Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: flare project progresses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
I have four wheels that I intend to use. 7x16 front, 8x16 rear. some old tires were on the wheels when i bought them: 225/50 front, 245/50 rear. i like the way they look but i think the front rubs on the inside (on the front of the frame) when the wheel is turned all the way. the body guy said a 1/4" space would solve the problem. any suggestions regarding the need for a spacer?

is this a good size of tire to use? if not, are there suggestions?

finally, what brand of tire for the suggested size would you suggest?
rick 918-S
Yes, Run the spacer. And you may need a small one in the rear as well. I run that same size tire and wheel.
cobra94563
I assume GT flares? If so I have 7's in the front w/ 1in spacer. The backs are 9's and could use a 1/4 in spacer.

One thing, your current tire sizes are of different height (if you hadn't noticed.) The common 16in sizes are 205/55 or 225/50 or 245/45 are all pretty close in diameter. your rear 245/50 is a little taller. I guess that is not a issue, except it will add in a slight rake and if you have a spare of a different size.
Twise
245 50 16's on all four corners with 1/4 inch spacers on all four corners.

So yes, run the spacer...
jfort
Thanks for the replies. OK, let me get this straight. The current 225/50 in front has a width of 8.86 inches and a height of 4.43 inches. For the current 245/50 it is 9.65" and 4.83". I assumed the more room in the rear allowed for a wider tire there. The flare is filled OK (maybe I'll change my mind when it is on the ground more). But in front, how could I run a 245/50? It is already rubbing with a 225/50. A mere 1/4" spacer would allow for such a wide tire up front without rubbing? Where is the problem -- inside on the frame or outside on the flare?

Any advice on the brand of tire I should buy for street use?
cobra94563
I ASS-ume... twise and others that run 245's in front (and rear) switch to 8in wheels in front and they have a wheel offset that keeps the increased width on the outside of the wheel.

You probably know this, but for example, if you went from a 7in to an 8in wheel with the same offset, you gain an 1/2 inch on the inside and outside. But since 8's have different offset, the inside stays the same and you gain the full 1 inch on the outside.

offsets are listed here:
http://members.rennlist.com/911pcars/WheelWts.html
SirAndy
QUOTE(jfort @ Mar 19 2008, 01:07 PM) *

7x16 front, 8x16 rear. some old tires were on the wheels when i bought them: 225/50 front, 245/50 rear.

those are good tire sizes for those wheels. i would replace them with the same size tires.

simply get longer wheelstuds and add spacers as needed. basically, mount the wheels right now without any spacers and then measure the distance from the top side of the tire to the fender lip. subtract 1/4" and that's how much spacer you'll need. get wheelstuds that are at least the same amount longer than what your current studs are. don't use the aluminium lugnuts, use the (correct!) steel lug nuts instead. torque the steel nuts to 100flbs.

for the street, i really like my Nangkang tires:
http://highperformancetire.com/home.php?cat=322 (scroll down on the page, your sizes are on the bottom)

bye1.gif Andy
jfort
you guys are great. thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.