Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weltmeister short shift kit components
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
What, exactly, is in the Welt "short shift kit"? I have one in the car, I hate it, and I'm wondering if I can drop in the shifter from the 72? Is the kit all contained in the shifter? I would think so, but I've never seen the kit or a picture of it.

Anybody?
campbellcj
IIRC the welt kit is simply a replacement lever (shorter) with a shortened "ball" pivot.

Personally I have used several short shift setups on 901 trannies and I never liked em.
campbellcj
Oh yeah, I think there is also a spacer plate that goes between the tunnel and the shifter assembly base.

So the shift ball fulcrum thingie must actually be longer than stock, not shorter. It's a "lever" physics thing, I always get it confused.
Gint
I know whatchya mean. I put a short shift kit my 40horse bug back when I was a teen. Slightly different setup, but basically just changing the pivot point of the lever.

Sounds like I can pull this shifter assembly and replace it with the oe from the 72 without too much trouble.
Brad Roberts
As long as the 72 is NOT a side shifter.. I'm pretty sure your 6 is a tail slapper. The proper terms.. its changes the fulcrum. I dont really like them.. however..it does help the old tail slappers. It gets rid of some of the slop.

B
Gint
I'd rather have the slop than dislocate my right shoulder. When the linkage and gearbox are cold, it's a bitch to get it into first gear. I often nick reverse looking for second. I suspect the lock plate is pretty worn, I know the springs suck. The 72 shifted pretty well for a "tail slapper", and I pulled the shifter yesterday after work. It's cherry.

My shoulder hurt for a week after driving this car home 1300 miles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.