Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Those with BMW calipers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scrz914
As stated above.

I asked the local 914 mechanic about installing new brake hoses. He wasn't sure if stock 914 rubber or SS braided would work since I had BMW front calipers.
For those that have BMW calipers, what have you installed for your brake hoses? I would like to get some of the SS braided but would hate to buy then find out there is a compatibility problem.

Thanks for your help.

StratPlayer
I have SS braided lines going to my BMW front brakes
wilchek
the rubber line has nothing to do with the calipers. However, the hard line from the caliper to the rubber line connection needs to be rebent for the BMW calipers. So, YES the normal rubber or stainless lines will work. Give GPR a call they have great prices on the lines. http://www.gprparts.com/
rick 918-S
Yes, actually it has nothing to do with the flex line. BTW: This caliper is mounted on the wrong side..
DanT
QUOTE(scrz914 @ Mar 19 2008, 04:48 PM) *

As stated above.

I asked the local 914 mechanic about installing new brake hoses. He wasn't sure if stock 914 rubber or SS braided would work since I had BMW front calipers.
For those that have BMW calipers, what have you installed for your brake hoses? I would like to get some of the SS braided but would hate to buy then find out there is a compatibility problem.

Thanks for your help.

Tony, use stock factory rubber hoses, not the SS braided. smile.gif
scrz914
Dan, I've heard this is an upgrade from various sources. Not sure why. When I had them installed on my SC I really didn't feel any difference. But local mechanics seem to really push them.
DanT
if they have a problem you can't see it. since they are wrapped in SS.
factory hoses are easy to inspect. I had SS lines on a couple of my first Porsches, but after having a long discussion with a factory trained Porsche mechanic with 30 years experience and who had built many personal and customer track cars, all of my cars since have had factory hoses. The Puttputt has factory hoses and they work as they should...
again the factory's R&D budget is much bigger than mine biggrin.gif

scrz914
I know the SS run about $70 a set. Are the stock rubber hoses about the same? What's a good source?

Tony
Eric_Shea
I think we can get ATE lines for around $50
scrz914
Thanks Eric, I might be calling you about calipers too.
sww914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 19 2008, 06:41 PM) *

Yes, actually it has nothing to do with the flex line. BTW: This caliper is mounted on the wrong side..

Is this from a Volvo? I remember Volvos having that dual brake line setup, but I don't remember any BMW's like that.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(sww914 @ Mar 19 2008, 06:49 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 19 2008, 06:41 PM) *

Is this from a Volvo? I remember Volvos having that dual brake line setup, but I don't remember any BMW's like that.

Nope, BMW 2002 4 piston for solid rotors. They don't require machining to bolt onto a 1972 strut. The pads ride exactly where the 914 pads ride. The pads on the 320 calipers ride over the rotor.

I had a set of those Volvo units. They were huge and heavy! Adding un-nesessary unsprung weight is not the way to go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.