Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: motorcycle engine powered 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WolfR32
Has anyone seen one? Is it even possible?
dug
I have thought about it. Need to get the weight down as much as possible.
Hayabusa engine will run you about $3k.
There are several options for differentials with limited slip and reverse in the 2-3k range. DIY no-reverse solutions are possible. Pushing a 914 out of parking spots is no big deal:) See this thread: http://www.minibuggy.net/modules.php?name=...topic&t=261

Questions I don't have answers to:
How much less will the car weigh because of the engine swap?
How long will the transmission/clutch last with 1500-2000 lbs to haul around?
How light can you get the 914 with fiberglass fenders/hoods/bumpers/smaller gas tank/etc?
Would the drivability suck after all that $ and work?

Mmmmm, 13,000 rpm.

The engine I'd really like to see in a 914 is this hayabusa/powertec 2.6 V8:
http://www.powertecracing.com/

cheers,
dug
Root_Werks
Anythings possible with $$$ of course. Maybe put your sights on a Gold Wing engine? I know the trany's have reverse. idea.gif
rick 918-S
Not enough torque. I'm working on the plans for a cycle powered vehicle but it will be scratch built. All light 4130 bird cage tubing and aluminum or glas skin.
Your asking that cycle engine to move a tremedous amount of weight compared to it's design intent. It would probably work fine until you tried to pull a hill and had to shift down a couple of clicks. First the stress on the engine would require alot more throttle, ie. more fuel. And that would likely be the end of the clutch.
yenningComity
Ive seen old mini coopers with them, but for a 914 it would need to be gutted. You would probably need fiberglass everything to boot.
BIGKAT_83
I look at a 1800cc goldwing engine as a conversion a couple of years ago. IIRC the max torque output was way higher that a 2L T4 engine at a even lower rpm.

Do a search for a Ultima Kit car with 2 Busa engines,one in the front and one in the rear all wheel drive,ran over 200mph and low 3 sec 0-60 times.
yenningComity
I don't doubt that the engine isn't fully capable of it, but the transmission? This idea has been discussed for the mr2 mki's quite a bit which weigh about what our cars do, and the answer was no due to the transmission issue.
ericread
Just think... Then we can add a sidecar!!! piratenanner.gif I wonder how this would affect the AX classification?
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(ericread @ Mar 19 2008, 01:30 PM) *

Just think... Then we can add a sidecar!!! piratenanner.gif I wonder how this would affect the AX classification?

Wouldn't that put you in the 'Outrigger' class?
SirAndy
QUOTE(WolfR32 @ Mar 18 2008, 11:49 PM) *

no torque to speak of anywhere in the rpm range to move those 2300 lbs around ...

so, unless you want a total slug that sounds like a sewing machine on steroids ...
shades.gif Andy
swl
Speaking of a sewing machine on steroids...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3h8KdtuBBLM
kart54
Actually not a terrible idea. Several bike engines have more torque and more horsepower than a stock 2.0.
If I had a choice it would be the new Supercharged direct injected sea doo engine. 225 horsepower and 180 pounds of torque in a package that weighs substantially less than a porsche 4 banger. Shouldn't be to difficult to fab up a bellhousing and flywheel to mate it to the 901 transaxle and all the goodies are on the engine already in a compact package

Kart54
Sparky
Isn't that actually the Aprilla 1000cc? They are using it in the Can-Am Spyder.

QUOTE(kart54 @ Mar 19 2008, 08:03 PM) *

Actually not a terrible idea. Several bike engines have more torque and more horsepower than a stock 2.0.
If I had a choice it would be the new Supercharged direct injected sea doo engine. 225 horsepower and 180 pounds of torque in a package that weighs substantially less than a porsche 4 banger. Shouldn't be to difficult to fab up a bellhousing and flywheel to mate it to the 901 transaxle and all the goodies are on the engine already in a compact package

Kart54

purple
All torque issues aside, I remember seeing a review of those trike cars with the one wheel in the back and two in front.
The t-rex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38TFetQAe2o

i seem to recall him saying that it's hard to drive because the clutch is meant to be operated with your hand, which has very fine control, where you have to operate that one with your left food, which is not even close in fine control. I think THAT would be more of an issue on a daily basis more than anything else. Neat idea...if you could use it on the 901 tranny
HillKing
Couple of bad ass Harley engines!!!
Would sound cool too.
purple
QUOTE(HillKing @ Mar 20 2008, 12:05 AM) *

Couple of bad ass Harley engines!!!
Would sound cool too.

take the exhaust off a type 4 and that's what you got!
HeavyHeavy
Just came across this:

http://www.carpenterracing.com/hayabusa.htm

Crazy HP for your motorcycle
Rand
If you built a TIV as high strung as these HO motorcycle engines, imagine the power you could have.

Even if the bike engine has adequate torque, my biggest concern would be breaking stuff. Motors and transmissions that are physically that small are designed to power bikes that weigh a fraction of what our car weighs. You suddenly add several times the weight to them, something is going to break. There's a reason bigger vehicles have bigger drivetrains. The parts need to be beefy enough to deal with the forces it takes to get that much weight moving quickly.
LarryR
I think this is extremely interesting. a 914 with a motorcyle engine would not weigh anywhere near 2300 pounds. I bet if you went with carbon fiber lids, race glass, carbon fiber seats, light weight carpet kit and a motorcycle engine you would be looking at somewhere around 1250 - 1500 pounds. A big honda goldwing must weigh at least 800 pounds.

I just think about the radicals that I have seen that absolutely fly with motorcycle engines. They sound incredible too.

Hope someone tries it beerchug.gif
Rand
Unless you chop like URY, you won't get a 914 that light. It would be tough to get a street legal 914 under 1800lbs. And that extra 1000++ lbs is what's going to take it's toll on the motorcycle drivetrain.

But don't get me wrong. Let me be clear about this: I ENCOURAGE YOU TO DO IT!!!!! Woot. Do it! Show us!
Dr. Roger
http://www.zcars.org.uk/ultima/index.htm
yellow1

Here is a link that has 2 914 powerd bikes. kneeslider
zymurgist
I saw a Fisher Fury at Carlisle a couple of years back. It had a Hayabusa engine and transmission in it. Owner says it was fast, but it also weighed in at under 900 pounds.
root

It's been done a once or twice.... Here's a mockup of the one I'm currently building.
I hope to have it rolling late this summer! I Custom built the rear wheel and swingarm for this beast to minimize cost plus I always wanted to design mine own one-off. welder.gif

Click to view attachment
root
Oh Shit! My bad I reversed it .....thought you wanted a 914 (TIV) powered bike! biggrin.gif
brer
the Rocket was blinding, new one out now.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/11/mclaren...ake-a-comeback/
keske968
If you were to use the Powertec 2.6l v8 you really should not have a problem. I used to ride sport bikes and with me on them they would weigh around 600lbs. Now you are talking 2 busa engines and a weight of 2k really should not be a problem. Espicially when that 2.6l outs out 360hp and 215 lb/ft. I say do it.
TROJANMAN
I think this was Alpha's genius idea a while back. He wanted to hook up 3 of them and make a V12 race car or something.........With a titanium frame of course.
lalankc
It's been done a once or twice.... Here's a mockup of the one I'm currently building.
I hope to have it rolling late this summer! I Custom built the rear wheel and swingarm for this beast to minimize cost plus I always wanted to design mine own one-off. welder.gif
Do three wheels count? Loyd
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.