot ... generally painted white. Line the mark up in the center of the slot and you'll be at TDC #1. Remember there is usually a mark for the timing too. Look at the picture on page 65 (fig 3.4) of your Haynes manual. You can get an idea of where each mark should be. If you don't have a Haynes manual, you're shit outta luck.

The slot in the flywheel lines up with the split in the case
sww914
There's a really nice article on how to adjust 914 valves, with pictures, Here-
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...alve_adjust.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.