Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Optima Battery
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
championgt1
My wife bought me a new redtop Optima for Christmas. A mere 3 months later(without being hooked up to the car) this thing is dead. Went to put it in the car and nothing. The voltage across the terminals is only 9.3 volts! I know that you can put a charger on these type of batteries, but is 9.3 volts just to the point were it is to far gone?

Thinking I should just return this thing. What do you think?
bfrymire
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Mar 19 2008, 08:13 PM) *

My wife bought me a new redtop Optima for Christmas. A mere 3 months later(without being hooked up to the car) this thing is dead. Went to put it in the car and nothing. The voltage across the terminals is only 9.3 volts! I know that you can put a charger on these type of batteries, but is 9.3 volts just to the point were it is to far gone?

Thinking I should just return this thing. What do you think?

About month back ,there was a thread on the Optima. THere was some good pointers there about the care and feeding of the Optima. Do a search and it should come up. Someone had a link to a website with info.

-- brett
championgt1
Did a search and read the thread you are talking about. I am just wondering if the battery being only 3 months old and only putting out 9.3volts if it should just be returned. When you spend $160 it should work after 3 months. headbang.gif
PeeGreen 914
YES. There is no reason they should not take it back. If you need one I have one. Take it back and get your money back and take the one from me wink.gif

Honestly, and interstate salesman would take the battery back if they sold it. They have the numbers and know it should last much longer than three months on the shelf.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

I have had 3 of them. There is a 7 yr. gaurantee on them,( it least at Auto Zone)

3 yr. 100 0/0. next 4 pro rated. They are difficult to charge, they have to really

cook them ( A.Z. term not mine) try haveing your local F.L.A.P.S. charge it up for

you. THen keep a Battery Maintainer on it at all times. That's my experience.

Dave slap.gif
rhodyguy
the incesnant cranking trying to start your car hasn't helped either jack. sent you a pm earlier.

k
keske968
i would think that you should be able to put it on a trickel charger and get it fired up. Thoes dry cell batteries are designed to be completley drianed and charge back up over and over agian. Althought it is kinda wierd that yours went dead so fast. I had an optima at one point that I shorted out accidently. Put it on a trickel charger and it was good to go.
horizontally-opposed
If it's a defective battery, take it back and ask for a new one. If your 914, like mine, has a significant draw, I'd have that fixed first.

I did, and have been using Optimas for nearly 20 years now. When I had the draw, I would disconnect the battery and reconnect it when I wanted to use the car. It NEVER failed to fire the motor up, sometimes when it was over 5-7 years old. Now, I leave it connected all the time and it always has the juice to start the car, even after a couple of weeks of sitting at times.

About the only thing I don't like about these batteries is the weight, but then their help in fighting rust is invaluable...and probably saved my car.

pete
euro911
I did a search on the Optima site and Porsche is not listed in the application guide. What group # or part # is best suited for 914's? unsure.gif

Also, I've seen both red-tops and yellow-tops in various 914's ... curious what has worked out the best for you guys? confused24.gif
blitZ
The 34R works in our cars. "R" for reverse terminals. I bought one, worked great for a few months, then died. Literally, I was driving the the entire electrical system stopped. Got the car restarted after a minute or so of sitting. Happened a few more times until I got home. I narrowed the problem down to the battery. Returned it for a new one and has been fine since. Good batteries, kind of quirky.
championgt1
I just returned the battery. They gave me another one and it seems to be good. I wonder how long some of these batteries sit on the shelf before they are bought.
drive-ability
My threshold is 10.5, anything under that and theres no resuscitating

2.1 volts per cell / times 6 = 12.6

12.6 - 2.1 = 10.5
Andyrew
My optima sat in my 914 for 2 years without running once. Twas dead, charged it up and ran fine, then my DD battery died and I replaced it with my optima. Been 6 months of DD in an Audi and it cranks harder than the old battery ever did!

Andrew
euro911
Looks like there have been a few issues with them, eh? ...

Has anyone used Odyssey batteries?

P.S. Your car looks good flared John! beerchug.gif
PeeGreen 914
I have and Odyssey that I am putting in and my buddy has on in his 911 RSA. It works very well and is only 15lbs.
euro911
Jon, which model # are you installing?

15 lbs. is really light-weight. Sounds like the PC 680xx cycle battery?

I'm looking at either the PC925xxx or the PC1200xxx (for a street car with high power stereo, electric heater, etc.)

PeeGreen 914
Yeah... It is the PC-680-SBX

The SBX stands for steel box. Helps for mounting and comes with poles. Otherwise you need to get them seperatly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.