Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Name all the years that 911 rear hubs fit the 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Zeke
Would it be '65 thru '73 or '71? Of not even that?
Zeke
Damn! 31 veiws and no one knows what early hubs are the "ones?" Come on you experts! beer.gif
Brad Roberts
69 -73

I sell them for 125 apiece, but you still need 9146 stub axles or early 911 stubs with large CV.

B
Mike D.
huh.gif - So that would be...NONE?!
otto
We have the stub axles. Steve
Well - just went through this with my mechanic. He does not support using the 911 hubs at all. Something about a spacer needed to correctly fit vented rotors and this spacer really is not safe for anything other than light street use. Anyone else?
Bleyseng
Back to this topic, why do you think you need the rears vented? The feeling is for street or AX/DEs its a waste of time. Maybe or a all out track car.
What brakes do you have up front? Engine size?

Geoff
Brad Roberts
We dont run vented rear rotors.. use a stock 9146 rear rotor.

We are talking about the "hubs" that go into the wheel bearing. smile.gif

Steve, can you give us the price on the repo 9146 stub axles (in public) ?? so everyone will know that you supply half the vendors with these and to just buy direct from you.

B
guess my application is pretty specific - going with boxster monoblocks up front with carrera M wides in the rear. running a 2.4 this year.
davep
Okay, so the spacer is fitted between the hub and the rotor to properly space the vented rotor in the center of the caliper. The factory has used spacers, front and rear in race cars since at least 1970. The are listed in the 914/6 GT spare parts list. The factory spacers, just alluded to, are placed between the rotor and the rim and are used to widen the track of the car and to permit wider tires to fit.

If the factory considered spacers safe to use in this application, then why would it not be permissible to use it to center the rotors?

You could use spacers to move the caliper back, although there may not be enough clearance there. There is already a spacer there anyway: the bracket holding the dust shield. I really don't see a problem in using a spacer between the hub and rotor.

DaveP BTDT
Zeke
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Jan 14 2004, 12:31 PM)
huh.gif - So that would be...NONE?!

Well, that would be my way of thinking. Unless you already have 914/6 axles in your car, in which case you'd not need five stud hubs. Thanks for straigtening this out for me, you saved me some money. I'll continue to use my Troutman redrilled hubs until the whole axle setup comes along for the right price. BTW, Brad, I was getting these for low $.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(1973914 @ Jan 14 2004, 12:35 PM)
Well - just went through this with my mechanic.  He does not support using the 911 hubs at all.

per the PET:

914.6 rear hub --- 901.331.065.09
'71 911 rear hub - 901.331.065.09

IOW - same part.

2,7 Carrera RS -- 901.331.065.07 (same hub, longer studs)

on my car, with spaced 914.6 rear calipers and vented 911 disks, we used a 3mm (1/8") spacer between the hub and the disk. there really isn't room to move the caliper inboard - it hits the trailing arm. anyway - the only real effect to make the drive lugs 3mm shorter and increase the rear track 1/4".
echocanyons
are the hub part numbers
e 695 331 903 00.....65 356 no match

e 904 331 065 07 .....65-68 911
e 901 331 065 09......69-73 911
e 901 331 065 33....74 911
This board is great - lots of facts, not just opinions. Will review with him and at the very least post pics of what the result is. Will be posting project pics at some point to let everyone see the dramatic change (at least to me) from a street/de to a full DE/Racer 914.
smrz914
Kind of on a side note for the big HP 914s...If I went with lets say a 915 or 930 tranny and used the 911 hubs and the axles from the 915 or 930 then it would work?
914gem
I have 10mm spacers that fit between the 914 rear caliper halves so you can run a vented rotor and keep your e-brake. I'm also working on using 1971 911 hubs, trans and hub stubs, and axles. The axles are about 3/4 inch to short. To solve this I cut the welds from the hub bearind housing tube and slid the tube in 3/4 inch. Then I rotated the tube to where the caliper mounted on top and foward of the trailing arm. I used late model calipers with dual bleeders. I can now run 911 parts with out spacers and should be able to run 7X16 wheels. I have the passanger side to finish, and put the cable mounts on. The trans stub from the 71 911 is a bolt on item. Also I will be running vented rotors with 914 rear calipers using 10mm spacers between the caliper halves. I've been taking pictures so when I finish and make sure this works I can pass it on. Sometime in March or April.
Brad Roberts
The 3/4 inch doesnt need to be addressed. They work just fine. We have been putting 300lb ft of torque thru them for 6-8 years now in a V8 conversion car. The CV joints have Soooo much travel/play in them that the 3/4 difference divided by the two CV's and the limited amount of rear trailing arm travel make it a none issue. I am running about 16 sets of these out there this way... no failures and not even a hint.

Jimmy,

You should try and see if you can purchase a digital camera..so you can shoot some pics of the projects you have going.

b
steve@ottosvenice.com
Stubb Axles are $245 each.Steve
Brad Roberts
Steve,

Do you know what material they are made out of ?? I used to have them made in 300M Stainless.

B
Malmz
How about a pair of tranny output shafts from a 911 901 trans that will fit 911 half-shafts. Anybody have those for a cheapo price or trade?

I have head the 72s fit, but do any other years fit?

I would sure like to drop my tall 5th gear tranny in my car someday...

Actually drove the car today. Popped the top, took the boy to school and went to the office and made the reverse trip at the end of the day. I seem to get a lot of looks with the loud engine, full cage w/ harnesses, etc. etc....

sm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.